The Beavers started their scoring early in the contest picking up victories at all three doubles positions. The No. 1 doubles team of Kali Welu (Pequot Lakes, Minn.) and Shelia Hoberg (Bismarck, N.D.) defeated Jacquelin Noah and Vanessa Houle by a score of 8-5. The No. 2 and 3 doubles teams breezed to 8-1 victories over their opponents.
Singles action saw No. 6 singles player Erin Mapes (Monticello, Minn.) battle through a shoulder injury to grind out a victory over her opponent Clare Neenan 6-2, 1-6, (10-5). Sophomore Julie Kaspner (Pierz, Minn.) continued her excellent play coasting to a 6-0, 6-0 win at No. 4 singles over Susan Turner. Hoberg picked up her first collegiate singles victory at the No. 3 spot defeating Jillian Morin of the Golden Eagles by a score of 6-3, 6-0.
The victory was the second of the season for the Beavers and the first in Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference play. They now stand at 2-10 (1-3; NSIC) on the season.
Bemidji State will
hit the road to take on the Upper Iowa Peacocks on Wednesday in
Waterloo, Iowa at 10:30 a.m. From their they will travel to Winona,
Minn. to take on the Winona State University Warriors on Thursday at
Tennis Match Results
Minnesota Crookston vs Bemidji State University
Apr 10, 2007 at Bemidji, Minn.
Bemidji State University 9, Minnesota Crookston 0
1. Welu, Kali (BSU) def. Noah, Jacqueline (UMC) 6-2, 6-1
2. Lexcen, Kristen (BSU) def. Houle, Vanessa (UMC) 6-2, 7-5
3. Hoberg, Shelia (BSU) def. Morin, Jillian (UMC) 6-3, 6-0
4. Kapsner, Julie (BSU) def. Turner, Susan (UMC) 6-0, 6-0
5. Erickson, Amy (BSU) def. Warren, Allison (UMC) 6-0, 6-3
6. Mapes, Erin (BSU) def. Neenan, Clare (UMC) 6-2, 1-6, 10-5
1. Welu, Kali/Hoberg, Shelia (BSU) def. Noah, Jacqueline/Houle, Vanessa (UMC) 8-5
2. Erickson, Amy/Kapsner, Julie (BSU) def. Morin, Jillian/Warren, Allison (UMC) 8-1
3. Jares, Tressa/Maki, Cheyanne (BSU) def. Turner, Susan/Robinson, Holly (UMC) 8-1
Bemidji State University 2-10 (1-3; NSIC)