BEMIDJI, Minn. – The Bemidji State University baseball team (8-9, 2-2 NSIC) continues Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference road play April 6-7 when it travels to University of Mary (7-17, 2-6 NSIC) for a four-game series. Sunday’s twin bill is slated for a 6:30 p.m. start, while Monday’s first pitch is scheduled for 12 p.m.
About Bemidji State
• The Beavers are 5-2 in their last seven games after splitting an NSIC doubleheader at Augustana April 2. BSU lost game one 5-2 in the eighth inning on a walk-off, three-run homer, but rebounded for a 4-3 victory in game two.
• Freshman Bo Schmitz went 3-for-7 with three runs scored and an RBI in the double dip with the Vikings. His third run was the game-winner in game two.
• Sophomore right-hander Jesse Katz earned his first-collegiate victory after throwing six innings and allowing three runs (two earned) on five hits with a career-high eight strikeouts and just one walk.
• Sophomore infielder Tyler Nelson leads a group of three players batting .300 or better, as he owns a .333 average.
• Senior catcher Zach Braun is batting .316 and has a team-best 22 RBIs, which stands tied for fourth in the NSIC.
• On the bump, sophomore Terry Hadden owns a 2-1 record and a team-best 3.92 ERA. His eight runs and 21 hits allowed each rank tied for sixth in the league in least runs and least hits allowed, respectfully.
• Junior Drake Huggans’ three saves is tied for fourth in the NSIC.
• The Beavers were pegged to finish ninth in the 2014 NSIC Preseason Baseball Coaches’ Poll. Sixth through ninth in the poll were separated by 25 points.
• The Marauders are 7-17 overall, 2-6 in NSIC play after spliting a league doubleheader at Wayne State April 2. U-Mary won game one 9-1 before falling 12-4.
• The Marauders enter the series ninth in the NSIC in batting average (.277), but sit fourth in the league in runs scored (131), hits (206) and RBIs (112).
• U-Mary has drawn the most walks in the NSIC this season (104), but has also struck out more than any other team (165).
• The Marauders own a team ERA of 7.19 to rank 14th in the conference.
Last Time Versus U-Mary
• The Beavers and Marauders were schedule to battle in a four-game series in Bemidji last season, but the site was switched to Bismarck, N.D. U-Mary took the first three games (10-7, 9-4, 2-1) before the Beavers won game four 11-8 in a 15-inning marathon that ended on a walk-off home run by Gavin Nichols.
• BSU is 6-2 when leading after the third inning, but have been outscored 43-38 in the first three frames this season (21-9 in the first inning).
• The Beavers have outscored its opponent 18-15 in the seventh through ninth innings and are 4-1 when leading after the sixth innings (0-8 when trailing).
• BSU is 4-1 in one-run games and own a 4-1 record in extra innings.
• Senior Zach Braun was named NSIC Player of the Week March 10 after he guided BSU to a 3-1 start by batting .538 with nine RBIs, five runs scored and three home runs. He posted 1.231 slugging and .667 on-base percentages.
• Braun posted a team season-long hitting streak of seven games March 15-April 2. Two players have recorded hitting streaks of six games.
• Senior Cole Bjorge owns a team-best six multi-hit games, while Braun is the leader in multi-RBI contests with seven (no other Beaver has more than one).
For more information on the Bemidji State baseball program, follow the Beavers on Twitter (@BSUBeavers), like them on Facebook (facebook.com/BSUBeavers) or sign up for the TXTUpdates from BSUBeavers.com text-messaging system through the "Mulitmedia" pull down menu on the main page of BSUBeavers.com.
Nestled in Northern Minnesota’s wooded region and located on the shore of Lake Bemidji, Bemidji State University sponsors 15 varsity athletic programs with NCAA Division I men’s and women’s hockey membership in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, while its 13 NCAA Division II programs hold membership in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC).