BEMIDJI, Minn. -- The Bemidji State University baseball program returns from an off-week to travel to face Concordia University-St. Paul for a doubleheader. The Beavers and Golden Bears will throw the first pitch at 11 a.m. Tuesday, March 27 at Minnetonka High School in Minnetonka, Minn.
- Who: Bemidji State (4-12, 2-2 NSIC) at Concordia-St. Paul (11-5, 4-2 NSIC)
- When: Tuesday, March 27 (11 a.m./1 p.m.)
- Where: Minnetonka, Minn. (Veterans Field)
- Social Media: @BSUBeaversBase (Twitter)
Series History Under Bellew
- Overall Record vs. CSP: CSP leads, 29-13
- Road Record vs. CSP: CSP leads, 10-4
Bemidji State Overview
- Bemidji State took an eight-day break after completing its 2018 spring trip with a four-game series against University of Sioux Falls Sunday, March 18.
- The Beavers went 4-10 on its trip which included stops in Minneapolis (vs. Upper Iowa University), St. Louis (vs. Maryville University and University of Missouri-St. Louis), Springfield, Ill., (vs. University of Illinois-Springfield) and Omaha, Neb. (vs. Sioux Falls).
- BSU closed out the trip with a split against USF, taking both nine-inning games of the series.
- Bemidji State is hitting .230 from the plate, slugging .299 and holds a .333 on-base percentage during the season.
- On the base paths, the Beavers have stolen 17 bases, which ranks fifth in the NSIC, on 20 attempts.
- The Beaver pitching staff holds an ERA of 7.26 with an opposing batting average of .313.
- BSU enters 2018 under 13th year head coach Tim Bellew, who is the second winningest coach in Beaver Baseball history with a 206-386-1 record overall.
- The Golden Bears enter 2018 under 19-year head coach Mark “Lunch” McKenzie.
- CSP was swept by St. Cloud State University in NSIC games, 4-1 in 13 innings and 11-1, after the four-game series was shortened due to weather.
- The Golden Bears gave up an early run in game one against the Huskies before tying the game in the fifth. CSP held SCSU scoreless until the 13th inning, when the Huskies took the lead with a three-run home run.
- Concordia-St. Paul went into the seventh inning of game two facing a 5-0 deficit and gave up six runs in the top half of the final frame.
- The Golden Bears are hitting .297 from the plate with a .387 slugging percentage, .369 on-base percentage and have scored 74 runs on the season.
- The CSP pitching staff holds an ERA of 3.07 and is holding opposing hitters to a .237 batting average. The throwers hold a strikeout-to-walk ratio of 155-to-52.
Now Batting: Scott Litchy
- Senior outfielder/infielder Scott Litchy has been one of the team’s most potent bodies at the plate during his career and leads the team with a .358 batting average, 19 hits, 11 runs scored, five doubles, one triple, .547 slugging percentage and six stolen bases.
- He led the team last season in many of the same categories, including a .350 batting average, 29 runs scored, nine home runs, 38 RBIs and .642 slugging percentage.
- He also led BSU with 16 multiple hit games and nine multiple RBI games in 2017.
- Litchy holds the BSU career record with 11 sacrifice flies and is two home runs and three RBIs away from setting the BSU career records.
- Litchy ranks among the BSU career top 10 in highest batting average, highest slugging percentage, runs scored, hits, doubles, triples, home runs, RBIs, total bases, intentional walks and stolen bases.
- The Beavers return just 12 letter winners from the 2017 roster while bringing on 27 newcomers.
- Three of BSU’s top four batting averages are from underclassmen, including sophomore Drake Wawro (.292), freshman Caleb Carlson (.281) and sophomore Isaiah Grancorvitz (.263).
- A majority of the extra-base hits recorded this season have also come from underclassmen, as the group has hit 17 of the team’s 26 extra-base knocks.
- Four underclassmen currently hold a perfect fielding percentage through the team’s first 16 games.
On the Mound
- Senior pitcher Connor McNallan has been the go-to arm for BSU, leading the pitching staff with 19.1 innings pitched.
- McNallan also leads the team with 15 strikeouts and is holding opposing hitters to a .263 batting average.
- Junior pitcher Jesse Palafox holds an ERA of 1.42 in 6.1 innings pitched with six strikeouts and an opposing batting average of .095, while also recording a team-high two saves.
- The Beavers have three starting pitchers with at least 13.0 innings pitched and an ERA of 4.19 or less.
- Head coach Tim Bellew earned his 200th win in a sweep-clinching win against Southwest Minnesota State Saturday, April 29, 2017.
- Bellew trails Bob Montebello (1959-87) by 84 wins for most in program history.
Nestled in Northern Minnesota’s wooded region and located on the shore of Lake Bemidji, Bemidji State University sponsors 15 varsity athletic programs with NCAA Division I men’s and women’s hockey membership in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, while its 13 NCAA Division II programs hold membership in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC).