BEMIDJI, Minn. -- A late winter has forced the Bemidji State University baseball team to travel for its second home series while facing Winona State University in Winona, Minn. The Beavers and Warriors will begin a four-game series from Loughrey Field Saturday, April 7 at 1 p.m. and finish Sunday, April 8 at 1 p.m.
- Who: Bemidji State (4-18, 2-8 NSIC) vs. Minnesota Crookston (12-19 / 2-14 NSIC)
- When: Thursday, April 12 (1:30 / 3:30 p.m.)
- Where: Crookston, Minn. (BSU Baseball Field)
- Who: Bemidji State (4-18, 2-8 NSIC) vs. Minnesota State (20-7 / 15-3 NSIC)
- When: Saturday, April 14 (1 / 3 p.m.) / Sunday, April 15 (1 / 3 p.m.)
- Where: Mankato, Minn. (MSU Baseball Complex)
Series History Under Bellew
- Overall Record vs. UMC: BSU leads, 21-4
- Record in Crookston vs. UMC: BSU leads, 6-0
- Overall Record vs. MSU: MSU leads, 31-6
- Record in Mankato vs. MSU: MSU leads, 10-0
Bemidji State Overview
- BSU saw six games be cancelled over the past week due to late winter weather conditions in the region.
- Bemidji State was swept during its last two series at Concordia University-St. Paul and against No. 4 Augustana University.
- The Beavers were held to just .160 (26-163) hitting from the plate with four extra-base hits, including the first home run of the season for sophomore catcher Isaiah Grancorvitz.
- BSU’s pitching staff allowed an ERA of 7.83 while opposing batters hit .342 with 16 extra-base hits.
- In the conference, the Beavers rank seventh with six sacrifice flies and ninth with 72 walks.
- Bemidji State is hitting .212 from the plate, slugging .272 and holds a .309 on-base percentage during the season.
- On the base paths, the Beavers have stolen 19 bases, which ranks tied for ninth in the NSIC, on 24 attempts.
- The Beaver pitching staff holds an ERA of 7.43 with an opposing batting average of .321.
- BSU enters 2018 under 13th year head coach Tim Bellew, who is the second winningest coach in Beaver Baseball history with a 206-392-1 record overall.
Minnesota Crookston Overview
- The Golden Eages enter 2018 under fourth year head coach Steve Gust.
- UMC snapped a 12-game losing streak last week with a 5-4 win and a 12-0 win over University of Mary in Watford City, N.D.
- UMC followed up its doubleheader sweep with losses of 3-1 and 7-3 at University of Sioux Falls.
- Zach Rustad allowed just two runs on six hits in six innings in a quality start against Sioux Falls. Anthony Stewart went 3-of-4 with three runs and three RBIs in the 12-0 over U-Mary.
- The Golden Eagles are hitting .272 from the plate with a .393 slugging percentage, .366 on-base percentage and have scored 154 runs on the season.
- The UMC pitching staff holds an ERA of 5.61 and is holding opposing hitters to a .286 batting average. The throwers hold a strikeout-to-walk ratio of 230-to-121.
Minnesota State Overview
- The Mavericks enter 2018 under 10-year head coach Matt Magers.
- With their four wins on the week, Minnesota State extended its season-long winning streak to 10 games.
- Four Mavericks batted over .300 on the week: including sophomore infielder Ty Buck (.563), sophomore infielder Teddy Petersen (.500), senior catcher Noah Bluth (.429) and sophomore infielder Tommy McDonald (.375).
- The Mavericks are hitting .313 from the plate with a .413 slugging percentage, .394 on-base percentage and have scored 167 runs on the season.
- The MSU pitching staff holds an ERA of 3.28 and is holding opposing hitters to a .239 batting average. The throwers hold a strikeout-to-walk ratio of 245-to-52.
- The Beavers return just 12 letter winners from the 2017 roster while bringing on 27 newcomers.
- Three of BSU’s top four batting averages are from underclassmen, including sophomore Drake Wawro (.258), freshman Caleb Carlson (.245) and sophomore Isaiah Grancorvitz (.241).
- A majority of the extra-base hits recorded this season have also come from underclassmen, as the group has hit 20 of the team’s 30 extra-base knocks.
- Four underclassmen currently hold a perfect fielding percentage through the team’s first 18 games.
On the Mound
- Senior pitcher Connor McNallan has been the go-to arm for BSU, leading the pitching staff with 27.0 innings pitched.
- McNallan also leads the team with 19 strikeouts and is holding opposing hitters to a .324 batting average.
- Junior pitcher Jesse Palafox holds an ERA of 2.38 in 11.1 innings pitched with 11 strikeouts and an opposing batting average of .186, while also recording a team-high two saves.
- The Beavers have two starting pitchers (Jake Olson and Jesse Palafox) that have at least 11.1 innings pitched and an ERA of 2.70 or less.
Nestled in Northern Minnesota’s wooded region and located on the shore of Lake Bemidji, Bemidji State University sponsors 15 varsity athletic programs with NCAA Division I men’s and women’s hockey membership in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, while its 13 NCAA Division II programs hold membership in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC).