BEMIDJI, Minn. -- The Bemidji State University baseball program returns to its road schedule with a mid-week doubleheader at Minot State University before a four-game series at home against Wayne State College. BSU and MiSU begin their doubleheader at 9:30 a.m. Thursday in Minot, N.D. while the Beavers are scheduled to play their first home game at 1 p.m. Saturday and Sunday against the Wildcats.
- Who: Bemidji State (4-24, 2-10 NSIC) vs. Minot State (18-11 / 16-3 NSIC)
- When: Thursday, April 19 (9:30 / 11:30 a.m.)
- Where: Minot, N.D.
- Who: Wayne State (12-18 / 10-10 NSIC) vs. Bemidji State (4-24, 2-10 NSIC)
- When: Saturday, April 21 (1 / 3 p.m.) / Sunday, April 22 (1 / 3 p.m.)
- Where: Bemidji, Minn. (BSU Baseball Field)
Series History Under Bellew
- Overall Record vs. MiSU: BSU leads, 13-5
- Record in Minot vs. MiSU: BSU leads, 2-0
- Overall Record vs. WSC: WSC leads, 32-6
- Record in Bemidji vs. WSC: WSC leads, 11-3
Bemidji State Overview
- Bemidji State was held without a win during its last week of action in four non-conference games against University of Minnesota Crookston and a doubleheader against Minnesota State University Mankato.
- The Beavers went .201 (32-159) from the plate with seven extra-base hits, including a pair of home runs from senior Scott Litchy and one home run from freshman Parker Borg.
- BSU’s pitching staff allowed an ERA of 7.28 while opposing batters hit .358 with 20 extra-base hits.
- In the conference, the Beavers rank eighth with eight sacrifice flies and ninth with 91 walks.
- Bemidji State is hitting .210 from the plate, slugging .277 and holds a .307 on-base percentage during the season.
- On the base paths, the Beavers have stolen 20 bases on 31 attempts.
- The Beaver pitching staff holds an ERA of 7.40 with an opposing batting average of .329.
- BSU enters 2018 under 13th year head coach Tim Bellew, who is the second winningest coach in Beaver Baseball history with a 206-398-1 record overall.
Minot State Overview
- The Beavers enter 2018 under second year head coach Scott Eul.
- Minot State extended its winning streak to 11 games after sweeping Northern State University.
- MiSU’s longest known winning streak dating back to 1967 was ended with a loss against University of Minnesota Duluth.
- Minot State scored 27 runs in the series finale against Minnesota Duluth, putting the Beavers at 4-1 on the week.
- The Beavers’ 27 runs against the Bulldogs is the most runs scored in a single-game for MiSU since 1984.
- Minot State leads the NSIC in home runs (34) and slugging percentage, and rank third in doubles (55) and runs scored (191).
- The Beavers are hitting .272 from the plate with a .462 slugging percentage and a .369 on-base percentage.
- The MiSU pitching staff holds an ERA of 5.47 and is holding opposing hitters to a .301 batting average. The throwers hold a strikeout-to-walk ratio of 192-to-83.
Wayne State Overview
- The Wildcats enter 2018 under fourth-year head coach Alex Koch.
- Wayne State won a pair of one-run games versus Southwest Minnesota State University, 5-4 and 4-3.
- Junior outfielder Travis Miller went 5-for-7 (.714) with a double, home run and four RBIs.
- Sophomore right handed pitcher Hunter Wienhoff threw a complete game with 10 K’s in the 4-3 win over SMSU.
- The Wildcats are hitting .264 from the plate with a .385 slugging percentage, .343 on-base percentage and have scored 147 runs on the season.
- The WSC pitching staff holds an ERA of 6.99 and is holding opposing hitters to a .311 batting average. The throwers hold a strikeout-to-walk ratio of 176-to-96.
- The Beavers return just 12 letter winners from the 2017 roster while bringing on 27 newcomers.
- Four of BSU’s top five batting averages are from underclassmen, including sophomore Drake Wawro (.280), sophomore Isaiah Grancorvitz (.227), sophomore Noah Boser (.219) and freshman Caleb Carlson (.212).
- A majority of the extra-base hits recorded this season have also come from underclassmen, as the group has hit 25 of the team’s 37 extra-base knocks.
On the Mound
- Senior pitcher Connor McNallan has been the go-to arm for BSU, leading the pitching staff with 31.2 innings pitched.
- McNallan also leads the team with 24 strikeouts and is holding opposing hitters to a .317 batting average.
- Junior pitcher Tommy Geisenhof leads the pitching staff with a 2.87 ERA in 15.2 innings He has a K-to-BB ratio of 10-to-3.
Nestled in Northern Minnesota’s wooded region and located on the shore of Lake Bemidji, Bemidji State University sponsors 15 varsity athletic programs with NCAA Division I men’s and women’s hockey membership in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, while its 13 NCAA Division II programs hold membership in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC).