BEMIDJI, Minn. -- The Bemidji State University baseball program hosts a midweek doubleheader against University of Mary before a home-and-home series against St. Cloud State University Friday and Sunday. The Beavers and Marauders throw first pitch at 1 p.m. from BSU Baseball Field before BSU and SCSU plays at 2 p.m. Saturday in Bemidji, Minn., and 2 p.m. Sunday in St. Cloud, Minn.
- Who: U-Mary (3-33 / 1-25 NSIC) vs. Bemidji State (5-29 / 3-15 NSIC)
- When: Wednesday, April 25 (1 / 3 p.m.)
- Where: Bemidji, Minn. (BSU Baseball Field)
- Who: St. Cloud State (23-12 / 16-7 NSIC) vs. Bemidji State (5-29 / 3-15 NSIC)
- When: Saturday, April 28 (2 / 4 p.m.) / Sunday, April 29 (2 / 4 p.m.)
- Where: Bemidji, Minn. (BSU Baseball Field) / St. Cloud, Minn. (Faber Field)
Series History Under Bellew
- Overall Record vs. U-Mary: BSU leads, 19-16
- Record in Bemidji vs. U-Mary: BSU leads, 9-4
- Overall Record vs. SCSU: SCSU leads, 27-10-1
- Record in Bemidji vs. SCSU: SCSU leads, 9-3
- Record in St. Cloud vs. SCSU: SCSU leads, 7-5
Bemidji State Overview
- Bemidji State snapped a losing streak with a 15-5 win during its home opening series against Wayne State College.
- The Beavers went .313 (62-198) from the plate with 17 extra-base hits, including three home runs from senior Scott Litchy and freshman Parker Borg, over its six-game week.
- Litchy and Borg each hit two home runs in the Beavers’ 15-5 win over the Wildcats, Borg’s second serving as a 10-run, walk-off home run in the seventh inning.
- Litchy became BSU's all-time leader in hits with his first base knock on Monday against WSC. He broke former Beaver Joey Hanowski's record with 208, which was previously set in 2016.
- BSU doubled its home run total entering last week’s two series with six combined against Wayne State and Minot State.
- The Beavers scored at least five runs in each of the last six games, which is one shy of the team’s total through the first 28 games of the season.
- Bemidji State is hitting .230 from the plate with a .315 slugging percentage and a .328 on-base percentage this season. BSU has totaled 54 extra-base hits and holds a fielding percentage of .954.
- BSU enters 2018 under 13th year head coach Tim Bellew, who is the second winningest coach in Beaver Baseball history with a 206-398-1 record overall.
- The Marauders are in their 19th game under interim head coach Kevin Walsh.
- U-Mary nabbed its first conference win of the season on the back-end of its four-game series against Northern State University.
- In a site reversal, U-Mary played University of Sioux Falls in a midweek doubleheader in Watford City, N.D.
- The Marauders have played all 36 games away from Bismarck, N.D.
- U-Mary ranks fourth in the NSIC with 44 steals.
- The Marauders are hitting .255 from the plate with a .295 slugging percentage and a .336 on-base percentage.
- The U-Mary pitching staff holds an ERA of 7.15 and is holding opposing hitters to a .305 batting average. The pitchers hold a strikeout-to-walk ratio of 151-to-163.
St. Cloud State Overview
- The Huskies enter 2018 under 11-year head coach Pat Dolan.
- St. Cloud State was 4-2 on the week after recording a midweek sweep over Minnesota Crookston last Wednesday, and a weekend split with Minnesota State University Mankato on Sunday and Monday in Bemidji, Minn.
- SCSU sits fourth overall in the NSIC standings with two weeks remaining in the conference schedule.
- The Huskies enter the week with the second highest team batting average.
- The Huskies are hitting .305 from the plate with a .437 slugging percentage, .395 on-base percentage and have scored 226 runs on the season.
- The SCSU pitching staff holds an ERA of 3.85 and is holding opposing hitters to a .265 batting average. The pitchers hold a strikeout-to-walk ratio of 258-to-88.
- The Beavers return just 12 letter winners from the 2017 roster while bringing on 27 newcomers.
- Five of BSU’s top seven batting averages are from underclassmen, including sophomore Isaiah Grancorvitz (.278), freshman Caleb Carlson (.264), sophomore Drake Wawro (.253), freshman Parker Borg (.231) and sophomore Noah Boser (.209).
- Carlson is currently on a reached-base streak of nine games and went through a stretch of eight straight plate appearances with a base reached in the series against WSC.
- A majority of the extra-base hits recorded this season have also come from underclassmen, as the group has hit 33 of the team’s 54 extra-base knocks.
Nestled in Northern Minnesota’s wooded region and located on the shore of Lake Bemidji, Bemidji State University sponsors 15 varsity athletic programs with NCAA Division I men’s and women’s hockey membership in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, while its 13 NCAA Division II programs hold membership in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC).