BEMIDJI, Minn. -- The Bemidji State University baseball program closes out the 2018 season with a four-game road series at Southwest Minnesota State University. The Beavers and Mustangs begin the series at 2 p.m. Friday and 12 p.m. Saturday in Marshall, Minn.
- Who: Bemidji State (7-33 / 5-19 NSIC) vs. Southwest Minn. State (14-22 / 9-17 NSIC)
- When: Friday, May 4 (2 / 4 p.m.) / Saturday, May 5 (12 / 2 p.m.)
- Where: Marshall, Minn. (Alumni Field)
Series History Under Bellew
- Overall Record vs. SMSU: SMSU leads, 24-14
- Record in Marshall vs. SMSU: SCSU leads, 6-4
Bemidji State Overview
- Bemidji State earned two wins over its last week of action with victories against University of Mary and St. Cloud State University.
- The Beavers went .290 (49-169) from the plate with 15 extra-base hits, including three combined home runs from senior Scott Litchy and freshman Parker Borg, over the past week.
- Bemidji State scored seven runs in the sixth inning of its win against U-Mary and also made a comeback in its win against St. Cloud State.
- For the season, the Beavers are hitting .239 from the plate with a .331 slugging percentage and a .331 on-base percentage.
- Senior Connor McNallan led BSU with a .571 batting average, including 10 total bases, two doubles and a.714 slugging percentage.
- Freshman Caleb Carlson recorded a team-high seven RBIs with a .381 batting average, reaching base with five singles, two doubles and a triple.
- Freshman Matt Kummet extended his hitting streak to eight games and recorded five hits in three games played over the week.
- Junior Tommy Geisenhof threw 5.0 innings in three appearances with a 1.80 ERA and earned a win against U-Mary.
- Sophomore Jake Olson earned his third win of the season after throwing 6.0 innings with just two runs allowed against St. Cloud State.
- BSU enters 2018 under 13th year head coach Tim Bellew, who is the second winningest coach in Beaver Baseball history with a 209-407-1 record overall.
Southwest Minn. State Overview
- The Mustangs enter 2018 under 22-year head coach Paul Blanchard.
- SMSU lost two games at Upper Iowa University last Wednesday but rebounded to win three of four at University of Minnesota Crookston.
- The Mustangs are 3-9 in one-run games this season following its one-run loss at UIU.
- Southwest Minnesota State pitching allowed eight earned runs in the four games and hit only .204 on the weekend.
- The Mustangs are hitting .279 from the plate with a .384 slugging percentage, .366 on-base percentage and have scored 197 runs on the season.
- The SMSU pitching staff holds an ERA of 5.26 and is holding opposing hitters to a .295 batting average. The pitchers hold a strikeout-to-walk ratio of 269-156.
- The Beavers return just 12 letter winners from the 2017 roster while bringing on 27 newcomers.
- Eight of BSU’s top 12 batting averages are from underclassmen, including freshman Caleb Carlson (.286), sophomore Isaiah Grancorvitz (.267), freshman Matt Kummet (.262) and sophomore Drake Wawro (.248).
- Kummet extended his hitting streak to eight games and recorded five hits in three games played over the past week.
- A majority of the extra-base hits recorded this season have also come from underclassmen, as the group has hit 42 of the team’s 69 extra-base knocks.
Nestled in Northern Minnesota’s wooded region and located on the shore of Lake Bemidji, Bemidji State University sponsors 15 varsity athletic programs with NCAA Division I men’s and women’s hockey membership in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, while its 13 NCAA Division II programs hold membership in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC).