BEMIDJI, Minn. -- The Bemidji State University baseball team heads to the cities Wednesday, March 27 for a Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference doubleheader at Concordia University-St. Paul, playing on the diamond at Minnetonka High School. The Beavers and Golden Bears throw the first pitch of a seven-inning game one at 5 p.m. with a nine-inning game two following.
- Who: Bemidji State (1-15, 0-5 NSIC) vs. Concordia-St. Paul (11-8, 3-5 NSIC)
- When: Wednesday, March 27 (5 / 7 p.m.)
- Where: Minnetonka, Minn. (Minnetonka High School)
Series History Under Bellew
- Overall Record: CSP leads, 31-13
- Neutral Site Record: CSP leads, 7-3
- BSU Away Record: CSP leads, 12-4
Bemidji State Overview
- Bemidji State fell twice in its lone series over the past week at Wayne State College, 5-2 and 6-0, falling to 1-15 overall and 0-5 in the NSIC.
- BSU hit .196 from the plate with a .286 on-base percentage and a .948 fielding percentage during the doubleheader.
- The Beavers scored both of its runs in the seventh inning of game one and had a chance to tie and go ahead with the bases loaded and two outs.
- Nine different batters recorded at least one hit between both games.
- Senior infielder Drake Wawro is on a nine-game reached base streak, which is the longest on the season by a Beaver, while freshman outfielder Jacob Carlson has reached base safely in seven straight games.
- Junior catcher Isaiah Grancorvitz and junior outfielder Noah Boser led BSU in the series against WSC with two hits on the day, including a double by each.
- Sophomore outfielder Jackson Back and Carlson each recorded an RBI.
- Freshman pitcher Zack Henderson threw 3.1 innings in relief with two hits allowed and two strikeouts.
- BSU enters the season after being selected to finish 14th overall in the 2019 NSIC Preseason Baseball Coaches’ Poll.
- BSU returns 13 position players, six relief pitchers, and four starting pitchers from last season.
- BSU is led by 14th-year head coach Tim Bellew, who is the second-winningest coach in Beaver Baseball history with a 211-425-1 record overall. Bellew trails Bob Montebello (1959-87) by 87 wins for the program’s most victories by a head coach.
- Former Beaver Baseball student-athlete and assistant coach Matt Ellinghuysen rejoins the coaching staff in 2019 in the same position. He spent the last two seasons at Southwest Minnesota State University after spending the 2014-16 seasons as Bellew’s top assistant.
About Concordia-St. Paul
- Concordia-St. Paul picked up a mid-week split with Minot State University in Bellevue, Neb., including a 6-0 loss and a 4-2 win, before dropping all three games to University of Minnesota Crookston, 5-4, 14-2 and 4-3, in Minnetonka over the past weekend.
- CSP was held to .231 at the plate while their opponents tallied a .295 batting average on the week.
- The Golden Bears pitching staff collected 40 strikeouts in 39.0 innings as four of the team’s five starting pitchers averaged at least one strikeout per inning.
- Cole Kirchoff provided a bright spot at the plate as he slashed .429 from the plate with three of his six hits going for extra bases to go along with a team-leading three steals.
- Ryan Christopher hit .313 on the week while also adding 6.0 innings with no earned runs allowed to go along with six strikeouts in the win over Minot State.
- The Golden Bears are led by 20th-year head coach Mark “Lunch” McKenzie, who has totaled a career record of 446-342-1 and 272-216 in NSIC play since taking over as head coach in 2000. He became the program’s all-time wins leader in 2008.
Nestled in Northern Minnesota’s wooded region and located on the shore of Lake Bemidji, Bemidji State University sponsors 15 varsity athletic programs with NCAA Division I men’s and women’s hockey membership in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, while its 13 NCAA Division II programs hold membership in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC).