BEMIDJI, Minn. -- The three-game weekend series between Bemidji State University and University of Sioux Falls will be played April 7-8 at Sioux Falls Stadium in Sioux Falls, S.D. The Beavers and Cougars open the series Sunday with a doubleheader beginning 1:30 p.m. before finishing with a single nine-inning game Monday at 12 p.m.
- Who: Bemidji State (2-22, 1-11 NSIC) vs. Sioux Falls (6-22, 4-11 NSIC)
- When: Sunday, April 7 (1:30 / 3:30 p.m.), Monday, April 7 (12 p.m.)
- Where: Sioux Falls, S.D. (Sioux Falls Stadium)
Series History Under Bellew
- Overall Record: BSU leads, 9-7
- BSU Home Record: BSU leads, 5-3
- BSU Away Record: Series tied, 2-2
Bemidji State Overview
- BSU was swept during its midweek doubleheader against Winona State University, 3-2 and 9-3, in Winona, Minn. The Beavers scored two runs in the bottom of the fifth inning and put the go-ahead run on base in the sixth inning before ultimately falling in game one. The Warriors scored all nine of its game two runs before the Beavers got on the board with three runs in the bottom of the sixth inning.
- The Beavers hit .214 from the plate with a .279 on-base percentage and a .268 slugging percentage.
- The BSU relief pitchers threw 7.2 innings and allowed just two earned runs with six strikeouts.
- Sophomore infielder Blake Huntley led BSU with three hits and two RBI in the doubleheader while sophomore Wyatt White and junior Isaiah Grancorvitz each recorded two hits.
- Sophomore Caleb Carlson recorded his second career home run in game one against the Warriors, accounting for both BSU runs.
- Senior pitcher Ben Bauer threw 3.0 innings in relief while totaling two strikeouts and allowing just one earned run.
- BSU is led by 14th-year head coach Tim Bellew, who is the second-winningest coach in Beaver Baseball history with a 212-432-1 record overall. Bellew trails Bob Montebello (1959-87) by 87 wins for the program’s most victories by a head coach.
- Former Beaver Baseball student-athlete and assistant coach Matt Ellinghuysen rejoins the coaching staff in 2019 in the same position. He spent the last two seasons at Southwest Minnesota State University after spending the 2014-16 seasons as Bellew’s top assistant.
About Sioux Falls
- Sioux Falls swept University of Minnesota Crookston April 3 with wins of 10-1 and 3-2 in Crookston, Minn.
- The Cougars scored three first-inning runs on their way to an 8-0 lead in game one before scoring two runs in the first inning of game two and scoring the game-winning run in the top of the seventh inning.
- The Cougars hit .254 from the plate with four extra-base hits during the doubleheader.
- WSU ranks second in the NSIC in fielding percentage (.976) and egihth in the country.
- Three Cougars recorded at least three hits as Josh Rehwaldt went 3-for-4 with one RBI and two runs and Sam Michels went 3-for-4 with three RBI in game one, and Alex Robinson went 3-for-4 with one run scored in game two.
- Matt Graham threw 6.0 innings with five strikeouts and one earned run allowed to take the win in game one while Payton Livingston went 4.2 innings with six strikeouts in a no decision during game two. The USF pitching staff combined for 19 strikeouts between both games.
- The Cougars are led by third-year head coach Grant Hieb, who has totaled a career record of 40-84 since taking over as head coach in 2017.
Nestled in Northern Minnesota’s wooded region and located on the shore of Lake Bemidji, Bemidji State University sponsors 15 varsity athletic programs with NCAA Division I men’s and women’s hockey membership in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, while its 13 NCAA Division II programs hold membership in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC).