BEMIDJI, Minn. -- This past week’s snow arrival has forced the Bemidji State University baseball program to travel to St. Cloud State University for its Tuesday doubleheader. The midweek series will begin at 4 p.m. with a seven-inning game followed by a nine-inning game at Becker Park in Collegeville, Minn.
- Who: Bemidji State (5-24, 4-13 NSIC) vs. St. Cloud State (27-6, 15-4 NSIC)
- When: Tuesday, April 16 (4 / 6 p.m.)
- Where: Collegeville, Minn. (Becker Park)
Series History Under Bellew
- Overall Record: SCSU leads, 31-11-1
- BSU Home Record: SCSU leads, 10-4
- BSU Away Record: SCSU leads, 9-5
- BSU Neutral Record: SCSU leads, 12-2-1
Bemidji State Overview
- Bemidji State swept Upper Iowa, 2-1 and 8-5, in a midweek doubleheader during its only day of action over the past week.
- After holding a one-run lead, BSU faced a 1-1 tie heading into the seventh inning before three straight singles led to its second walk-off win in its last four games.
- In game two, the Beavers broke a 4-4 tie after the top of the fifth inning with three runs in the bottom of the fifth and an insurance run in the eighth.
• On the day, BSU hit .208 from the plate, fielded .984, totaled 21 walks, and was a perfect 5-for-5 on stolen base chances.
- Four of BSU’s five pitchers to make an appearance combined for 11.0 innings with just one earned run allowed.
- BSU’s three-game series schedule for April 13-14 against Southwest Minnesota State University was cancelled due to snow.
- Junior Noah Boser went 3-for-5 from the plate with four walks, two runs, and one double while fielding a perfect 1.000 percentage.
- Sophomore Wyatt White recorded his second walk-off hit during a four-game stretch in game one versus Upper Iowa and finished with four RBI in the series.
- White and freshman Jacob Carlson recorded two hits each, combining for six RBI and 10 putouts.
- Freshman starting pitcher Kevin Smith threw 5.2 innings with one earned run allowed and an opposing batting average of .190.
- Senior pitcher Jesse Palafox earned his first win of the season after throwing 1.1 innings with two strikeouts in game one.
- Sophomore pitcher Trevyn Wells recorded his second win of the season in game two while totaling six strikeouts and two walks.
- BSU is led by 14th-year head coach Tim Bellew, who is the second-winningest coach in Beaver Baseball history with a 215-434-1 record overall. Bellew trails Bob Montebello (1959-87) by 84 wins for the program’s most victories by a head coach.
- Former Beaver Baseball student-athlete and assistant coach Matt Ellinghuysen rejoins the coaching staff in 2019 in the same position. He spent the last two seasons at Southwest Minnesota State University after spending the 2014-16 seasons as Bellew’s top assistant.
About St. Cloud State
- No. 9 St. Cloud State extended its winning streak to five games after sweeping Concordia University-St. Paul and University of Minnesota Duluth last week.
- Mathew Meyer recorded his 200th career hit against the Bulldogs on Sunday, April 15.
- SCSU leads the NSIC in ERA (2.96) and strikeouts (327).
- Mitch Mallek was 6-of-15 with two home runs, six RBI, and one double. Of note, Mallek is six hits shy of becoming the 11th player in program history to reach 200 career hits. He recorded two RBI in each of the Huskies’ three games against UMD.
- Najee Gaskins was 7-of-17 with a three-hit performance against UMD in game three. Gaskins recorded RBI on the week.
- Cal Giese recorded his 20th career win for SCSU after allowing two earned runs on five hits in his five innings of work against UMD in game one.
- The Huskies are led by 12th-year head coach Pat Dolan, who has totaled a record of 464-162-1 overall and 263-90 in the NSIC since taking over as head coach in 2008.
Nestled in Northern Minnesota’s wooded region and located on the shore of Lake Bemidji, Bemidji State University sponsors 15 varsity athletic programs with NCAA Division I men’s and women’s hockey membership in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, while its 13 NCAA Division II programs hold membership in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC).