BEMIDJI, Minn. -- Poor field conditions have forced Bemidji State University baseball to host Northern State University for its three-game series April 19-20. The series was originally scheduled to take place in Aberdeen, S.D., before the new site and game times of 1:30 and 3:30 p.m. Friday and 12 p.m. Saturday at BSU Baseball Field in Bemidji, Minn.
- Who: Bemidji State (5-26, 4-15 NSIC) vs. Northern State (15-19, 10-13 NSIC)
- When: Friday, April 19 (1:30 / 3:30 p.m.) / Saturday, April 20 (12 p.m.)
- Where: Bemidji, Minn. (BSU Baseball Field)
Series History Under Bellew
- Overall Record: BSU leads, 19-15
- BSU Home Record: NSU leads, 7-5
- BSU Away Record: BSU leads, 9-5
- BSU Neutral Record: BSU leads, 5-3
Bemidji State Overview
- Bemidji State was taken down in both games of a neutral site doubleheader Tuesday, April 16 against No. 9 St. Cloud State University, 6-0 and 4-2.
- SCSU jumped ahead early with all six of its game one runs within the first four innings while keeping BSU off the base paths through the first two innings. The Beavers recorded hits in the final four innings and left the bases loaded to end the game.
- Bemidji State found itself in another early hole in game two as St. Cloud State went ahead, 2-0, after the first three batters of the third inning. BSU cut a 4-0 deficit in half in the ninth inning after a lead-off walk and double set up a sacrifice fly and a ground out RBI.
• On the day, BSU recorded 10 hits and left 11 total base runners stranded.
- BSU’s four relief pitchers to make an appearance combined for seven innings, no runs allowed, and four strikeouts.
- Junior Kade Nelson led BSU with four hits between both games, including the team’s lone extra-base knock of the doubleheader.
- Sophomore Parker Borg went 2-3 from the plate in game two.
- Junior Isaiah Grancorvitz and sophomore Blake Huntley combined for both of BSU’s RBI in game two.
- Sophmore pitcher Kenny Morris threw 3.2 innings with five hits and no runs allowed with one strikeout.
- Senior pitchers Tommy Geisenhof and Alec Meyer, and freshman pitcher Zack Henderson combined to throw 3.1 innings with three hits and no runs allowed in game two. Meyer finished his lone inning striking two of four batters faced.
- BSU is led by 14th-year head coach Tim Bellew, who is the second-winningest coach in Beaver Baseball history with a 215-436-1 record overall. Bellew trails Bob Montebello (1959-87) by 84 wins for the program’s most victories by a head coach.
- Former Beaver Baseball student-athlete and assistant coach Matt Ellinghuysen rejoins the coaching staff in 2019 in the same position. He spent the last two seasons at Southwest Minnesota State University after spending the 2014-16 seasons as Bellew’s top assistant.
About Northern State
- Northern State won both games of a Tuesday doubleheader against University of Minnesota Duluth, 6-0 and 13-8.
- The Wolves put up one run in the first inning on an RBI single and three in the third inning on an RBI single and RBI double before scoring one run in each of the sixth and seventh frames of game one.
- NSU again struck first in game two with two runs in the first inning before coming back from a 4-2 deficit with seven runs in the sixth inning.
- Hayden Houts led BSU with four hits between both games, adding four RBI and four runs scored.
- Dakota Stilson and Niko Pezonella each recorded three RBI in NSU’s game two win.
- Luke Chevalier recorded a complete game shutout in game one while allowing just three hits with six strikeouts.
- The Wolves are led by ninth-year head coach Dean Berry, who has totaled a record of 181-214 overall and 120-153 in the NSIC since taking over as head coach in 2008.
Nestled in Northern Minnesota’s wooded region and located on the shore of Lake Bemidji, Bemidji State University sponsors 15 varsity athletic programs with NCAA Division I men’s and women’s hockey membership in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, while its 13 NCAA Division II programs hold membership in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC).