BEMIDJI, Minn. -- The Bemidji State University baseball team travels to face University of Mary in a doubleheader April 24 before returning home for its home-season finale series against University of Minnesota Crookston April 27-28. The Beavers and Marauders throw the first pitch of a doubleheader at 1 p.m. Wednesday at Bismarck Municipal Ballpark before the series against the Golden Eagles begins at 1 p.m. Saturday and 12 p.m. Sunday at BSU Baseball Field.
- Who: Bemidji State (6-28, 5-17 NSIC) vs. U-Mary (12-25-1, 8-16-1 NSIC)
- When: Wednesday, April 24 (1 / 3 p.m.)
- Where: Bismarck, N.D. (Bismarck Municipal Ballpark)
Series History Under Bellew
- Overall Record: BSU leads, 20-17
- BSU Home Record: BSU leads, 10-5
- BSU Away Record: U-Mary leads, 12-10
- Who: Bemidji State (6-28, 5-17 NSIC) vs. Minnesota Crookston (21-16, 14-9 NSIC)
- When: Saturday, April 27 (1 / 3 p.m.) / Sunday, April 28 (12 / 3 p.m.)
- Where: Bemidji, Minn. (BSU Baseball Field)
Series History Under Bellew
- Overall Record: BSU leads, 21-8
- BSU Home Record: BSU leads, 8-3
- BSU Away Record: BSU leads, 6-4
- BSU Neutral Record: BSU leads, 7-1
Bemidji State Overview
- Bemidji State went 1-4 over its past week of action after being swept by St. Cloud State University and taking one of three games against Northern State University.
- The Beavers came back from a 5-3 deficit and scored two runs in the top of the seventh inning for the game-winning runs in game one versus the Wolves.
- On the week, BSU hit .267 from the plate, fielded .975, and hit four home runs compared to just three given up.
- BSU’s relief pitchers combined for 21.2 innings pitched with just six earned runs allowed on 22 hits with 15 strikeouts.
- Junior Kade Nelson totaled eight hits to lead BSU with a .421 batting average and a .450 on-base percentage.
- Sophomore Parker Borg totaled six hits with two doubles and one RBI in the designated hitter spot.
- Junior Isaiah Grancorvitz recorded six hits, three for extra bases including two home runs, with five RBI.
- Junior Noah Boser went 2-for-3 with two home runs in BSU’s win over NSU.
- Freshman pitcher Zack Henderson threw 4.1 innings in relief with three strikeouts.
- Sophomore pitcher Kenny Morris went 5.2 innings in relief with no runs allowed and two strikeouts.
- Six Beavers will be honored on Senior Day Sunday, April 28 including pitcher Ben Bauer, pitcher Tommy Geisenhof, infielder Koty Kissack, pitcher Alec Meyer, pitcher Jesse Palafox, and infielder Drake Wawro.
- BSU is led by 14th-year head coach Tim Bellew, who is the second-winningest coach in Beaver Baseball history with a 216-438-1 record overall. Bellew trails Bob Montebello (1959-87) by 83 wins for the program’s most victories by a head coach.
- Former Beaver Baseball student-athlete and assistant coach Matt Ellinghuysen rejoins the coaching staff in 2019 in the same position. He spent the last two seasons at Southwest Minnesota State University after spending the 2014-16 seasons as Bellew’s top assistant.
- U-Mary was swept in its two series against Minot State University and University of Minnesota Duluth and is currently on an eight-game losing streak.
- The Marauders’ 12 overall win and eight conference wins are tied for the program high since winning 15 games overall in 2014 and posting 12 conference wins in 2010.
- Freshman pitcher Daniel Turner held Minot State to two runs, three hits, and a walk while striking out four in six innings of work.
- Jaxon Ford has hit in eight straight games, including five multi-hit games while going 10-for-26 with two runs scored and two RBI last week.
- Daris Barlas hit in five of six games last week, finishing 7-of-20 with four runs scored, three RBI, three doubles, and a home run.
- Alec DeMaria posted 3.2 scoreless inning of relief covering two appearances during the week, striking out five batters, and allowing just one hit and three walks.
- The Marauders are led by first-year head coach Mark Moriarty, who has totaled a record of 12-25-1 overall and 8-16-1 in the NSIC since taking over as head coach in June 2018.
About Minnesota Crookston
- Minnesota Crookston is currently sixth in the NSIC with a record of 14-9 after going 2-3 in its last week of games against Southwest Minnesota State and St. Cloud State University.
- The Golden Eagles picked up one of its biggest wins in program history with a 5-3 victory over the No. 5 Huskies April 19.
- The Golden Eagles won their first game over the Huskies in 10 years, with the most recent win coming in 2009.
- Reed Hjelle reached base all four times in UMC’s win over SCSU, including the go-ahead home run that put the Golden Eagles ahead, 5-3.
- Dalton Grose earned his league-leading ninth save in UMC’s win over SCSU after recording the final six outs.
- Zach Rustad went 7.0 innings while giving up just three runs on five hits with five strikeouts to earn his fifth win of the season.
- Jonathan Lund hit his first career home run for UMC’s game-winning score over SMSU.
- The Golden Eagles are led by fourth-year head coach Steve Gust, who has totaled a record of 94-92 overall and 60-62 in the NSIC since taking over as head coach 2016.
Nestled in Northern Minnesota’s wooded region and located on the shore of Lake Bemidji, Bemidji State University sponsors 15 varsity athletic programs with NCAA Division I men’s and women’s hockey membership in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, while its 13 NCAA Division II programs hold membership in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC).