BEMIDJI, Minn. -- The 2019 Bemidji State University baseball season concludes with a six-game road trip, beginning May 1 at Minot State University and May 3-4 at University of Minnesota Duluth. BSU opens the week with a doubleheader at 1 p.m. Wednesday against MiSU while closing out its schedule with a four-game series at 1 p.m. Friday and 12 p.m. Saturday against UMD.
- Who: Bemidji State (7-33, 5-22 NSIC) at Minot State (30-14, 22-8 NSIC)
- When: Wednesday, May 1 (1 / 3 p.m.)
- Where: Minot, N.D. (Corbett Field)
Series History Under Bellew
- Overall Record: BSU leads, 13-7
- BSU Home Record: MiSU leads, 5-3
- BSU Away Record: Tied, 2-2
- Who: Bemidji State (7-33, 5-22 NSIC) at Minnesota Duluth (12-31, 9-22 NSIC)
- When: Friday, May 3 (1 / 3 p.m.) / Saturday, May 4 (12 / 3 p.m.)
- Where: Duluth, Minn. (Bulldog Park)
Series History Under Bellew
- Overall Record: UMD leads, 30-9
- BSU Home Record: UMD leads, 11-5
- BSU Away Record: UMD leads, 13-2
- BSU Neutral Record: UMD leads, 6-2
Bemidji State Overview
- Bemidji State was taken down in all six of its games from the previous week of action against University of Mary and University of Minnesota Crookston.
- On the week, BSU hit .254 from the plate, fielded .952, and stole eight bases on 11 attempts.
- BSU celebrated the careers of six seniors (Ben Bauer, Tommy Geisenhof, Koty Kissack, Alec Meyer, Jesse Palafox, Drake Wawro) on senior day in its home finale against UMC.
- Sophomore Matt Kummet led BSU hitting .429 from the plate with a .667 slugging percentage, .500 on-base percentage, three RBI, two doubles, and one run scored, including his second career home run.
- Sophomore Blake Huntley hit .381 from the plate and scored four runs.
- Junior Kade Nelson recorded four RBI on six hits with two runs scored.
- Sophomore pitcher Kenny Morris threw 4.1 innings in relief with only one hit and no runs allowed.
- Senior pitcher Jesse Palafox recorded a career-high seven strikeouts in his lone start of the week.
- BSU is led by 14th-year head coach Tim Bellew, who is the second-winningest coach in Beaver Baseball history with a 217-444-1 record overall. Bellew trails Bob Montebello (1959-87) by 82 wins for the program’s most victories by a head coach.
- Former Beaver Baseball student-athlete and assistant coach Matt Ellinghuysen rejoins the coaching staff in 2019 in the same position. He spent the last two seasons at Southwest Minnesota State University after spending the 2014-16 seasons as Bellew’s top assistant.
About Minot State
- Minot State went 4-2 over its six-game week after being swept in a doubleheader against St. Cloud State University and taking a four-game sweep over Minnesota Duluth.
- Through the UMD series, MiSU scored 39 runs, 32 hits, five doubles, two triples, four home runs, and 35 RBI.
- The Beaver pitching staff totaled a 5.09 ERA with 34 strikeouts in 46 innings of work.
- Wyatt Schlosser launched a pair of three-run home runs on the second day of the UMD series.
- Trevaun Smith had a walk-off, three-run home run to beat UMD, 6-5, in game two of day one.
- Jaymon Cervantes earned the victory in game three against UMD after throwing four one-hit innings to become Minot State’s all-time leader in career wins with 12.
- The Beavers are led by third-year head coach Scott Eul, who has totaled a record of 93-52 overall and 74-31 in the NSIC since taking over as head coach in 2017.
About Minnesota Duluth
- Minnesota Duluth came off a season-best four game winning streak before being swept in all six games of action last week against Southwest Minnesota State University and Minot State.
- During its six-game skid, the Bulldogs have been outscored, 56-28.
- The Bulldogs are 0-24 when trailing after four innings this season and 0-26 when trailing after six.
- Sophomore outfielder Henry George had his career-high 11-game hitting streak snapped in a 9-3 loss at SMSU. Prior to the streak being snapped, George had reached base in 17 straight games and 25 of the last 26 outings.
- George continues to top the Bulldogs in hitting with a .393 average while freshman designated hitter Tosten Mann is a distant second at .333.
- Over the past week (six games), senior first baseman Tyler Wojciechowski batted .368 with a pair of homers while driving in a third (8 of 24) of UMD’s runs.
- Junior pitcher Rece Dietrich ranks first among the Bulldogs in ERA (3.53), wins (3), starts (8), strikeouts (24), innings (42.2), and opponent batting average (.280).
- The Bulldogs are led by 14th-year head coach Bob Rients, who has totaled a record of 318-359 overall and 213-203 in the NSIC since taking over as head coach 2006.
Nestled in Northern Minnesota’s wooded region and located on the shore of Lake Bemidji, Bemidji State University sponsors 15 varsity athletic programs with NCAA Division I men’s and women’s hockey membership in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, while its 13 NCAA Division II programs hold membership in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC).