BEMIDJI, Minn. -- The Bemidji State University baseball team continues its seven-game road trip with a three-game series March 27-28 at the University of Sioux Falls in Sioux Falls, S.D. The Beavers and Cougars open the weekend with a doubleheader at 12 p.m. Saturday followed by a single nine-inning game at 12 p.m. Sunday at Sioux Falls Stadium.
- Who: Bemidji State (1-9, 0-5 NSIC) at Sioux Falls (4-3, 0-3 NSIC)
- When: Saturday, March 27 (12/2 p.m.)/Sunday, March 28 (12 p.m.)
- Where: Sioux Falls, S.D. (Sioux Falls Stadium)
Series History Under Bellew
- Overall Record: BSU leads, 10-9
- Record in Bemidji: BSU leads, 5-3
- Record in Winona: USF tied, 4-3
Bemidji State Overview
- Bemidji State was swept in a midweek doubleheader March 24 at Winona State University. The Warriors took game one 5-2 followed by a 10-0 win in seven innings during game two.
- Freshman pitcher Will Lavin (0-2) threw a career-high eight strikeouts in game one after entering with seven total on the season. He threw 5.0 innings with six hits, four walks and three earned runs allowed. Lavin took the loss while junior pitcher Kenny Morris threw 1.0 inning with one strikeout, one hit and one walk allowed. Sophomore Tom Keohen accounted for both of BSU’s runs, moving home after a double on a passed ball and wild pitch before driving in an RBI on a double to left center field in the seventh inning.
- Winona State took a 1-0 lead after the second inning and extended it with two runs in the third and six in the fifth. The Beavers totaled three baserunners in the second inning but accounted for just three during their six other innings.
- Following Wednesday’s doubleheader, the Beavers rank seventh in the NSIC with 66 hits, eighth with 40 runs scored and 35 walks, and 13th with a .224 batting average. On the mound, BSU ranks fourth in the conference with 79 strikeouts and last in ERA, and hits and runs allowed.
- Keohen leads BSU with 16 total bases, 10 hits, three doubles and eight RBI, and has recorded four RBI over the last three games. Juniors Logan Barrick, Parker Borg and Sam Kalberer each have eight hits and four runs scored entering the weekend while Barrick has six RBI.
- Morris leads the team with 10.2 innings pitched and holds an ERA of 6.75 with nine strikeouts and four walks in four appearances. Lavin holds an ERA of 8.59 in 7.1 innings pitched after his third appearance and second start of the season on Wednesday. He leads the team with 12 strikeouts and is holding opponents to a .226 batting average.
About Sioux Falls
- The Cougars are led by head coach Grant Hieb in his third season with the program. He enters Thursday with an overall record of 56-110 with Sioux Falls.
- USF was swept in its NSIC-opening series at Minot State University, taking losses of 12-2, 13-3 and 11-3. Sioux Falls plays the University of Minnesota Crookston in a doubleheader Thursday, March 25 in Brandon, S.D., before hosting Bemidji State Saturday and Sunday.
- USF is hitting .246 as a team, which ranks 10th in the NSIC, with a .355 slugging percentage and .358 on-base percentage. USF is 12-of-17 in stolen bases and has 12 doubles, two triples and two home runs with 72 total bases.
- Outfielder Trey Hubers leads USF in hitting at .389 with seven hits in 18 at bats and 10 total bases. He has a .522 OBP and is 2-of-2 on steals. Junior shortstop Grant Lung is hitting .375 in seven starts with team bests in hits with nine, runs with six, home runs with two, and RBI with 10 as well as total bases with 17. He has a .708 slugging mark and .444 OBP. Lung, who has hits in all seven games this year, twice has three RBIs in a game and two other times has two RBI in a game as he has totaled four multi-RBI games this season and 17 in his career. Freshman Zach Andreasen has opened with a .308 average as a designated hitter. In four starts, he has four hits with 13 at bats and two doubles with three RBI.
- On the mound, USF has a 6.45 earned run average (10th in the NSIC) with opponents hitting .288. The Cougars have allowed 11 home runs and 21 extra base s hits but own a 2-to-1 ratio in strikeouts to walks at 49-to-24.
- The Cougars are led by junior Cole Schumacher, who is 1-1 with a 3.86 earned run average in two starts. He has a team-high 13 strikeouts, including a career-best eight in his last start against Minot State. He threw a complete game three-hitter against Truman State on March 13 when he had five strikeouts. Junior Matt Graham is 1-1 with a 4.20 earned run average with a complete game and nine strikeouts in a team-high 15 innings. Andrew Maslowski is 1-0 with a 3.0 earned run average while Alex Krout is 1-1 with a 8.64 earned run average in two starts. He has 10 strikeouts and no walks. USF is fielding .973 with six errors, 159 putouts and 55 assists.
Nestled in Northern Minnesota’s wooded region and located on the shore of Lake Bemidji, Bemidji State University sponsors 15 varsity athletic programs with NCAA Division I men’s and women’s hockey membership in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, while its 13 NCAA Division II programs hold membership in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC).