BEMIDJI, Minn. -- The Bemidji State University baseball team hosts Wayne State College for a doubleheader Tuesday, April 6 at BSU Baseball Field in the middle of its seven-game home stand. The Beavers and Wildcats will open with a seven-inning game at 3 p.m. with a nine-inning game to follow.
- Who: Bemidji State (2-16, 1-12 NSIC) vs. Wayne State (5-9, 4-6 NSIC)
- When: Wednesday, April 7 (3/5 p.m.)
- Where: Bemidji, Minn. (BSU Baseball Field)
Series History Under Bellew
- Overall Record: WSC leads, 37-7
- Record in Bemidji: WSC leads, 14-4
- Record in Wayne: WSC leads, 18-2
- Record at Neutral Site: WSC leads, 5-1
Bemidji State Overview
- Bemidji State was on the wrong end of a three-game sweep April 2-3 at home against Augustana University.
- The Vikings opened the series Friday with wins of 21-0 and 24-0 before taking a 17-5 win on Saturday.
- After giving up 10 runs to Augustana in the first inning of Saturday’s game, Bemidji State stayed with AU while being outscored 7-5 over the final six innings. The Beavers put together three runs in the sixth inning behind a solo home run by senior Isaiah Grancorvitz, an RBI single by freshman Carter Simon, and a sac fly by freshman Brooks Bachmann. Simon’s RBI was his second of the day while sophomore Tom Keohen added a solo home run in the fifth inning.
- Among student-athletes with at least 10 games played, junior Parker Borg leads BSU with a .286 batting average and four stolen bases. He ranks third on the team with 12 hits and second with three doubles. Junior Sam Kalberer and Keohen are tied for the team lead with 14 hits each, while Keohen leads the squad with 15 RBI.
- Morris leads the BSU pitching staff with a 5.31 ERA and a .267 opposing batting average in a team-high 20.1 innings pitched. He’s accounted for 12 strikeouts, which ranks fourth among the team’s pitchers. Freshman Will Lavin leads the Beavers with 17 strikeouts in five appearances and four starts.
- Heading into the weekend, Bemidji State ranks sixth in the NSIC with 72 walks, 11th with 17 stolen bases, 13th with 73 runs scored and 30 extra-base hits, 14th with 106 hits and last with a .206 batting average.
- The Beaver pitching staff ranks 11th in the league with 113 strikeouts and 15th with a 13.47 ERA, 241 hits allowed, 193 earned runs allowed and 95 walks.
About Wayne State
- The Wildcats are led by head coach Alex Koch in his seventh season with the program. He enters the week with a career record of 137-136 with Wayne State.
- WSC saw a three-game series against the University of Minnesota Crookston canceled due to COVID-19 protocols. Most recently, Wayne State took a doubleheader sweep loss to Minot State University, 15-14 and 15-6, on March 30.
- Junior outfielder Alex Logelin led WSC with six hits and seven RBI against MiSU. He recorded four hits, including one double, with three RBI and one run scored in the 15-14 loss before adding a double and a solo home run in the series finale. Senior infielder Peyton Barnes hit two home runs in the Wildcats’ doubleheader opener, including a grand slam, with seven RBI in the game.
- The Wildcats enter Wednesday ranked fifth in the NSIC with a .280 batting average, 115 runs, 77 walks and 52 extra-base hits, seventh with 25 stolen bases and ninth with 121 hits.
- The WSC pitching staff ranks 11th in the conference with 70 walks, 12th with 143 hits, 14th with a 9.00 ERA and 108 earned runs allowed, and 15th with 99 strikeouts.
- Fans will be permitted to attend.
- Masks are required at all times.
- No food or beverage is allowed.
- Restrooms are available in the PE Complex building.
- All fans must complete the BSU Online Health Screen tool prior to entering.
- Please see more information at our Fan Attendance Policy website HERE.
Nestled in Northern Minnesota’s wooded region and located on the shore of Lake Bemidji, Bemidji State University sponsors 15 varsity athletic programs with NCAA Division I men’s and women’s hockey membership in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, while its 13 NCAA Division II programs hold membership in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC).