BEMIDJI, Minn. -- The Bemidji State University baseball team’s midweek doubleheader against Concordia University-St. Paul has been pushed back one day to Thursday, April 15 in St. Paul, Minn., ahead of a three-game series April 17-18 at Southwest Minnesota State University. The Beavers and Golden Bears will play at 1:30 p.m. on Thursday at Barnes Field before facing the Mustangs at 1:30 p.m. on Saturday and 12 p.m. on Sunday in Marshall, Minn.
- Who: Bemidji State (3-17, 2-13 NSIC) vs. Concordia-St. Paul (9-14, 5-12 NSIC)
- When: Thursday, April 15 (1:30/3:30 p.m.)
- Where: St. Paul, Minn. (Barnes Field)
Series History Under Bellew
- Overall Record: CSP leads, 33-14
- Record in Bemidji: CSP leads, 12-6
- Record in St. Paul: CSP leads, 12-4
- Record at Neutral Site: CSP leads, 9-4
- Who: Bemidji State (3-17, 2-13 NSIC) at Southwest Minn. State (7-12, 5-11 NSIC)
- When: Saturday, April 17 (1:30/3:30 p.m.)/Sunday, April 18 (12 p.m.)
- Where: Marshall, Minn. (Legion Field)
Series History Under Bellew
- Overall Record: SMSU leads, 24-14
- Record in Bemidji: SMSU leads, 10-7
- Record in Marshall: SMSU leads, 9-5
- Record at Neutral Site: SMSU leads, 5-2
Bemidji State Overview
- Bemidji State took a home split against Wayne State College April 14 during its only games last week.
- The Beavers were edged out in the opening game of the doubleheader, 1-0, before taking an 11-9 win in the nine-inning game.
- Junior pitcher Logan Barrick (0-2) threw a complete game in the seven-inning loss as one earned run in the first inning was the difference. He allowed eight hits with four strikeouts while leaving seven Wildcat baserunners on stranded through the game. Junior Sam Kalberer led BSU with two hits while junior Parker Borg, senior Isaiah Grancorvitz and sophomore John Perkins each recorded one hit each.
- Wednesday’s nine-inning game went back-and-forth through the first four innings. WSC took the first lead with one run in the first inning before adding two more in the top of the second for a 3-0 lead. BSU came back with four runs in the bottom of the third inning, all with two outs, for a 4-3 lead. The Wildcats took the lead back in the fourth inning, 5-4, before the Beavers took the final lead with five runs in the bottom half. A bases loaded hit by pitch tied the game at 5-5 before Borg and freshman Carter Simon each hit RBI singles. Grancorvitz added a sac fly to end scoring in the fourth and recorded another sac fly in the sixth inning. A wild pitch added BSU’s final run for an 11-5 lead in the sixth while WSC added three runs in the seventh and one in the ninth. Junior pitcher Travis Carruth earned his first save of the season after throwing the final 2.0 innings for BSU with one hit allowed and WSC’s ninth-inning run coming in as unearned.
- Borg went 4-of-5 from the plate in BSU’s win with three RBI, three runs scored, three singles and one double. Freshman Brooks Bachmann and Simon joined Borg with multiple hits in the game while freshman pitcher Hunter Haggenmiller (1-1) earned the win with two strikeouts and two earned runs allowed in 2.1 innings.
- Borg leads BSU from the plate hitting .340 on 17 hits, four doubles and 21 total bases. He also leads the team with five stolen bases and has scored nine runs. Sophomore Tom Keohen leads the squad with 15 RBI and three home runs while hitting .233 from the plate.
- Junior pitcher Kenny Morris leads the pitching staff with a 6.14 ERA and an opposing batting average of .292 in 22.0 innings pitched. Haggenmiller holds an ERA of 7.43 in 13.1 innings with 10 strikeouts while Carruth has an ERA of 8.56 in 13.2 innings with nine strikeouts.
- Heading into the week, Bemidji State ranks eighth in the NSIC with 81 walks, ninth with 170 strikeouts, 11th with 21 stolen bases, 14th with 33 extra-base hits and 15th in batting average, runs and hits.
- The Beaver pitching staff ranks 15th in the league with a 12.41 ERA, 261 hits, 247 runs, 200 earned runs, 103 walks and 123 strikeouts.
About Concordia-St. Paul
- The Golden Bears are led by head coach Neil Lerner in his second season leading the program. He has spent the past 13 years on the CSP staff and holds a career record of 16-20 in his two seasons as head coach.
- CSP went 2-4 over its last week of games, taking a split April 7 at Minot State University (L, 5-3; W, 16-10) before dropping three of four games April 10-11 to the University of Minnesota Crookston (L, 4-2; L, 6-3; W, 9-4; L, 6-1).
- Senior Patrick Bordewick leads the Golden Bears hitting .325 from the plate with 26 hits, 14 RBI and 12 runs scored. Junior Jarod Wandersee paces the club with 17 RBI on 17 hits, three home runs and three doubles.
- Senior pitcher Michael Voss leads the CSP starting rotation with a 3.09 ERA in 23.1 innings pitched, while senior Luke DeGrammont holds an ERA of 3.28 and sophomore Griffin Lapp has an ERA of 3.41 with 25 strikeouts to nine walks and an opposing batting average of .245.
- The Golden Bears enter the week ranked eighth in the conference with 170 hits, ninth with 76 walks, 10th with 105 runs, 12th with 19 stolen bases and 13th with a .246 batting average and 195 strikeouts.
- The CSP pitching staff ranks fourth in the NSIC with a 4.65 ERA, fifth with 172 strikeouts, sixth with 90 earned runs allowed, eighth with 112 runs allowed, tied for ninth with 171 hits and 11th with 92 walks.
About Southwest Minnesota State
- The Mustangs are led by head coach Paul Blanchard in his 25th season leading the program. He is SMSU’s all-time wins leader and holds a record of 542-520-2 entering the week.
- SMSU has lost five straight games over its last week of action, falling in both games of a doubleheader against Minnesota State University, Mankato (L, 4-2; L, 4-0) and in a three-game sweep to Winona State University (L, 2-1; L, 2-1; L, 9-7).
- Senior Nathan Kuhn leads the Mustangs hitting .455 from the plate with 30 hits, 15 runs, nine RBI and seven doubles. Junior Matt Bezdicek leads SMSU with 18 RBI on 20 hits with three home runs and a .323 batting average.
- Freshman pitcher Kolby Kiser leads the SMSU starting rotation with a 2.57 ERA in 14.0 innings with nine strikeouts and seven walks. Junior John Bezdicek leads the staff with 28.2 innings pitched with a 2.83 ERA and 41 strikeouts to nine walks. He is holding opposing batters to a .178 batting average.
- The Mustangs enter the week ranked third in the NSIC with 143 strikeouts, ninth with a .260 batting average, 12th with 149 hits, 13th with 92 runs and 72 walks, 14th with 36 extra-base hits and 15th with eight stolen bases.
- The SMSU pitching staff ranks fourth with 82 earned runs allowed, fifth with 71 walks, sixth with 153 hits and 106 runs allowed, seventh with a 5.05 ERA and 13th with 140 strikeouts.
- Fans will be permitted to attend.
- Masks are required at all times.
- No food or beverage is allowed.
- Restrooms are available in the PE Complex building.
- All fans must complete the BSU Online Health Screen tool prior to entering.
- Please see more information at our Fan Attendance Policy website HERE.
Nestled in Northern Minnesota’s wooded region and located on the shore of Lake Bemidji, Bemidji State University sponsors 15 varsity athletic programs with NCAA Division I men’s and women’s hockey membership in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, while its 13 NCAA Division II programs hold membership in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC).