BEMIDJI, Minn. -- The Bemidji State University baseball team will remain in the area during a five-game span over the next five days against St. Cloud State University and Northern State University. The Beavers and Huskies will play a doubleheader Wednesday, April 21 at 1:30 p.m. in St. Cloud, Minn., before a three-game series between the Beavers and Wolves at 1:30 p.m. Saturday, April 24 and 12 p.m. Sunday, April 25 in Bemidji, Minn.
- Who: Bemidji State (4-21, 3-17 NSIC) vs. St. Cloud State (10-10, 8-7 NSIC)
- When: Wednesday, April 21 (1:30/3:30 p.m.)
- Where: St. Cloud, Minn. (Joe Faber Field)
Series History Under Bellew
- Overall Record: SCSU leads, 34-12-1
- Record in Bemidji: SCSU leads, 7-5
- Record in St. Cloud: SCSU leads, 11-5
- Record at Neutral Site: SCSU leads, 16-2-1
- Who: Bemidji State (4-21, 3-17 NSIC) at Northern State (12-12, 11-9 NSIC)
- When: Saturday, April 24 (1:30/3:30 p.m.)/Sunday, April 25 (12 p.m.)
- Where: Bemidji, Minn. (BSU Baseball Field)
Series History Under Bellew
- Overall Record: BSU leads 20-19
- Record in Bemidji: NSU leads, 9-6
- Record in Aberdeen: BSU leads, 9-5
- Record at Neutral Site: Tied, 5-5
Bemidji State Overview
- Bemidji State went 1-5 during its five-game series against Concordia University-St. Paul and Southwest Minnesota State.
- In a site reversal, the Beavers were swept in a doubleheader Thursday, April 15 by the Golden Bears, 7-3 and 13-9, in St. Paul, Minn. BSU held a lead in both games but CSP scored four runs in extra innings to take game one and forced BSU to make a four-run, seventh-inning rally during game two.
- Bemidji State held off Southwest Minnesota State in the final game of a three-game series in Marshall, Minn., for a 10-9 victory. SMSU opened the weekend with a 12-1 win over BSU while the Beavers again put together late-game runs during a 14-12 loss in game two.
- The Beavers put together two four-run innings during its 10-9 win on Sunday and finished with the team’s second-most hits of the season at 17. BSU’s third most hits during a game came the night before with 16 in the 14-12 loss. The Beavers also hit five doubles for a season-high and saw six student-athletes have multiple hits.
- Over the last four games, BSU has totaled 47 hits from the plate which is its most over a four-game span this season, previously totaling 36 hits from March 10-20.
- Junior Parker Borg is currently on an eight-game hitting streak and junior Sam Kalberer is on a 15-game reached base streak, both the longest by a Beaver this season. Borg has two eight-game hitting streaks for BSU during his last two full seasons (2019 and 2021) that stands as the longest streak since Matt Kummet in 2018. Kalberer’s reached base streak is also the longest such streak at BSU since senior Isaiah Grancorvitz reached base 19 straight games in 2018.
- Borg leads the team hitting .333 from the plate with 22 hits, which ranks second, and is hitting .387 from the plate during his eight-game hitting streak. Kalberer follows behind Borg hitting .308 from the plate with a team-high 24 hits. Sophomore Tom Keohen leads the Beavers with 17 RBI, followed by Grancorvitz with 14 and freshman Carter Simon with 11.
- Simon combined to drive in six RBI over the final two games of the series against SMSU, including his first career home run, a grand slam in the fourth inning of game two to give BSU a 5-2 lead.
- Freshman pitcher Hunter Haggenmiller (2-2) earned the win against SMSU after entering to pitch in the fifth inning. Junior pitcher Travis Carruth send the SMSU batting order down in the bottom of the ninth inning to claim his second save of the season.
- Heading into the week, Bemidji State ranks sixth in the NSIC with 99 walks, 10th with 209 strikeouts and 25 stolen bases, 12th with 119 runs, 14th with 171 hits and 15th hitting .232 from the plate.
- The Beaver pitching staff ranks 14th with 147 strikeouts and 15th with 331 hits, 250 earned runs, 122 walks and a 12.30 ERA.
About St. Cloud State
- The Huskies are led by head coach Pat Dolan in his 14th season leading the program. Dolan holds a career record of 497-185-1 for St. Cloud State.
- SCSU only played one of its scheduled six games over the last week as two against Upper Iowa University and three against the University of Minnesota Duluth were canceled. SCSU dropped its only game of the week to UMD, 5-4, in a non-conference tilt in St. Cloud.
- Senior infielder/outfielder Matt Quade leads the Huskies hitting .369 from the plate, including 24 hits and 20 RBI.Freshman outfielder John Nett follows Quade with a .361 batting average but leads the team with 26 hits and nine extra-base hits.
- Freshman pitcher Luke Tupy leads the starting rotation with a 2.65 ERA in four starts. He’s holding opposing batters to a .179 average. Freshman pitcher Jack Habeck leads the relief staff with a 1.61 ERA in 22.1 innings pitched. He has struck out 20 batters and walked five while holding a WHIP of 0.72.
- The Huskies currently rank first in the NSIC with 138 strikeouts, second with a .316 batting average, fifth with 38 stolen bases and seventh with 204 hits.
- The SCSU pitching staff ranks second in the NSIC with 151 hits allowed, 78 earned runs allowed and 69 walks, third with a 4.37 ERA and 11th with 164 strikeouts.
About Northern State
- The Wolves are led by head coach Dean Berry in his 11th season leading the program. He has totaled a career record of 205-244.
- Northern State went 2-3 over its past week of games including a doubleheader against Augustana University and a three-game series against Minot State University, all in Aberdeen, S.D. NSU split with AU, first a 2-0 loss before a 4-3 win in nine innings, and took losses of 6-4 and 13-3 before a series-finale win, 10-0, against MiSU.
- Sophomore third baseman Reece Ragatz leads the Wolves hitting .333 from the plate with a .905 OPS and a .528 slugging percentage. Junior catcher Spencer Sarringar leads the club with 19 RBI and is one of three Wolves with four stolen bases.
- Senior pitcher Seth Brewer leads the NSU starting rotation with a 1.99 ERA and is coming off his second NSIC Pitcher of the Week award. He threw a seven-inning no-hitter versus Minot State in the team’s win. Brewer struck out nine batters during his fifth win of the season.
- The Wolves enter the week ranked ninth in the NSIC with 201 strikeouts, tied for 12th with a .245 batting average, 14th with 108 runs, 172 hits and 20 stolen bases and 15th with 72 walks.
- The NSU pitching staff ranks fifth in the league with a 4.99 ERA, fourth with 174 hits, fifth with 101 earned runs, seventh with 190 strikeouts and 10th with 98 walks.
- Fans will be permitted to attend.
- Masks are required at all times.
- No food or beverage is allowed.
- Restrooms are available in the PE Complex building.
- All fans must complete the BSU Online Health Screen tool prior to entering.
- Please see more information at our Fan Attendance Policy website HERE.
Nestled in Northern Minnesota’s wooded region and located on the shore of Lake Bemidji, Bemidji State University sponsors 15 varsity athletic programs with NCAA Division I men’s and women’s hockey membership in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, while its 13 NCAA Division II programs hold membership in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC).