BEMIDJI, Minn. -- The Bemidji State University baseball team is set to host the University of Mary for a doubleheader Wednesday, April 28 before traveling to Crookston, Minn., for three-game series against the University of Minnesota, Crookston Saturday, May 1 and Sunday, May 2.
- Who: Bemidji State (5-25, 4-21 NSIC) vs. UMary (15-14, 12-10 NSIC)
- When: Wednesday, April 28 (1:30/3:30 p.m.)
- Where: Bemidji, Minn. (BSU Baseball Field)
Series History Under Bellew
- Overall Record: BSU leads, 20-19
- Record in Bemidji: BSU leads, 10-7
- Record in Bismarck: UMary leads, 12-10
- Who: Bemidji State (5-25, 4-21 NSIC) at Minnesota Crookston (17-6, 12-6 NSIC)
- When: Saturday, May 1 (1:30/3:30 p.m.)/Sunday, May 2 (12 p.m.)
- Where: Crookston, Minn. (Minnesota Crookston Baseball Field)
Series History Under Bellew
- Overall Record: BSU leads 21-14
- Record in Bemidji: BSU leads, 8-7
- Record in Crookston: BSU leads, 6-4
- Record at Neutral Site: BSU leads, 7-3
Bemidji State Overview
- Bemidji State went 1-5 during its five-game series against St. Cloud State University and Northern State University.
- BSU was swept during its mid-week doubleheader on April 21 at SCSU, 9-4 and 8-1. The Beavers scored late in both games after giving up early runs to the Huskies.
- BSU began its three-game series with a 5-3 win over NSU before taking losses of 12-1 and 15-3 during the two nine-inning games. The Beavers overcame a 3-0 deficit after the top of the fifth inning during game one with all five of its runs coming in the fifth and sixth innings. Junior pitcher Kenny Morris (2-2) earned the win after allowing just one hit with one strikeout in 1.2 innings.
- Junior Sam Kalberer extended his current on-base streak to 20 games with two hits, including a double, in the series finale versus Northern State. He leads BSU’s qualified hitters with a .305 batting average, a .407 on-base percentage and 29 hits. Sophomore Tom Keohen leads the team with 18 RBI and three home runs.
- Freshman Carter Simon drove in all three of BSU’s runs in the series finale, including his second career home run, and now has 10 RBI over his last seven games.
- Freshman pitcher Hunter Haggenmiller made two appearances over the last five games and leads the team with a 7.17 ERA. He allowed just one earned run on six hits and one walk in three innings pitched against SCSU and NSU.
- Bemidji State and Minnesota Crookston played two non-conference games this season in Fort Scott, Kan. UMC won both games, 23-6 and 17-6, as BSU junior Logan Barrick recorded four RBI.
- Heading into the week, Bemidji State ranks seventh in the NSIC with 112 walks, eighth with 241 strikeouts, 12th with 27 stolen bases, tied for 13th with 11 home runs, 14th with 202 hits, 15th with a .231 batting average and 133 runs scored.
- The Beaver pitching staff ranks 14th in the league with 140 walks and 15th with an 11.63 ERA, 395 hits, 283 earned runs and 170 strikeouts.
- The Marauders are led by head coach Tanner Spencer in his second season leading the program. Spencer holds a career record of 18-23 for UMary.
- UM went 3-2 over its last five games against Minot State University and the University of Minnesota Duluth. UMary opened its week with a 3-2 win and a 12-2 loss at Minot State. The Marauders followed with wins of 10-0 and 12-8, and a 13-9 loss at home against the Bulldogs.
- Freshman Calvin James leads the team with a .366 batting average, 37 hits, 23 runs, 10 doubles and 25 RBI. He has recorded multiple hits in five of his last six games including seven RBI and seven runs scored over that span.
- Sophomore pitcher Brandon Gill leads the UM pitching staff with a 2.08 ERA in five relief appearances. Sophomore Jonathan Draheim leads the starting rotation with a 2.70 ERA in six starts for 40.0 innings. He has totaled 28 strikeouts to six walks with an opponent batting average of .226.
- The Marauders rank tied for fourth in the conference with 32 home runs, tied for sixth with 39 stolen bases, 10th with 158 runs, 12th with 104 walks, 13th with a .253 batting average and 219 hits, and 14th with 275 strikeouts.
- The UM pitching staff ranks sixth in the NSIC with 223 hits and 231 strikeouts, 10th with a 5.94 ERA and 148 earned runs allowed, and 13th with 126 walks.
About Minnesota Crookston
- The Golden Eagles are led by head coach Steve Gust in his seventh season leading the program. He has totaled a career record of 140-144 with the Golden Eagles.
- Minnesota Crookston went 1-4 over its last five games against Southwest Minnesota State University and St. Cloud State. UMC began its week with a 5-3 win over SMSU before dropping four straight games, its longest losing streak of the season.
- Senior Brock Reller leads UMC with a .333 batting average, 29 hits, 29 RBI, nine home runs, three triples and 67 total bases.
- Junior pitcher Jake Dykhoff leads the pitching staff with a 1.54 ERA in six appearances and five starts. He has recorded a team-high 50 strikeouts with seven walks and an opposing batting average of .195.
- The Golden Eagles enter the week ranked second in the NSIC with 40 home runs, third with 132 walks, fifth with 193 runs, eighth with 34 stolen bases, 10th with a .268 batting average and 246 strikeouts, and 14th with 202 hits,
- The UMC pitching staff ranks third with 192 hits, fifth with 122 earned runs and 108 walks, ninth with a 5.84 ERA and 14th with 178 strikeouts.
- Fans will be permitted to attend.
- Masks are required at all times.
- No food or beverage is allowed.
- Restrooms are available in the PE Complex building.
- All fans must complete the BSU Online Health Screen tool prior to entering.
- Please see more information at our Fan Attendance Policy website HERE.
Nestled in Northern Minnesota’s wooded region and located on the shore of Lake Bemidji, Bemidji State University sponsors 15 varsity athletic programs with NCAA Division I men’s and women’s hockey membership in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, while its 13 NCAA Division II programs hold membership in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC).