BEMIDJI, Minn. -- The regular season comes to a close for the Bemidji State University baseball team as it will host Minot State University on May 5 for a doubleheader before a three-game home series May 7-8 against the University of Minnesota Duluth. BSU and MiSU throw first pitch at 1:30 p.m. on Wednesday while the opening day against UMD begins at 1:30 p.m. Friday followed by senior day at 12 p.m. Saturday at BSU Baseball Field.
- Who: Bemidji State (7-28, 6-24 NSIC) vs. Minot State (20-14, 18-11 NSIC)
- When: Wednesday, May 5 (1:30/3:30 p.m.)
- Where: Bemidji, Minn. (BSU Baseball Field)
Series History Under Bellew
- Overall Record: BSU leads, 12-11
- Record in Bemidji: MiSU leads, 5-3
- Record in Minot: BSU leads, 6-4
- Who: Bemidji State (7-28, 6-24 NSIC) at Minnesota Duluth (13-22, 10-19 NSIC)
- When: Friday, May 7 (1:30/3:30 p.m.)/Saturday, May 8 (12 p.m.)
- Where: Crookston, Minn. (Minnesota Crookston Baseball Field)
Series History Under Bellew
- Overall Record: UMD leads, 33-10
- Record in Bemidji: UMD leads, 11-5
- Record in Duluth: UMD leads, 16-3
Bemidji State Overview
- Bemidji State earned its first season sweep with wins over the University of Mary before three losses at the University of Minnesota Crookston during its last week of action.
- The pitching staff along with a couple big innings from the bats gave the Beavers wins of 6-4 and 13-8 over the Marauders in Bemidji. Junior Logan Barrick threw a complete game win in game one while freshman Carter Simon accounted for five RBI between both games.
- Simon continued driving in runs against the Golden Eagles with five RBI in losses of 7-5, 11-4 and 9-8. Just two of UMC’s seven runs in game one were earned while game three featured five lead changes, the last of which came by the Golden Eagles with three runs in the bottom of the eighth inning.
- Junior Sam Kalberer extended his current on-base streak to 25 games, the longest such streak for BSU since Joey Hanowski with 25 games in 2016. The previous on-base streak of more than 25 games came by Zach Bruan and Jaryd Marks with 27 in 2013 and 2012, respectively. BSU has not had an on-base streak of more than 27 games since at least the 2007 season.
- Simon is on a six-game hitting streak, going 10-of-23 from the plate in those games. He has also scored a run and driven in an RBI in the last six games, including 10 RBI against UMary and Minnesota Crookston.
- During BSU’s game two win over UMary, the Beavers relief pitching threw 5.1 innings with no earned runs allowed on five hits and no walks.
- Freshman pitcher Grant Hartmann started game one against UMC, throwing 4.2 innings with no earned runs allowed on three hits and two walks with two strikeouts.
- Heading into the week, Bemidji State ranks tied for eighth in the NSIC with 129 walks, ninth with 275 strikeouts, 13th with 169 runs scored and 30 stolen bases, and 15th with a .241 batting average, 249 hits.
- The Beaver pitching staff ranks 15th in the league with a 10.84 ERA, 441 hits, 310 earned runs, 157 walks and 199 strikeouts.
About Minot State
- The Beavers are led by head coach Scott Eul in his fifth season leading the program. Eul holds a career record of 127-76 since being named head coach in June of 2016.
- Minot State went 3-2 over its last week of action, taking a home split against St. Cloud State University with a 7-6 game one win and a 7-3 loss in game two. Minot State followed with a road series win over Minnesota Duluth, opening with wins of 9-7 and 7-5 on Saturday before a 10-5 loss on Sunday.
- Sophomore Kaiden Cardoso leads MiSU hitting .289 from the plate with a team-high 34 runs scored, 23 walks and an on-base percentage of .440. Junior Jordan Williams leads the team with 30 RBI, 31 hits, 62 total bases, a .569 slugging percentage, eight home runs, two triples and 15 stolen bases.
- Sophomore pitcher Dominick Parkhurst leads the starting rotation with a 3.86 ERA in 30.1 innings with 34 strikeouts and seven walks. Junior pitcher Jordan Chappell leads the relievers with a 0.96 ERA in 18.2 innings with 37 strikeouts and nine walks.
- The Beavers ranks second in the conference with 76 stolen bases, third with 237 runs scored, fourth with 139 walks, fifth with 39 home runs, sixth with 284 hits, ninth with a .272 batting average and 15th with 315 strikeouts.
- The MiSU pitching staff ranks tied for third with 314 strikeouts, sixth with a 5.25 ERA, eighth with 154 earned runs, tied for ninth with 136 walks and 10th with 287 hits.
About Minnesota Duluth
- The Bulldogs are led by head coach Bob Rients in his 16th season leading the program. He has totaled a career record of 341-391 with the Bulldogs.
- Minnesota Duluth went 3-2 over its last week of action, taking a 5-1 and 6-5 sweep over Southwest Minnesota State University before losing two of three against Minot State.
- Junior Brandt Kolpack and senior Anders Brown lead the Bulldogs hitting .330 from the plate while Brown leads the team with 24 RBI, 30 runs scored and seven stolen bases.
- Sophomore pitcher Russ Tanner leads the UMD starting rotation with a 4.23 ERA in 38.1 innings with 48 strikeouts and 15 walks. Senior pitcher Liam Blaschko leads the entire pitching staff with a 2.70 ERA in 30.0 innings with 19 strikeouts and five walks.
- The Bulldogs enter the week ranked fifth in the NSIC with 296 hits, seventh with a .277 batting average, 10th with 127 walks, 11th with 34 stolen bases, 12th with 172 runs, 13th with 309 strikeouts.
- The UMD pitching staff ranks 10th in the conference with 227 strikeouts, 11th with 138 walks, 13th with a 6.75 ERA and 204 earned runs, 14th with 331 hits.
- Fans will be permitted to attend.
- Masks are required at all times.
- No food or beverage is allowed.
- Restrooms are available in the PE Complex building.
- All fans must complete the BSU Online Health Screen tool prior to entering.
- Please see more information at our Fan Attendance Policy website HERE.
Nestled in Northern Minnesota’s wooded region and located on the shore of Lake Bemidji, Bemidji State University sponsors 15 varsity athletic programs with NCAA Division I men’s and women’s hockey membership in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, while its 13 NCAA Division II programs hold membership in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC).