BEMIDJI, Minn. -- The Bemidji State University football team travels to Fayette, Iowa for a Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference match up with Upper Iowa University Saturday. Kickoff is slated for 6 p.m.
The Beavers, who are in search of their first victory of the 2014 season, are 5-0 all-time versus the Peacocks, including a 1-0 record when playing UIU on its home turf.
The Bemidji State-Upper Iowa series has traditionally been a high-scoring affair. The Beavers have recorded in excess of 40 points in four of the previous five occasions and the teams have combined for as any as 84 points in a 56-28 BSU victory Nov. 9, 2007. In all, the Beavers enter the 2014 meeting with UIU averaging 44.8 points per game while the Peacocks have scored jsut 18 points per meeting.
Things to know:
• Last week’s 274 yards passing marked BSU’s largest total since Sept. 15, 2012--a streak spanning 21 games. BSU passed for 348 yards in that game versus Wayne State.
• Since 1999, Bemidji State is 67-7 when scoring in excess of 30 points. The Beavers are also 67-7 when holding their opponents to fewer than 20 points.
• This season BSU has been inside the redzone on just three occasions and is 1-for-3 in those trips. In 2014, BSU has used long-distance scoring to get on the board. Only Jonathan Albercrombie’s four-yard run last week has come from within 24 yards, in fact, BSU’s average scoring play this season has come from nearly 39 yards out, including a season-long 81-yard reception to Blake Holder.
• A year ago the Beavers were the least penalized team in the NSIC and sat fourth in the nation averaging just 29.4 penalty yards per game. In 2014, BSU ranks third in the league at 29.5 penalty yards per game and have been flagged just nine times in two games.
Sept. 13, Sioux Falls scored 52 points, marking the first time since Sept. 24, 2005, when Concordia-St. Paul posted 55 points, that the BSU Gang Green defense has surrendered 50 points or more.
• Last week, the Beavers turned the ball over six times, leading directly to a pair of touchdowns by USF and the Cougars eventually converted BSU turnovers into 42 points. This season, BSU is -4 in turnover margin (4-8).
For more information on the Bemidji State athletic programs, tickets or schedules, visit BSUBeavers.com, follow the Beavers on Twitter (@BSUBeavers), like them on Facebook (facebook.com/BSUBeavers) or sign up for the TXTUpdates from BSUBeavers.com text-messaging system through the "Multimedia" pull down menu on the main page of BSUBeavers.com.
Nestled in Northern Minnesota’s wooded region and located on the shore of Lake Bemidji, Bemidji State University sponsors 15 varsity athletic programs with NCAA Division I men’s and women’s hockey membership in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, while its 13 NCAA Division II programs hold membership in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC).