BEMIDJI, Minn. -- The Bemidji State University men’s basketball program readies for its second exhibition of the 2018-19 season as it will face University of Northern Iowa on Tuesday, Nov. 6 in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. The Beavers and Panthers tip-off at 7 p.m. from the McLeod Center.
The Series vs. Northern Iowa
- Bemidji State leads the all-time record against Northern Iowa in non-exhibition games, 2-1. Over the past three meetings, which were all exhibitions, the Panthers have won each time by a margin of 21.3 points per game.
- Tuesday’s meeting will be the third exhibition between the two programs since 2013, as UNI won the previous two by scores of 71-48.
- Junior forward Logan Bader and sophomore forward Zach Baumgartner are the only two current Beavers that played UNI in their most recent meeting Oct. 28, 2016. Both came off the bench, while Bader played 22 minutes with three points and four rebounds while Baumgartner played five minutes with two points and two rebounds.
Fast Break Bemidji State
- BSU dropped its first exhibition of the season Saturday, Oct. 27 at Valley City State University, 86-83. After being outscored by five points in the first half, 45-40, the Beavers came back in the second to outscore the Vikings, 43-41.
- Sophomore forward Derek Thompson and junior guard Ja Morgan led the Beavers with 15 points each, while Thompson recorded a double-double with 14 rebounds, including three offensive. Bader, Morgan, Thompson and junior guard Jacob Hoffman each shot 50 percent from the field as starters. All four finished the game with double-digit scoring, while junior guard Jacob McNallan scored seven points and grabbed seven rebounds in the starting lineup.
- The Beavers shot 50.7 percent from the field, 29.6 percent from beyond the arc and 62.5 percent from the free throw line as a team. Seventeen BSU turnovers led the 15 points for VCSU.
- Bemidji State comes off a 12-16 overall record during the 2017-18 season and return two starters. Six letter winners in total return for the 2018-19 season while nine newcomers join the program.
- The Beavers finished the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference schedule 9-13, including a 5-9 record in the NSIC North Division.
- Head Coach Mike Boschee enters his seventh season with the program after totaling a 76-91 record with the Beavers and a 191-206 career record in 15 seasons as a head coach. Assistant coaches Mike Iseman and Tim Wagner begin their first seasons in their respective positions in 2018-19 with the Beavers.
- Bader was named BSU’s Player to Watch in the 2018-19 NSIC Preseason Coaches’ Poll. He leads all BSU returners in scoring, rebounding, assists, steals and 3-point percentage. Bader averaged 11.8 points and 6.0 rebounds per game while shooting 50.2 percent from the field and 50.4 percent from 3-point range.
- Bemidji State ranked 13th in scoring offense last season in the NSIC with 72.9 points per game. BSU’s defense saw a boost during the 2017-18 season while ranking second in the conference allowing 44.0 percent shooting from the field and sixth allowing 36.1 percent shooting from long range.
Scouting Northern Iowa
- Tuesday marks UNI’s season-opener after playing two exhibition games. Northern Iowa opened its exhibition schedule with a 110-69 win over Wartburg College before taking down Upper Iowa University, 82-63, in its final exhibition.
- Freshman guard AJ Green led the Panthers with 21.5 points per game between the two exhibitions, including 27 points against the Peacocks. He shot 53.1 percent from the field and 47.1 percent from beyond the arc, shooting 8-for-17 on 3-point attempts.
- Six Panthers recorded double-digit scoring in their win over Wartburg while three scored at least 10 points against Upper Iowa.
- UNI was voted to finish fifth in the Missouri Valley Conference (MVC) Preseason Poll by league sports information directors, members of the media and MVC coaches.
- The Panthers return two starters from the 2017-18 season in junior forward Isaiah Brown and sophomore guard Tywhon Pickford. Seven additional Panthers return from last season while the squad added four newcomers, including three transfers and one true freshman.
- Northern Iowa finished the 2017-18 season with an overall record of 16-16, including a record of 12-4 at home.
- The Panthers shot 42.0 percent from the field, 33.5 percent from beyond the arc and 72.1 percent from the free throw line while averaging 34.7 rebounds per game.
- UNI head coach Ben Jacobson and Boschee were teammates at University of North Dakota from 1989-91. Both were members of the 1989-90 UND men’s basketball team that was inducted into the UND Hall of Fame in 2009.
- Jacobson is the UNI men’s basketball program’s all-time wins leader with 234 through 11 seasons. He has posted an overall record of 234-134 (.636), averaging 21.3 wins per season at UNI.
For more information on the Bemidji State athletic programs, tickets or schedules, visit BSUBeavers.com, follow the Beavers on Twitter (@BSUBeavers), like them on Facebook (facebook.com/BSUBeavers) or sign up for the TXTUpdates from BSUBeavers.com text-messaging system through the "Multimedia" pull down menu on the main page of BSUBeavers.com.
Nestled in Northern Minnesota’s wooded region and located on the shore of Lake Bemidji, Bemidji State University sponsors 15 varsity athletic programs with NCAA Division I men’s and women’s hockey membership in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, while its 13 NCAA Division II programs hold membership in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC).