BEMIDJI, Minn. -- The Bemidji State University men’s basketball program closes out exhibition play Saturday, Nov. 10 with a 4 p.m. tip-off at South Dakota State University. The Beavers and Jackrabbits meet for the fifth time ever, while BSU is searching for its first win against the program.
The Series vs. South Dakota State
- South Dakota State holds a 4-0 lead in the all-time series versus Bemidji State, which began Dec. 30, 1941 in Moorhead, Minn. BSU and SDSU last played in 2002 and 2003 at the Jackrabbit Thanksgiving Classic in Brookings, S.D.
- The Beavers averaged 75.5 points per game over the last two meetings against the Jackrabbits.
Fast Break Bemidji State
- BSU fell in its first two exhibition contests of the season. Bemidji State first fell to Valley City State University, 86-83, before a 97-51 loss to University of Northern Iowa, both on the road.
- Junior guard Ja Morgan leads BSU in scoring over the first two exhibition games at 14.5 points. He is shooting 57.1 percent from the field and 50.0 percent from beyond the arc.
- Sophomore forward Derek Thompson recorded a double-double in the exhibition against VCSU with 15 points and 14 rebounds. He leads BSU with 10.0 rebounds per game after a seven-point, six-rebound performance against UNI.
- BSU is shooting 42.5 percent from the field, 22.4 percent from 3-point range and 62.5 percent from the free throw line during the exhibition schedule. The Beavers are pulling down 33.5 rebounds per game while allowing 44.5. Bemidji State has put up 70 points in the second half of games compared to 64 in the first.
- Bemidji State comes off a 12-16 overall record during the 2017-18 season and return two starters. Six letter winners in total return for the 2018-19 season while nine newcomers join the program.
- The Beavers finished the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference schedule 9-13, including a 5-9 record in the NSIC North Division.
- Head Coach Mike Boschee enters his seventh season with the program after totaling a 76-91 record with the Beavers and a 191-206 career record in 15 seasons as a head coach. Assistant coaches Mike Iseman and Tim Wagner begin their first seasons in their respective positions in 2018-19 with the Beavers.
- Bader was named BSU’s Player to Watch in the 2018-19 NSIC Preseason Coaches’ Poll. He leads all BSU returners in scoring, rebounding, assists, steals and 3-point percentage. Bader averaged 11.8 points and 6.0 rebounds per game while shooting 50.2 percent from the field and 50.4 percent from 3-point range.
- Bemidji State ranked 13th in scoring offense last season in the NSIC with 72.9 points per game. BSU’s defense saw a boost during the 2017-18 season while ranking second in the conference allowing 44.0 percent shooting from the field and sixth allowing 36.1 percent shooting from long range.
Scouting South Dakota State
- SDSU has started the season 2-0 overall after wins of 79-74 against Grand Canyon University Nov. 6 and 78-61 against Alabama State University Nov. 8, both in Brookings.
- The Jackrabbits are averaging 78.5 points per game while shooting 46.8 percent from the field and 35.9 percent from 3-point range. SDSU is holding its opponents to 67.5 points per game on 37.4 percent shooting from the floor and 32.1 percent shooting from beyond the arc.
- South Dakota State is outrebounding its opponents, 44.5-30.5, per game, led by Mike Daum with 13.0 rebounds per game. Daum also leads the team with 21.5 points per game on 16-of-36 shooting.
- Four Jackrabbits are averaging double-digit scoring, including David Jenkins at 18.5 points per game while shooting 6-of-13 from 3-point range.
- Head coach T.J. Otzelberger is in his third season at SDSU with two consecutive trips to the NCAA Tournament. He has totaled a 46-24 overall record and earned Coach of the Year honors in 2017-18.
For more information on the Bemidji State athletic programs, tickets or schedules, visit BSUBeavers.com, follow the Beavers on Twitter (@BSUBeavers), like them on Facebook (facebook.com/BSUBeavers) or sign up for the TXTUpdates from BSUBeavers.com text-messaging system through the "Multimedia" pull down menu on the main page of BSUBeavers.com.
Nestled in Northern Minnesota’s wooded region and located on the shore of Lake Bemidji, Bemidji State University sponsors 15 varsity athletic programs with NCAA Division I men’s and women’s hockey membership in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, while its 13 NCAA Division II programs hold membership in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC).