BEMIDJI, Minn. -- Bemidji State University and Northland College meet for the 52nd time in the series history at 4 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 17 at BSU Gymnasium. The matchup is the final home non-conference game for the Beavers during the 2018-19 season.
The Series vs. Northland College
- Bemidji State leads the all-time series against Northland College, 44-7.
- BSU has won five straight games in the series, dating back to Dec. 13, 1991.
- The Beavers won the most recent meeting, 101-58, on Nov. 28, 2016 in Bemidji, Minn.
- Junior guard Jacob McNallan led the Beavers with five assists while adding four rebounds, three points and one steal.
- Junior forward Logan Bader scored eight points on 3-of-6 shooting, including 2-of-4 shooting from 3-point range.
- The series began Dec. 5, 1941, a 62-31 win by Bemidji State at home. BSU won the first 13 games of the series.
Fast Break Bemidji State
- BSU opened the 2018-19 season with a 103-63 win against Oak Hills Christian College.
- The Beavers began to pull away with a 17-2 run after leading 50-45 in the second half.
- Sophomore guard Jacob Hoffman tied BSU’s single-game program record with nine 3-pointers and led the team with 27 points. Bader scored all of his 18 points in the game during the second half, shooting 6-for-6 in the final period. Sophomore forwards Zach Baumgartner and Derek Thompson led the Beavers with 12 rebounds each while both finishing the game with a double-double.
- Bemidji State finished the game shooting 52.7 percent from the field, 40.5 percent from 3-point range and 71.4 percent from the charity stripe. The Beavers dominated the rebound margin against the Wolfpack, 57-26, including 16 offensive rebounds that led to 20 second-chance points.
- Head Coach Mike Boschee is in his seventh season with the program after totaling a 77-91 record with the Beavers and a 192-206 career record in 15 seasons as a head coach. Assistant coaches Mike Iseman and Tim Wagner begin their first seasons in their respective positions in 2018-19 with the Beavers.
- Bader was named BSU’s Player to Watch in the 2018-19 NSIC Preseason Coaches’ Poll. He led all BSU returners in scoring, rebounding, assists, steals and 3-point percentage during the 2017-18 season. Bader averaged 11.8 points and 6.0 rebounds per game while shooting 50.2 percent from the field and 50.4 percent from 3-point range.
- BSU was selected to finish 14th in the 2018-19 NSIC Preseason Coaches’ Poll released earlier this season. The Beavers finished with 50 total points while topping Concordia University-St. Paul and University of Mary in the overall poll. Bemidji State was selected to finish seventh in the NSIC North Division Poll with 14 total points. The Beavers again topped the Marauders in the divisional poll, by six points.
Scouting Northland College
- Northland College fell in its season opener Nov. 10 against Augsburg University, 91-76, before taking its first win of the season Nov. 14 at Finlandia University, 64-55.
- The LumberJacks jumped out to a 19-5 lead over the first 12 minutes of action and went into halftime with a 32-23 advantage despite shooting just 27.3 percent from the field. NC finished the second half shooting 42.3 percent from the field to pull out the win.
- Benny Larry Jr., led the LumberJacks with 21 points on 5-of-13 shooting from the field and 5-of-11 from 3-point range. Britten Modesta followed Larry Jr., with 17 points on 5-of-14 shooting and led the team with 14 rebounds.
- The LumberJacks finished the game shooting 33.9 percent from the field, 39.1 percent from long range and 55.6 percent from the free throw line. Northland trailed the rebound margin, 46-38, but took advantage of 23 Finlandia turnovers.
- Head Coach Scott Sorenson is in his eighth season with the LumberJacks and holds an overall record of 55-119. Sorenson is joined on the bench by assistant coach Cole Schreiner and volunteer assistant coach Rick Whiting.
For more information on the Bemidji State athletic programs, tickets or schedules, visit BSUBeavers.com, follow the Beavers on Twitter (@BSUBeavers), like them on Facebook (facebook.com/BSUBeavers) or sign up for the TXTUpdates from BSUBeavers.com text-messaging system through the "Multimedia" pull down menu on the main page of BSUBeavers.com.
Nestled in Northern Minnesota’s wooded region and located on the shore of Lake Bemidji, Bemidji State University sponsors 15 varsity athletic programs with NCAA Division I men’s and women’s hockey membership in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, while its 13 NCAA Division II programs hold membership in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC).