BEMIDJI, Minn. -- For the first time since the 2011-12 season, the Bemidji State University men’s basketball program will be traveling outside of the region for an early-season tournament at the Jay McCormick Classic held in West Palm Beach, Fla. BSU will open the tournament Tuesday, Nov. 20 against the host school Palm Beach Atlantic University followed by the final game of the trip Wednesday, Nov. 21 against University of Puerto Rico-Bayamon.
The Series vs. Palm Beach Atlantic/UPR-Bayamon
- Bemidji State has never faced Palm Beach Atlantic or UPR-Bayamon.
- The two southeast programs are the only teams on BSU’s 2018-19 schedule that the Beavers have never faced before.
Fast Break Bemidji State
- BSU began the season 2-0 for the third time under head coach Mike Boschee following a 95-69 win over Northland College Saturday, Nov. 17.
- The Beavers went on a 23-0 run midway through the first half to enter halftime with a 58-34 advantage.
- Sophomores Jacob Hoffman and Derek Thompson combined for 37 points in the first half, including six 3-pointers from Hoffman after tying the BSU single-game record with nine 3-pointers in the season opener.
- As a team, the Beavers shot 62.7 percent from the field on 37-of-59 shooting from the field. Thompson led the team in scoring with a career-high 27 points on 12-of-14 (85.7 percent) shooting from the field. Hoffman scored all 18 of his points in the first half on 6-of-9 shooting from long range. BSU ended the game shooting 12-of-23 (52.2 percent) from 3-point range.
- Boschee begins is in his seventh season with the program after totaling a 78-91 record with the Beavers and a 193-206 career record in 15 seasons as a head coach. Assistant coaches Mike Iseman and Tim Wagner are in their first seasons on the bench with the Beavers.
- Junior forward Logan Bader was selected as BSU’s Player to Watch in the 2018-19 Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference Preseason Coaches’ Poll. He led all BSU returners in scoring, rebounding, assists, steals and 3-point percentage during the 2017-18 season. Bader averaged 11.8 points and 6.0 rebounds per game while shooting 50.2 percent from the field and 50.4 percent from 3-point range.
- BSU was selected to finish 14th in the 2018-19 NSIC Preseason Coaches’ Poll released earlier this season. The Beavers finished with 50 total points while topping Concordia University-St. Paul and University of Mary in the overall poll. Bemidji State was selected to finish seventh in the NSIC North Division with 14 total points. The Beavers again topped the Marauders in the divisional poll by six points.
Scouting Palm Beach Atlantic
- The Sailfish enter the tournament with a 1-2 record overall after losses of 80-72 to University of West Georgia and 82-74 to Queens University of Charlotte and a win of 86-82 over Lee University (Tenn.).
- PBA is averaging 77.3 points while allowing 81.3 points per game through its first three contests. The Sailfish are shooting 42.9 percent from the field, 21.7 percent from long range and 68.9 percent from the free throw line.
- Jules Jasmin leads the team with 19.0 points per game on 59.0 percent shooting from the floor. He also ranks second on the team with 6.7 rebounds per contest, trailing Andrew Moemeka with 7.3 rebounds per game. The Sailfish have three student-athletes averaging at least 10 points per game entering the tournament.
- Head coach David Balza is in his sixth season leading the program with a 61-78 record at the helm of the Sailfish. In 19 seasons as a head coach, Balza holds a career record of 277-273.
- UPR-Bayamon came away with a 68-65 win in its season opener Saturday, Nov. 17 against University of Montevallo.
- After trailing 65-61 with 1;14 to play, the Cowboys scored the final seven points of the game while holding the Falcons to 0-for-3 from the field over that span.
- Enrique Circuns led the team with 16 points on 6-of-13 shooting, including 4-of-11 from 3-point range, while Luis Cuascut led with eight rebounds to go along with 15 points.
For more information on the Bemidji State athletic programs, tickets or schedules, visit BSUBeavers.com, follow the Beavers on Twitter (@BSUBeavers), like them on Facebook (facebook.com/BSUBeavers) or sign up for the TXTUpdates from BSUBeavers.com text-messaging system through the "Multimedia" pull down menu on the main page of BSUBeavers.com.
Nestled in Northern Minnesota’s wooded region and located on the shore of Lake Bemidji, Bemidji State University sponsors 15 varsity athletic programs with NCAA Division I men’s and women’s hockey membership in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, while its 13 NCAA Division II programs hold membership in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC).