BEMIDJI, Minn. -- The Bemidji State University men’s basketball program hosts Northern State University and Minnesota State University Moorhead Dec. 7-8 for the first of two season meetings with the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference North Division institutions. The Beavers tip-off Friday’s game against the Wolves at 7:30 p.m. followed by Saturday’s contest against the Dragons at 5:30 p.m. at BSU Gymnasium.
The Series vs. Northern State
- Northern State leads the all-time series against Bemidji State, 63-27.
- NSU swept the 2017-18 series with BSU’s most recent win coming Feb. 11, 2017, a 63-59 decision. The Beavers have won three of the last nine games against the Wolves.
- The Wolves won the most recent meeting, 104-76, Feb. 10, 2018 in Bemidji, Minn.
- Sophomore forward Derek Thompson averaged 9.5 points and 4.5 rebounds per game last season against Northern State. Junior forward Logan Bader scored 8.0 points per game and led BSU with 6.0 rebounds per game.
- The series began Dec. 18, 1959, a 78-48 win by Bemidji State.
The Series vs. MSU Moorhead
- MSU Moorhead leads the all-time series against Bemidji State, 97-85.
- BSU swept the season series in 2017-18 against MSUM for the first time since 2003-04
- The Beavers’ two wins came as an 82-81 victory Dec. 9, 2017 in Moorhead, Minn., and an 80-73 decision Feb. 9, 2018 in Bemidji.
- Bader and Thompson each recorded their first career 20-point scoring games against the Dragons. Thompson did it first Dec. 9 while averaging 17.5 points between the two games. Bader hit the feat Feb. 9 with 22 points and averaged 16.5 points per game.
- The series began Feb. 17, 1928, a 33-22 win by MSU Moorhead. Bemidji State has faced MSU Moorhead more than any opponent in program history at 182 games.
Fast Break Bemidji State
- BSU pulled out a 96-95 overtime win against University of Minnesota Crookston Saturday, Dec. 1 in the conference opener at BSU Gymnasium. The Beavers overcame a five-point deficit with 30 seconds in regulation to force overtime. The Beavers outscored the Golden Eagles, 16-15, in overtime.
- BSU won the rebound margin, 43-36, and scored 15 second-chance points.
- Bemidji State shot 47.9 percent from the field, 39.3 percent from beyond the arc and 70.8 percent from the free throw line against Minnesota Crookston.
- Five Beavers scored at least 14 points while two recorded double-doubles.
- Junior forward Logan Bader led BSU with 21 points and was one rebound shy of a double-double. Junior guard Ja Morgan recorded his first double-double of his BSU career with 16 points and 10 assists. Sophomore forward Derek Thompson tallied his second double-double of the season with 15 points and 10 rebounds in 28 minutes of action. Sophomore forward Zach Baumgartner scored 15 points on 5-of-7 shooting off the bench. Junior guard Jacob McNallan scored 14 points, including shooting 8-of-8 from the free throw line.
- On the season, Thompson leads the squad with 17.2 points per game with two games of at least 22 points. He also paces the team on the boards with 8.8 rebounds per game. Thompson and Bader rank among the top five in the NSIC in field goal percentage. Thompson leads the league shooting 65.9 percent and Bader ranks fifth shooting 58.3 percent.
- The Beavers are 4-0 this season when leading at halftime and have won the rebound margin in all five of their games.
Scouting Northern State
- Northern State opened NSIC play Saturday, Dec. 1 with a 16-point, 70-54, victory over divisional rival MSU Moorhead.
- Four Wolves scored in double figures, while the team shot 38.5 percent from the floor and 33.3 percent from the foul line. NSU tallied 29 points off the bench, 14 assists, 13 points off turnovers and seven made 3-pointers. NSU out-rebounded MSUM, 51-34, with 12 offensive boards.
- Justin Decker led the team with 15 points and was one rebound shy of a double-double. Parker Fox led the Wolves off the bench with 14 points, shooting 60.0 percent from the floor. Ian Smith and Mason Stark each tallied 12 points, while Smith notched his first double-double of the season with a team-high 14 boards.
Scouting MSU Moorhead
- MSUM split its last two games over the past week, taking down Mayville State University, 94-73, before falling at Northern State, 70-54.
- Park averaged 16.0 points and 5.5 rebounds per game over the week while scoring a game-high 21 points in the loss at Northern State. Beeninga averaged 12.0 points and 2.0 assists per game while scoring a season-high 16 points against Mayville State. Freshman center Jesse Bergh totaled career highs of 12 points and 16 rebounds in the win over MSU. Baumgartner reached double-digit scoring for the sixth time this season with 12 points against NSU.
- The Dragons finished non-conference play 6-2 overall and enters the weekend averaging 89.9 points per game. MSUM has five student-athletes averaging double-figure scoring, including Addison Park with 15.2 points, Travaun Coad with 13.8 points, Gavin Baumgartner with 13.6, Bryce Irsfeld with 11.9 points and Johnny Beeninga with 10.1 points per game. Irsfeld leads MSUM with 23 3-pointers and 35 assists through nine games.
For more information on the Bemidji State athletic programs, tickets or schedules, visit BSUBeavers.com, follow the Beavers on Twitter (@BSUBeavers), like them on Facebook (facebook.com/BSUBeavers) or sign up for the TXTUpdates from BSUBeavers.com text-messaging system through the "Multimedia" pull down menu on the main page of BSUBeavers.com.
Nestled in Northern Minnesota’s wooded region and located on the shore of Lake Bemidji, Bemidji State University sponsors 15 varsity athletic programs with NCAA Division I men’s and women’s hockey membership in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, while its 13 NCAA Division II programs hold membership in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC).