BEMIDJI, Minn. -- The Bemidji State University men’s basketball program travels for the first time in conference play to face Wayne State College Dec. 15 and Augustana University Dec. 16. The Beavers open the weekend at 4:30 p.m. Saturday in Wayne, Neb., followed by a 2:30 tip-off Sunday in Sioux Falls, S.D.
The Series vs. Wayne State
- Wayne State leads the all-time series against Bemidji State, 27-23.
- BSU has won four straight and nine of the last 11 games versus Wayne State.
- The Beavers won the most recent meeting, 91-70, Feb. 2, 2018 in Bemidji, Minn.
- Junior forward Logan Bader scored 13 points in last season’s contest against the Wildcats while also totaling eight rebounds, three assists, one steal and one block. Sophomore forward Derek Thompson also reached double-digit scoring with 10 points while adding six rebounds.
- The series began Dec. 30, 1973, a 71-58 win by Bemidji State at the Wayne State Invitational.
The Series vs. Augustana
- Augustana leads the all-time series against Bemidji State, 15-6.
- The Vikings have won seven straight games against the Beavers while BSU took its last win in the series, 97-79, Jan. 10, 2014. The victory was on the back-end of back-to-back wins over AU.
- Augie won two games versus Bemidiji State last season, first a 92-66 decision Feb. 3, 2018 during the regular season followed by an 88-72 victory Feb. 21, 2018 to open the 2017-18 NSIC Tournament.
- Bader averaged 10.5 points per game against the Vikings last season, shooting 38.1 percent from the field with 5.0 rebounds per game. Thompson scored 9.5 points per game on 43.8 percent shooting from the field with 5.5 rebounds per contest.
- The series began Feb. 10, 1968, a 95-86 win by Bemidji State.
Fast Break Bemidji State
- Bemidji State was swept in its first full weekend of conference games to Northern State University, 84-73, and to Minnesota State University Moorhead, 100-97.
- The Wolves overcame a 17-point deficit and scored 20 of the final 30 points of the game to come back against the Beavers. Junior guard Ja Morgan led the team with 25 points while Thompson followed with 24. Morgan shot 9-for-13 from the field and added five assists and one steal.
- BSU’s loss to NSU was the first game in which the Beavers had totaled less rebounds than their opponent. Northern State won the rebound margin in the second half, 20-6.
- MSUM shot over 60 percent from the field and from 3-point range while adding 20 points off turnovers to take down BSU. All five Beavers starters scored in double figures, led by Bader with 23 points and junior guard Jacob McNallan with 22.
- Saturday’s loss to MSUM was the first time BSU had let an opponent shoot over 50 percent from the field and the first time BSU shot a lower field goal percentage than its opponent
- On the season, Thompson leads the squad with 18.3 points per game with three games of at least 22 points. He also paces the team on the boards with 7.7 rebounds per game and has three double-doubles. Thompson and Morgan each rank among the top six in the NSIC in field goal percentage while Bader comes in behind at eighth. Sophomore guard Jacob Hoffman leads the league shooting 58.8 percent from behind the arc, followed by Bader shooting 57.7 percent.
Scouting Wayne State
- Wayne State is coming off back-to-back wins over Upper Iowa University, 83-56, and Winona State University, 82-80 in overtime, to extend its winning streak to seven games overall and three in conference play.
- The Wildcats’ seven-game streak is the longest for the program since 1999-2000 when they won 15 straight.
- WSC shot over 50.0 percent in both wins and has now shot over the mark in six of nine games this season.
- Senior guard Vance Janssen scored a career-high 25 points at Winona State, including two free throws with 2.5 seconds left in overtime. Senior guard Kendall Jacks was 10-of-12 shooting for 21 points at Upper Iowa. Jacks has scored double figures in all nine games this season.
- Augustana enters the weekend after picking up two NSIC wins during its last full weekend out, defeating Winona State, 88-80, and Upper Iowa, 91-76.
- The Vikings scored 56 points in the second half to complete a comeback victory over the Warriors. Five student-athletes scored in double figures in the win.
- Augustana scored a season-high 91 points Saturday against Upper Iowa, the first time the team topped 90 points since Feb. 21, 2017 at Bemidji State. AU was helped by 21 assists on 33 made field goals, marking the second time this season with at least 20 assists.
- Matt Cartwright led Augustana Friday night versus Winona State with 21 points while adding four rebounds and three assists. Tyler Riemersma locked in his second double-double of the season with 19 points and a game-high 13 rebounds versus the Warriors. Michael Schaefer led the Vikings with 18 points and added six rebounds against the Peacocks.
For more information on the Bemidji State athletic programs, tickets or schedules, visit BSUBeavers.com, follow the Beavers on Twitter (@BSUBeavers), like them on Facebook (facebook.com/BSUBeavers) or sign up for the TXTUpdates from BSUBeavers.com text-messaging system through the "Multimedia" pull down menu on the main page of BSUBeavers.com.
Nestled in Northern Minnesota’s wooded region and located on the shore of Lake Bemidji, Bemidji State University sponsors 15 varsity athletic programs with NCAA Division I men’s and women’s hockey membership in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, while its 13 NCAA Division II programs hold membership in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC).