BEMIDJI, Minn. -- The Bemidji State University men’s basketball program faces one of its toughest tests of the season Jan. 11-12 with a trip to face the top two teams in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference North Division in Minnesota State University Moorhead and Northern State University. The Beavers begin the weekend at 7:30 p.m. Friday against the Dragons in Moorhead, Minn., before a 6 p.m. tip-off Saturday against the Wolves in Aberdeen, S.D.
vs. MSU Moorhead
- MSU Moorhead leads the all-time series against Bemidji State, 98-85.
- The Dragons edged out the Beavers in the first meeting of the season, 100-97, Dec. 8, 2018 in Bemidji, Minn. Prior to the 2018-19 series, BSU swept the season series against MSUM in 2017-18 for the first time since 2003-04.
- Despite shooting over 50 percent from the floor and coming back from a 15-point deficit, BSU allowed MSUM to shoot 61 percent from the field through the game.
- All five Beavers starters reached double-digit points, led by junior forward Logan Bader with a season-high 23 points. Junior guard Ja Morgan led the squad with a previous-career-high nine assists followed by sophomore guard Jacob Hoffman with a career-high six assists.
- The series began Feb. 17, 1928, a 33-22 win by MSU Moorhead. Bemidji State has faced MSU Moorhead more than any opponent in program history at 183 games.
vs. Northern State
- Northern State leads the all-time series against Bemidji State, 64-27.
- NSU won the first meeting of 2018-19 series against BSU, 84-73, Dec. 7, 2018 in Bemidji.
- The Beavers opened the second half with an 11-2 run to take a game-high 17-point lead but allowed the Wolves to score 10 unanswered points immediately after. Another run, this time of 7-0, brought NSU back to within two points and eventually retook the lead, 64-63, for the first time since early in the first half.
- Morgan and sophomore forward Derek Thompson combined for 49 points, led by Morgan with a career-high 25.
- The series began Dec. 18, 1959, a 78-48 win by Bemidji State.
Fast Break Bemidji State
- Bemidji State dropped Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference games to University of Minnesota Duluth, 72-57, and St. Cloud State University, 107-101 in double overtime, Jan. 4-5.
- BSU trailed UMD by just two points, 34-32, heading into the second half before the teams trended in opposite directions shooting from the floor. The Beavers shot 35.7 percent from the field compared to 55.6 percent for the Bulldogs during the second half. Morgan led BSU in scoring with 13 points, followed by Bader with 12.
- The Beavers topped 100 points for the second time this season against the Huskies, marking its first 100-point game in conference play since Dec. 20, 2013 versus University of Minnesota Crookston, a 103-61 win.
- Morgan led BSU in scoring for the second straight game with 24 points, followed by Thompson with 22. The duo combined to shoot 19-for-25 from the field. Freshman guard Max Bjorklund recorded his first career double-double with 17 points and 10 assists. Bader also recorded a double-double with 15 points and 13 rebounds.
- On the season, Thompson leads the squad with 15.2 points per game with four games of at least 22 points. He also paces the team on the boards with 7.1 rebounds per game, which ranks ninth in the NSIC, and has three double-doubles. Thompson ranks sixth in the NSIC in field goal percentage while Bader comes in at 18th. Hoffman ranks second among the league shooting 51.7 percent from behind the arc.
- BSU ranks behind only MSU Moorhead and St. Cloud State among NSIC programs in offensive field goal percentage.
Scouting MSU Moorhead
- MSU Moorhead now has a season-high four-game winning streak after road wins over Winona State University, 68-65, and at Upper Iowa University, 99-95 in overtime, last weekend.
- The Dragons’ four-game winning streak, by a combined 14 points, has placed the squad in second in the NSIC North Division.
- Four Dragons average double-digit scoring, led by freshman guard Gavin Baumgartner with 16.1 points per game.
- Junior guard Johnny Beeninga averaged 19.0 points per game on the weekend while shooting 83.3 percent from 3-point range. Senior forward Addison Park averaged 15.5 points and 8.0 rebounds per game while senior guard Travaun Coad averaged a double-double with 12.0 points and 10.5 rebounds.
Scouting Northern State
- Northern State enters the weekend with an 11-3 overall record and 7-1 mark to lead the NSIC North after taking a sweep at Upper Iowa, 102-73, and Winona State, 79-68.
- NSU shot 61.9 percent from the floor, 51.3 percent from 3-point range and 91.3 percent from the free throw line over the weekend.
- Seven Wolves finished the weekend averaging double-figure scoring, with eight shooting 50.0 percent or better from the field.
- Justin Decker led the team averaging 14.0 points per game, shooting 72.2 percent from the field. Gabe King and Bo Fries notched 12.5 points per game each, as both shot 66.7 percent from beyond the arc. Ian Smith and Mason Stark notched 11.5 and 11.0 points per game, respectively, as Stark tallied a career-high 17 versus Upper Iowa.
- NSU leads the league in 3-point field goal percentage and defensive rebounding, and ranks among the top three in field goal percentage, points per game and assist-to-turnover ratio.
For more information on the Bemidji State athletic programs, tickets or schedules, visit BSUBeavers.com, follow the Beavers on Twitter (@BSUBeavers), like them on Facebook (facebook.com/BSUBeavers) or sign up for the TXTUpdates from BSUBeavers.com text-messaging system through the "Multimedia" pull down menu on the main page of BSUBeavers.com.
Nestled in Northern Minnesota’s wooded region and located on the shore of Lake Bemidji, Bemidji State University sponsors 15 varsity athletic programs with NCAA Division I men’s and women’s hockey membership in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, while its 13 NCAA Division II programs hold membership in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC).