BEMIDJI, Minn. -- The Bemidji State University men’s basketball program continues the back-end of its four-game road trip with meetings Feb. 1 at University of Sioux Falls and Feb. 2 at Southwest Minnesota State University. The Beavers tip-off the weekend at 7:30 p.m. Friday against the Cougars before the weekend finale at 6 p.m. Saturday versus the Mustangs.
vs. Sioux Falls
- Sioux Falls leads the all-time series against Bemidji State, 4-3.
- USF won four straight against BSU until the Beavers took the 2017-18 matchup, 74-68, in Sioux Falls, S.D.
- In last season’s lone meeting, junior forward Logan Bader and sophomore forward Derek Thompson each scored in double figures while Bader recorded his second career double-double with 10 rebounds. The Beavers held the Cougars to under 32 percent shooting from the field and below 27 percent from 3-point range.
- Bemidji State won the first two games of the series in Bemidji, Minn., 68-49 on Nov. 20, 2011, and 72-69 on Feb. 2, 2013.
vs. Southwest Minn. State
- Southwest Minnesota State leads the all-time series against Bemidji State, 53-41.
- The Mustangs took last season’s meeting in Marshall, Minn., 78-72, on Jan. 13, 2018. Prior to that game, the Beavers pulled off an upset in Bemidji over the Mustangs, 96-86, who had received votes in the NABC Top 25 Coaches’ Poll.
- In last season’s game, Bader had neared the third double-double of his career with 14 points and nine rebounds. He shot 5-of-7 from the field and 4-of-5 from 3-point range while playing in all 40 minutes of the game. The team shot nearly 50 percent from the field and 37 percent from long range in the loss.
- The series began Dec. 7, 1968, in Marshall, a 74-60 win by the Mustangs. The Beavers followed the series-opener with eight straight wins. More recently, BSU has won six of the last nine meetings, including a streak of five in a row from Feb. 18, 2011, until Jan. 31, 2014.
Fast Break Bemidji State
- Bemidji State earned a road split in NSIC play for the first time this season with a 93-82 win over Minot State University and an 83-66 loss at University of Mary.
- BSU had its second-best shooting performance of the season against MiSU, going 34-for-55 from the field for a .618 field goal percentage which included 11-for-21 from 3-point range.
- Thompson led BSU in scoring with a career-high 28 points on 9-of-14 shooting from the field and 4-of-8 from beyond the arc. He also added career highs with four assists, three blocks, and one steal. Junior Ja Morgan followed in scoring with 16 points and led the team with eight assists.
- The Beavers opened Saturday’s game versus the Marauders 1-for-7 from the field with four turnovers that led to an 18-3 deficit seven minutes into action. The margin remained throughout the game as BSU was only able to cut U-Mary’s lead to seven points early in the second half.
- Morgan led the team in scoring with 22 points on 8-of-14 shooting while adding six assists, five rebounds, and three steals. Freshman guard Max Bjorklund followed with 15 points, including nine in the first half, and five rebounds.
- On the season, Thompson leads the squad with 15.8 points per game, good for 13th in the conference, with six games of at least 22 points. He also paces the team on the boards with 6.6 rebounds per game, which ranks ninth in the NSIC, and has four double-doubles. Thompson ranks fourth in the NSIC in field goal percentage at .574. Hoffman leads the NSIC shooting 50.5 percent from beyond the arc. Morgan also paces the league with 6.3 assists per game and holds an assist-to-turnover ratio of 2.2.
Scouting Sioux Falls
- Sioux Falls has won six of its last eight games after a split against Upper Iowa University, an 81-72 win, and versus Winona State University, an 80-77 loss.
- With the weekend split, the Cougars dropped into a tie for third place in the NSIC South but remains just one game out of first.
- USF, which has outrebounded all 20 opponents and 12 by a margin of 11 or more, ranks first int he NSIC rebounding at 43.3 per game and offensive boards at 13.8 per game.
- Drew Guebert averaged 24.5 points, 5.5 rebounds and 3.0 blocks over the weekend. He ranks fourth all-time at USF with 1,799 points and is just 10 points shy of third. Trevon Evans, who ranks third in the NSIC in scoring, averaged 13.0 points, 5.5 rebounds and 2.0 assists per game.
Scouting Southwest Minn. State
- SMSU split a pair of road games last weekend, including an 85-67 loss at Winona State and a 91-87 win at Upper Iowa, to enter the weekend with a 10-8 overall record and a 5-7 mark in conference games.
- The Mustangs shot 57 percent from the field, which is the team’s best in 14 league games, in the victory over the Peacocks Saturday.
- SMSU has not outrebounded an opponent in nine straight games. The last time the Mustangs outrebounded an opponent came on Dec. 15 at University of Minnesota Duluth.
- Ryan Bruggeman scored 29 points in the team’s loss at Winona State before putting up a team-high 21 points with eight assists and six rebounds against Upper Iowa. Taylor Schafer scored 17 points and Michael Lee chipped in 14 points with four 3-pointers in the win over Upper Iowa.
For more information on the Bemidji State athletic programs, tickets or schedules, visit BSUBeavers.com, follow the Beavers on Twitter (@BSUBeavers), like them on Facebook (facebook.com/BSUBeavers) or sign up for the TXTUpdates from BSUBeavers.com text-messaging system through the "Multimedia" pull down menu on the main page of BSUBeavers.com.
Nestled in Northern Minnesota’s wooded region and located on the shore of Lake Bemidji, Bemidji State University sponsors 15 varsity athletic programs with NCAA Division I men’s and women’s hockey membership in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, while its 13 NCAA Division II programs hold membership in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC).