BEMIDJI, Minn. -- The Bemidji State University men’s basketball program advances in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference Tournament for the second time in six seasons to face Southwest Minnesota State University Sunday, March 3 at the Sanford Pentagon in Sioux Falls, S.D. The Beavers and Mustangs tip-off at 5:30 p.m. in the second NSIC post-season meeting between the programs all-time.
vs. Southwest Minn. State
- Southwest Minnesota State leads the all-time series against Bemidji State, 54-41.
- The Mustangs won the lone meeting against the Beavers during the 2018-19 season, 84-62, Feb. 2 in Marshall, Minn. BSU came back from a game-opening deficit to trail but allowed SMSU to score multiple runs over the game in the loss.
- Four Beavers reached double-digit scoring, led by junior forward Logan Bader with 12 points. He also led the way with eight rebounds, while sophomore forward Derek Thompson totaled 10 points and six rebounds. Junior guard Ja Morgan also added 10 points with six assists, five rebounds, and two steals.
- The Beavers and Mustangs have played in post-season games twice with each team taking a win. The most recent, and only meeting in the NSIC Tournament, came during the 2006-07 season, an 86-43 win by SMSU in the opening round.
- The series began Dec. 7, 1968 in Marshall, a 74-60 win by the Mustangs. The Beavers followed the series opener with eight straight wins.
Fast Break Bemidji State
- Bemidji State finished the regular season 6-16 in conference play before taking down the No. 1 seed in the NSIC South Division, Minnesota State University, Mankato, 66-56, in the opening round of the conference tournament.
- Wednesday’s win was the first for the team in the NSIC Tournament since advancing to the championship against No. 7 Minnesota State during the 2012-13 season.
- The Beavers controlled the Mavericks while leading for the majority of the game. After trailing by one point early, 6-5, BSU went on a 9-2 run behind 3-pointers from sophomore guard Jacob Hoffman, Bader, and Thompson. BSU held MSU to 1-for-8 shooting to end the first half before holding the Mavericks to 29.4 percent (10-34) shooting in the second half.
- Morgan led BSU with 22 points on 7-of-16 shooting from the field and 4-of-7 from 3-point range while adding seven rebounds, seven assists, and one steal. He enters Sunday’s game with 176 assists on the season, seven shy of tying the BSU single-season assist record.
- Freshman Cody Landwehr recorded his third straight double-double and fourth in his last five games with 16 points and 13 rebounds.
- On the season, Thompson leads the squad with 14.1 points per game, good for 22nd in the conference, with seven games of at least 22 points. Bader paces the team on the boards with 6.0 rebounds per game, which ranks 10th in the NSIC. Thompson ranks sixth in the NSIC in field goal percentage at .540. Hoffman ranks third in the NSIC shooting 44.2 percent from beyond the arc. Morgan paces the league with 6.5 assists per game.
Scouting Southwest Minn. State
- SMSU entered the NSIC Tournament as the No. 5 seed in the south division before upending the No. 4 seed in the north Minnesota State University Moorhead, 86-81.
- Ryan Bruggeman scored a game-high 35 points while Michael Lee added 20 to pace the Mustangs to the road win.
- The Mustangs finished the game shooting 56 percent (30-54) from the field while making 10-of-17 3-pointers. SMSU, which committed just five turnovers, forced MSUM into 14 turnovers which led to 24 points for the Mustangs.
- SMSU took a game-high, 10-point lead midway through the second half before MSUM came back to within one point with three minutes to play but made 5-of-7 free throws in the final 42 seconds to seal the win.
Information such as tickets, directions, hotels, and schedules can be found HERE.
For more information on the Bemidji State athletic programs, tickets or schedules, visit BSUBeavers.com, follow the Beavers on Twitter (@BSUBeavers), like them on Facebook (facebook.com/BSUBeavers) or sign up for the TXTUpdates from BSUBeavers.com text-messaging system through the "Multimedia" pull down menu on the main page of BSUBeavers.com.
Nestled in Northern Minnesota’s wooded region and located on the shore of Lake Bemidji, Bemidji State University sponsors 15 varsity athletic programs with NCAA Division I men’s and women’s hockey membership in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, while its 13 NCAA Division II programs hold membership in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC).