BEMIDJI, Minn. -- Bemidji State University men’s basketball will host the BSU Classic Nov. 15-16 against Mayville State University and Saturday against Martin Luther College at BSU Gymnasium. The Beavers and Comets will play an exhibition Friday at 7:30 p.m. before BSU host MLC Saturday at 5:30 p.m. for Bemidji Youth Basketball Day.
vs. Mayville State
- Bemidji State leads the all-time series against Mayville State, 49-35.
- BSU has won five straight games in the series, dating back to Nov. 17, 2000.
- The Beavers won the most recent meeting, 89-52, on Nov. 17, 2015 in Bemidji, Minn.
- The series began Dec. 13, 1927, a 41-31 win by Bemidji State at home. BSU won the 16 of the first 18 games of the series.
vs. Martin Luther College
- Bemidji State and Martin Luther College have never played each other.
Fast Break Bemidji State
- BSU opened the 2019-20 season with a 117-60 win against Northland College at home.
- The Beavers opened the game on an 11-2 run, as all 11 of BSU’s points were scored by junior guard Nick Wagner. BSU jumped ahead by 31 points, 54-23, at halftime on a buzzer-beating half-court shot by Wagner. The Beavers pulled away by 40 points midway through the second half before Wagner gave BSU a 50-point, 97-47, lead with 6:15 remaining in the game.
- Bemidji State finished the game shooting 54.1 percent from the field, 51.4 percent from 3-point range and 85.7 percent from the charity stripe. The Beavers dominated the rebound margin against the Lumberjacks, 51-32, and turned 18 NC turnovers into 25 points.
- Wagner scored a team-high 30 points in his first career game with BSU, shooting 8-of-14 from 3-point range while chipping in six rebounds and four assists.
- Sophomore guard Max Bjorklund followed Wagner with a career-high 23 points off the bench with five assists.
- Junior guard Jacob Hoffman also connected from deep with 15 points on 5-of-9 shooting from beyond the arc.
- Senior guard Ja Morgan dished out 12 assists, which is one shy of the program single-game record. He now has five career games with double-digit assists, which is tied for second-most at BSU.
- Sophomore forward Cody Landwehr recorded 11 rebounds to lead BSU against Northland. He now has five career games with double-digit rebounds, all coming in his last seven games, dating back to last season.
- Junior forward Derek Thompson was the fourth Beaver to score double-digits against Northland with 10 points on 4-of-5 shooting from the field in 16 minutes.
- In addition to scoring 57 points on 3-point field goals, the Beavers added 42 points in the paint.
- BSU’s 117 points against NC was the fifth-most in a single game in program history. The last time the squad scored as many points was during a 122-61 win at Finlandia on Nov. 21, 2012.
Scouting Mayville State
- Mayville State enters Friday’s exhibition 4-2 overall after starting its season Oct. 22, 2019 against No. 10 University of Jamestown. The Comets fell in their season opener, 90-78, before going on a four-game winning streak.
- In its most recent action, Mayville State fell to Mount Marty College (S.D.), 85-77, in overtime on Nov. 9, 2019.The Comets shot 41.7 percent from the field and 34.7 percent from 3-point range while allowing the Lancers to shoot 43.5 percent from the field and 40.0 percent from long range.
- Senior Rene Melendez led MSU with 19 points against Mount Marty on 8-of-18 shooting from the field while adding five rebounds and one assist. Juniors Latrelle Franklin and Simon Ramirez each followed in scoring with 14 points each.
- On the season, Mayville State is shooting 50.1 percent from the floor, 37.2 percent from 3-point range and 68.5 percent from the free throw line. The team is pulling down 41.3 rebounds per game while averaging 90.5 points per contest.
- Melendez and Ramirez are tied for the team lead in scoring with 13.5 points per game while the Comets have five players averaging at least 10 points per game.
- The Comets are led by head coach Darren Tighe in his third season with the program.
Scouting Martin Luther College
- Martin Luther opens its 2019-20 season at the BSU Classic Friday at 5:30 p.m. against Oak Hills Christian College. Saturday’s contest against Bemidji State will be an exhibition for MLC.
- The Knights finished the 2018-19 season 7-18 overall and 4-12 in the Upper Midwest Athletic Conference.
- Martin Luther averaged 63.5 points per game while allowing 73.9 points to its opponents. The Knights shot 39.3 percent from the field and 31.4 percent from long range while giving up 44.0 percent from the field and 31.2 percent from beyond the arc to its opponents. MLC pulled down 36.4 boards per game while allowing 39.4 rebounds per game.
- Senior forward Ian Paulsen led the team last season with 11.2 points per game on 45.2 percent shooting from the floor while also pacing the team with 6.4 rebounds per game.
- The Knights are led by head coach Greg Holzhueter in his fourth season with the program.
For more information on the Bemidji State athletic programs, tickets or schedules, visit BSUBeavers.com, follow the Beavers on Twitter (@BSUBeavers), like them on Facebook (facebook.com/BSUBeavers) or sign up for the TXTUpdates from BSUBeavers.com text-messaging system through the "Multimedia" pull down menu on the main page of BSUBeavers.com.
Nestled in Northern Minnesota’s wooded region and located on the shore of Lake Bemidji, Bemidji State University sponsors 15 varsity athletic programs with NCAA Division I men’s and women’s hockey membership in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, while its 13 NCAA Division II programs hold membership in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC).