BEMIDJI, Minn. -- Bemidji State University men’s basketball takes to the road for its first full weekend of Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference games Dec. 6-7 at Northern State University and Minnesota State University Moorhead. The Beavers open the weekend Friday at 7:30 p.m. against the Wolves in Aberdeen, S.D., and close it Saturday at 5:30 p.m. against the Dragons in Moorhead, Minn.
vs. Northern State
- Northern State leads the all-time series against Bemidji State, 65-27.
- NSU won both meetings against BSU last season, Friday, Dec. 7 84-73 in Bemidji, Minn., and Saturday, Jan. 12 73-53 in Aberdeen, S.D.
- Junior forward Derek Thompson led BSU with 21.0 points per game against NSU last season on 17-of-29 shooting from the field and 6-of-9 from 3-point range. Senior guard Ja Morgan recorded his first 20-point game with 25 in the first meeting against the Wolves while adding five assists, three rebounds and one steal. The duo were the only Beavers to average double-figures in the season series.
- The last win by BSU over NSU in the series opener was Jan. 22, 2016 in Bemidji.
- The series began Dec. 18, 1959, a 78-48 win by Bemidji State.
vs. MSU Moorhead
- MSU Moorhead leads the all-time series against Bemidji State, 99-85.
- The Dragons swept the 2018-19 series by a combined five points, 100-97 on Saturday, Dec. 8 in Bemidji, Minn., and 80-78 on Friday, Jan. 11 in Moorhead, Minn.
- Senior forward Logan Bader paced BSU against MSUM with 21.0 points per game on 16-of-28 shooting from the floor and 8-of-13 from beyond the arc. Thompson put up 16.5 points and 5.5 rebounds per game while Morgan averaged 7.5 assists per game.
- Although the Dragons have won eight of the last 10 meetings dating back to the 2015-16 season, the Beavers earned a series sweep in 2017-18 for the first time since 2003-04.
- The series began Feb. 17, 1928, a 33-22 win by MSU Moorhead. Bemidji State has faced MSU Moorhead more than any opponent in program history at 184 games.
Fast Break Bemidji State
- Bemidji State comes into the first full weekend of NSIC play 3-2 overall and 0-1 in conference games. During its last weekend of non-conference play, the Beavers split at the Eckerd College Classic in St. Petersburg, Fla. BSU opened the tournament with a 60-49 loss to University of Tampa before bouncing back with a 72-66 win at the host-school Eckerd College.
- Morgan led the Beavers with 16.5 points per game over the weekend on 11-of-25 shooting from the field and 5-of-13 from beyond the arc. Morgan added 4.5 assists and 4.5 rebounds per game, including 21 points, six rebounds and six assists in BSU’s win. Junior guard Nick Wagner and Morgan were the only two Beavers to score in double-digits in both games, while Wagner averaged 13.0 points per game on 9-of-26 shooting from the floor and 8-of-22 from 3-point range. Bader recorded his sixth career double-double in BSU’s win with 12 points and 11 rebounds, nine coming in the first half.
- The Beavers have outrebounded every opponent this season by a margin of 10.8 per game. BSU currently leads the NSIC in rebounding with 44.2 per game while ranking ninth with 33.4 rebounds allowed per game. The majority of BSU’s boards have come on the defensive end, leading the conference with 34.2 per game, while the team ranks 11th with 10.0 offensive rebounds per game.
- Bemidji State enters the game as one of the best teams in the conference in field goal offense and defense. The Beavers rank fourth shooting 47.9 percent overall and first shooting 41.8 percent from beyond the arc. BSU has stifled its opponents from the floor by leading the league with 37.1 percent shooting allowed overall and ranking second allowing 30.2 percent from 3-point range.
Scouting Northern State
- Northern State fell to MSU Moorhead in its NSIC opener on Saturday, Nov. 30, 81-74, in Moorhead, Minn., to fall to 4-3 overall and 0-1 in conference play.
- The Wolves rank in the middle of the pack through the NSIC with 69.3 points allowed per game and near the bottom with 72.5 points scored per game. NSU ranks 10th in the league in rebounding defense and ninth in rebounding offense.
- On the season, Northern State is shooting 44.9 percent from the floor, 30.0 percent from 3-point range and 71.3 percent from the free-throw line.
- Sophomore forward Parker Fox leads NSU and ranks seventh in the NSIC with 18.9 points per game and leads the league with 11.0 rebounds per game. He also ranks tied for third with 1.9 blocks per game and seventh shooting 56.6 percent from the field.
Scouting MSU Moorhead
- MSU Moorhead enters the weekend 5-2 overall and a 1-0 in NSIC play. The Dragons went 21-of-23 from the free-throw line in the second half to overcome a one-point deficit at halftime.
- The Dragons rank near the top of the conference with 82.1 points per game and lead the league shooting 52.9 percent from the field. MSUM pulls down 40.6 rebounds per game while allowing 30.1 to opponents.
- On the season, MSUM is shooting 33.1 percent from 3-point range and 70.8 percent from the free-throw line. The team is allowing 67.9 points per game on 40.5 percent shooting from the field and 33.1 percent from 3-point range.
- Sophomore guard Gavin Baumgartner leads MSUM with 15.0 points per game followed closely by sophomore guard Gryce Irsfeld with 14.9 points per game.
For more information on the Bemidji State athletic programs, tickets or schedules, visit BSUBeavers.com, follow the Beavers on Twitter (@BSUBeavers), like them on Facebook (facebook.com/BSUBeavers) or sign up for the TXTUpdates from BSUBeavers.com text-messaging system through the "Multimedia" pull down menu on the main page of BSUBeavers.com.
Nestled in Northern Minnesota’s wooded region and located on the shore of Lake Bemidji, Bemidji State University sponsors 15 varsity athletic programs with NCAA Division I men’s and women’s hockey membership in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, while its 13 NCAA Division II programs hold membership in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC).