BEMIDJI, Minn. --Bemidji State University and Minnesota State University Moorhead men’s basketball continue a long-standing history with the 187th and 188th installment of the series with Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference games on Jan. 15-16 in Moorhead, Minn. The Beavers will travel for their first road conference games of the season, beginning at 6 p.m. Friday against the Dragons.
The Series vs. MSU Moorhead
- MSU Moorhead leads the all-time series against Bemidji State, 100-86.
- The Beavers and Dragons split the 2019-20 season series, as BSU grabbed a 79-67 win on the road on Dec. 7, 2019 while MSUM stole a 76-75 overtime win in Bemidji on Jan. 10, 2020.
- Senior forward Derek Thompson averaged 19.0 points per game last season against the Dragons while senior guard Nick Wagner scored 16.0 points per game. In his only game against MSUM last year, junior forward Cody Landwehr came off the bench to record 13 points on 6-of-10 shooting with six rebounds during BSU’s 79-67 victory.
- Both teams have won three games over the last six of the series.
- The series began Feb. 17, 1928, a 33-22 win by MSU Moorhead, and is the longest current series against any opponent at 186 games.
Fast Break Bemidji State
- Bemidji State returns to the road for the second time this season with a Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference matchup against North Division foe Minnesota State University Moorhead.
- BSU was swept during its home-opening and conference-opening weekend to No. 7 Northern State University. The Wolves came away with a 71-57 win after a second-half comeback by the Beavers on Friday, Jan. 8 before NSU ran away with a 100-63 win on Saturday, Jan. 9 at BSU Gymnasium. BSU fell to 2-7 against NSU when the Wolves are nationally-ranked and its 36-point loss was the largest margin against Northern State in a loss since 1995.
- The Beavers finished this past weekend shooting 35.8 percent from the field while the Wolves shot 52.5 percent, including 63.8 percent overall and 52.0 percent from behind the arc in Saturday’s 100-63 win.
- The Beavers are facing their first losing streak since a seven-game slid last season from Jan. 10-31.
- Junior guard Mohamed Kone led BSU in scoring on the weekend with 14.0 points per game and recorded his first career double-double with 18 points and 13 rebounds in Friday’s loss to NSU. Kone added 3.0 assists per game and shot 55.6 percent from the field, including 55.6 percent from 3-point range and 100.0 percent from the free-throw line.
- Thompson notched his second double-digit rebounding game with 10 in the weekend opener against NSU, including nine on the defensive end. He added five boards on Saturday and finished the weekend scoring 9.5 points per game.
- Thompson leads the team with 7.8 rebounds per game, which ranks seventh in the NSIC, and 16.5 points per game, which ranked 13th in the league.
- Thompson moved into a tie for 17th all-time in scoring at BSU following 19 points total against NSU. He enters this weekend with 1,070 career points, tied with Mason Walter (2009-13), and is 11 rebounds shy of tying for 10th all-time at BSU.
- Senior guard Griffin Chase set season-highs with 12 points, four rebounds, three assists and two 3-pointers on Saturday versus Northern State. He has played in at least 29 minutes in three of four games this season.
- Freshman forward Dalton Albrecht continues to top the Beavers’ bench after leading the unit with 6.5 points, 2.5 rebounds and 2.0 assists per game while shooting 45.4 percent from the field and 40.0 percent from beyond the arc.
- Bemidji State remains near the top of the nation in defensive rebounding, ranking 45th nationally with 27.8 boards per game on the defensive end. The mark ranks fifth in the NSIC.
Scouting MSU Moorhead
- MSU Moorhead is coming off a weekend sweep on the road over the University of Minnesota Crookston. The Dragons took the weekend-opener, 91-68, ahead of Saturday’s finale, 78-62, in Crookston, Minn.
- The Dragons are led by 11th-year head coach Chad Walthall. Walthall has accumulated a 212-105 record at MSUM and is 16-5 against BSU.
- Senior forward Gatdoar Kueth led MSUM this past weekend with 18.5 points and 4.5 rebounds per game against UMC. He tallied 18 points and five rebounds in Friday’s win followed by a career-high 20 points and four rebounds on Saturday. Kueth has scored in double figures in all four games this season.
- MSUM ranks fourth in the NSIC with 79.3 points per game and leads the league with 8.5 steals per game. The Dragons have been shooting well from the field at 48.4 percent, which ranks 29th nationally and fourth in the NSIC.
For more information on the Bemidji State athletic programs, tickets or schedules, visit BSUBeavers.com, follow the Beavers on Twitter (@BSUBeavers), or like them on Facebook (facebook.com/BSUBeavers).
Nestled in Northern Minnesota’s wooded region and located on the shore of Lake Bemidji, Bemidji State University sponsors 15 varsity athletic programs with NCAA Division I men’s and women’s hockey membership in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, while its 13 NCAA Division II programs hold membership in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC).