BEMIDJI, Minn. -- Bemidji State University men’s basketball is ready to take on two Florida programs as part of the Eckerd Thanksgiving Classic on Nov. 26-27 in St. Petersburg, Fla. BSU opens the weekend with a 12 p.m. tip-off against Eckerd College before a 3 p.m. tip-off against the University of Tampa at the MacArthur Center.
The Series vs. Eckerd
- Bemidji State and Eckerd have met once, a 72-66 win by BSU on Nov. 30, 2019 at the Eckerd Thanksgiving Classic.
- Seniors Derek Thompson and Cody Landwehr are the only two active Beavers to face the Tritons in 2019, including eight points and six rebounds from Thompson. Current Beaver and senior Travis Bianco was a member of the Tritons in that game, scoring 11 points with six rebounds and one steal.
The Series vs. Tampa
- Bemidji State and Tampa have met once, a 60-49 loss by BSU on Nov. 29, 2019 at the Eckerd Thanksgiving Classic.
- Thompson and Landwehr combined for 11 points and nine rebounds in the game, including six rebounds from Landwehr.
Fast Break Bemidji State
- Bemidji State began its 2021-22 season 2-1 after back-to-back wins and a 67-57 loss to the University of Minnesota Crookston to open Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference play on Nov. 23.
- BSU shot a season-low 33.8 percent from the field and lost the rebound battle, 50-34, to UMC.
- Sophomore forward John Sutherland led the Beavers with 16 points, nine rebounds, two steals and two blocks against the Golden Eagles.
- Senior guard Gare Ewefada scored 12 points off the bench on 5-of-9 shooting from the field.
- Sutherland leads BSU with 17.7 points per game followed by Bianco with 16.3 points and senior guard Mohamed Kone with 13.7 points per game. Sutherland also leads the team with 8.3 rebounds per game followed by Bianco with 6.3 rebounds per game.
- Bemidji State ranks fourth in the NSIC allowing 65.0 points per game, fourth shooting 52.9 percent from the field, fifth allowing 41.1 percent from the floor, sixth scoring 83.0 points per game,
- The Beavers rank second scoring 79.0 points per game, third shooting 40.4 percent from beyond the arc, third pulling down 39.7 rebounds per game, fourth with a turnover margin of 3.50, eighth allowing 31.0 rebounds per game and 14th allowing 40.5 rebounds per game.
- The Tritons are led by third-year head coach Bryan Galuski who has totaled a 11-20 record with Eckerd.
- Eckerd has opened its season 1-2 after its first two games of the season went to overtime. EC fell in its season-opener, 86-80 in overtime, before recording a win the next day, 69-67 in overtime. The Tritons most recently fell, 89-58, at Lynn University before an exhibition loss of 99-59 at Florida Gulf Coast University.
- The Tritons average 69.0 points per game, allow 80.7 points per game, shoot 41.8 percent from the field, 44.1 percent from 3-point range and 85.7 percent from the free throw line while pulling down 32.3 rebounds per game.
- Three Tritons average scoring in double-figures, led by sophomore guard Gianfranco Grafals with 13.7 points per game. Junior guard Daniel Love and sophomore guard David Swedura each score 13.0 points per game followed by junior forward Joshua Galloway with 11.0 points per game.
- The Spartans are led by 41st-year head coach Richard Schmidt who has totaled a record of 692-419 leading UT.
- Tampa opened its season with a 93-89 overtime win at Montevallo before back-to-back losses to the University of Alabama-Huntsville, 80-61, and Nova Southeastern University, 91-80.
- Freshman guard Max Jones leads the team with 19.3 points per game followed by senior guard Derrick Felder with 12.3 points per game. Senior forward Martin Lakovic paces the team with 7.7 rebounds per game.
Nestled in Northern Minnesota’s wooded region and located on the shore of Lake Bemidji, Bemidji State University sponsors 15 varsity athletic programs with NCAA Division I men’s and women’s hockey membership in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, while its 13 NCAA Division II programs hold membership in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC).