BEMIDJI, Minn. -- Bemidji State University begins a four-game road trip against the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference South Division, beginning Jan. 14 at Minnesota State University, Mankato and Jan. 15 at Concordia University-St. Paul. The Beavers and Mavericks open the weekend at 5:30 p.m. in Mankato, Minn., followed by a 3:30 p.m. tip-off against the Golden Bears in St. Paul, Minn.
The Series vs. Minnesota State
- Minnesota State leads the all-time series against Bemidji State, 73-37.
- The Beavers and Mavericks last met Jan. 3, 2021, a 91-67 win by MSU in Mankato, Minn.
- BSU and MSU split the 2019-20 season series during the season-opening weekend.
- MSU holds a 37-18 lead over BSU when playing in Mankato.
- Bemidji State and Minnesota State first met Jan. 27, 1933, a 24-23 win by MSU in Bemidji.
The Series vs. Concordia-St. Paul
- Bemidji State leads the all-time series against Concordia-St. Paul, 18-16.
- The Beavers and Golden Bears last met Nov. 16 earlier this season, an 82-67 non-conference win by BSU in Bemidji.
- BSU has won five straight against CSP dating back to Jan. 27, 2017, averaging a scoring margin of +12.0 in those games.
- CSP leads the series when played in St. Paul, 11-6.
- Bemidji State and Concordia-St. Paul first met Jan. 15, 2000, a 51-49 win by CSP in St. Paul.
Fast Break Bemidji State
- During the first full weekend out of the winter break, BSU fell at home to Winona State University, 79-74, on Friday, Jan. 7 and No. 19 Upper Iowa University, 85-81, on Saturday, Jan. 8.
- The difference in Friday’s game came midway through the second half after the Beavers built a game-high lead of seven points, 59-52, with 11:31 to play. BSU went on a 17-6 run, making seven straight field goal attempts, to grab its lead after halftime. Winona State pulled away behind a 16-5 run over a span of 8:55, missing just one field goal and making 7-of-8 free throw attempts to seal the game.
- Senior guard Travis Bianco chipped in 13 of his 23 points in the first half and finished the game shooting 8-of-14 from the field, including 5-of-9 from 3-point range. He also led BSU in rebounds for a team-high fifth time. Senior guard Mohamed Kone followed in scoring with 15 points and tied with Bianco for the BSU lead with seven rebounds.
- BSU nearly overcame a 16-point deficit to No. 19 UIU on Saturday behind Bianco’s first career 30-point game. Upper Iowa took a game-high 16-point lead midway through the opening half before Bemidji State went on a run of 25-11, including 13 points from Bianco and eight from sophomore forward Dalton Albrecht. The Beavers tied the game out of halftime and took its largest lead of the game, 64-52, with 9:03 to play. UIU chipped away and limited BSU to 1-of-6 shooting late in the game, allowing the Peacocks to take the lead with 40 seconds to play. UIU made 5-of-6 free throws to end the game.
- Bianco’s 31 points marked his third game over the last four with at least 20 points. He shot 12-of-21 from the field to go along with seven rebounds and two steals. Albrecht followed in scoring with 15 points off the bench, joining senior guard Gare Ewefada who had 12 points off the bench.
- Thompson continued to climb the scoring and rebounding charts at Bemidji State over the weekend. He moved into sole possession of fourth all-time at BSU with 1,424 points and remains fifth with 624 rebounds.
- Bemidji State has shot over 44 percent from the field for the sixth straight game and ranks 21st nationally shooting 49.9 percent from the field.
Scouting Minnesota State
- The Mavericks are led by 21st-year head coach Matt Margenthaler who is 420-187 with the program.
- MSU (10-4, 4-4 NSIC) saw its weekend slate at the University of Minnesota Duluth canceled and at St. Cloud State University postponed.
- Minnesota State leads the NSIC in rebounding offense (38.1 rpg) and blocked shots (5.5 bpg), and ranks third in field goal percentage (.494), fifth in scoring offense (81.0), sixth in field goal percentage defense (.430), ninth in scoring defense (73.4) and 13th in rebounding defense (34.8 rpg).
- Sophomore Quincy Anderson is leading the Mavericks with 18.6 points and 5.9 rebounds per game this season. Junior Devonte Thedford has tallied 12.5 points per game and is shooting 53.6% from the field. Freshman Brady Williams is averaging 12.7 points a game.
Scouting Concordia-St. Paul
- The Golden Bears are led by second-year head coach Matt Fletcher who is 2-28 with the program.
- CSP (1-15, 0-9 NSIC) has lost 15 consecutive games, including defeats of 106-71 at Minnesota Duluth and 93-80 at St. Cloud State.
- Concordia-St. Paul ranks 14th in field goal percentage (.427), 15th in scoring offense (67.8) and field goal percentage defense (.489), and 16th in scoring defense (80.9), rebounding offense (32.4 rpg) and rebounding defense (38.8 rpg).
- Freshman forward Elijah Ormiston leads CSP with 15.1 points per game, shooting 52.1 percent from the field, and also with 6.9 rebounds per game.
- Bemidji State opened its 2021-22 schedule at home against Concordia-St. Paul, taking an 82-67 win. The Beavers outscored the Golden Bears, 43-29, in the first half, led by sophomore forward John Sutherland with 18 points and Bianco and Kone with 17 points each. Bianco opened his season with a double-double after recording a team-high 11 rebounds.
For more information on the Bemidji State athletic programs, tickets or schedules, visit BSUBeavers.com, follow the Beavers on Twitter (@BSUBeavers), or like them on Facebook (facebook.com/BSUBeavers).
Nestled in Northern Minnesota’s wooded region and located on the shore of Lake Bemidji, Bemidji State University sponsors 15 varsity athletic programs with NCAA Division I men’s and women’s hockey membership in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, while its 13 NCAA Division II programs hold membership in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC).