BEMDIJ, Minn. -- The Bemidji State University men's hockey team packs its bags for Bowling Green, Ohio this weekend as the team embarks on the final series of the 2013-14 regular season with its eye on the Western Collegiate Hockey Association Playoffs.
Stuck in seventh place in the league standings with a record of 10-17-7 overall and 10-12-4 mark in WCHA play, the Beavers need success versus the Falcons if they want to extend their season.
The series marks the Beavers' first trip to BGSU Ice Arena and just the second series versus the Falcons in the history of the program. BSU sweep a nonconference series between the teams Dec. 30-31, 2001 at Sanford Center, 4-1 and 2-1.
The two-game WCHA series will get underway at 6:07 p.m. (CT) Friday, with the regular season finale set for a 6:07 p.m. (CT) opening face off Saturday.
Bemidji State Notables:
• The Bemidji State men’s hockey team split a WCHA series with University of Alabama-Huntsville Feb. 28-March 1. After a 2-1 loss to open the series, BSU bounced back to take the second game 4-1. BSU moves to 10-17-7 overall and 10-12-4 in conference play to settle into seventh place in the WCHA standings with two games to go.
• Prior to Friday, BSU’s last loss to the Chargers came Jan. 8, 2011 (4-3). The last time UAH got the best of the Beavers on their home ice was Feb. 17, 2007 (4-3)--snapping a string of 11 consecutive BSU wins versus UAH at home.
• In his fourth game, sophomore newcomer John Parker netted his first goal as a Beaver Friday and a posted an assist Saturday. A transfer from Maine, he recorded eight points (4g-4a) for the Black Bears in 2011-12.
• BSU’s seven ties this season leave it just one shy of a program record eight draws set in 2002-03.
• BSU is tied with Michigan State and Mercyhurst for the national lead in ties this season (7) and only Denver (12), Bowling Green (11) and Michigan Tech (10) have played in more OT games this season than BSU’s nine.
• When the Beavers’ opponents score more than one goal this season, BSU has just one win (1-17-7). BSU is allowing 2.85 goals per game in 2013-14.
• Including his game-winning goal Feb. 15, Markus Gerbrandt leads all BSU players with 12 points (6g-6a) in Saturday games and is tied with Radoslav Illo for a team-best six goals scored on Saturday this season.
• BSU out shot UAH 41-28 Friday and 48-23 Saturday. BSU is 6-4-0 when out shooting its opponents this season.
• BSU’s 41-shot performance Friday and season-high 48 shots Saturday marked the second and third times BSU has eclipsed the 40 shot plateau this season and just the ninth and 10th time in 34 games it has surpassed 30 shots on goal. BSU is now 4-4-2 when getting more than 30 shots on net and 2-1-0 with over 40.
• After Saturday’s win, Jesse Wilkins is 2-1-1 and owns a .944 save percentage and has allowed just 1.73 goals per Saturday appearance in 2013-14.
• Cory Ward leads BSU with a career-best 26 points (18g-8a) this season. His team-leading 18 goals stand as BSU’s top single-season goal scoring output by a sophomore at the Division I level (since 1999-2000) and is the most by any BSU player since Jordan George netted 19 in 2011-12.
• BSU has snuffed out 129-of-148 (.872) opponent man advantage opportunities this season to sit fourth in the nation, while it ranks second in the WCHA killing 98-of-113 (.867) in league opponent power-play opportunities.
• BSU penalty-killing unit is 37-of-41 when Jesse Wilkins is in net (.902).
• BSU was 1-for-4 on the power-play last weekend and is 22-of-134 (.164) on the season, which includes a 18-of-113 clip (.159) in WCHA play to sit ninth in the league.
• Jeff Jubinville netted a power-play goal at the 14:51 mark of the first period Saturday snapping a streak of five games and 19 opportunities without goal on the man advantage—BSU’s longest dry spell on the power play this season.
• Jeff Jubinville recorded the fourth two-goal game of his career and the first three-point night of his career Saturday with two goals and an assist in the Beavers’ 4-1 win.
• With a goal and an assist Saturday, Graeme McCormack logged the second multi-point game of his career.
• This season Phil Marinaccio has logged all 10 (5g-5a) of his total points in WCHA contests.
• Cory Ward has scored 20 (13g-7a) of his 26 (18g-8a) points in league play to lead BSU and rank 16 in WCHA scoring.
• Cory Ward’s 13 goals in WCHA play tie him for third among league counterparts, Markus Gerbrandt is eighth with 11.
• Matt Prapavessis has logged 5g-12a in 26 WCHA games to sit tied for third among league blueliners in scoring.
• The Beavers carry an all-time lead of 2-0-0 versus Bowling Green in a series that began Dec. 30-31, 2011. BSU has never played in the BGSU Ice Arena.
• Radoslav Illo leads all BSU player versus Bowling Green. The senior logged a goal and an asset, including a helper on the game-winning goal in the series finale, versus the Falcons in the 2011 series.
• This seasons no player has had more success on the road than Markus Gerbrandt. The sophomore forward has scored 15 (10g-5a) of his 22 points (13g-9a) on the road this season including a team-high 10 goals.
• BSU is 5-7-3 on the road this season, including a 5-5-2 in WCHA road games.