|February 14, 2015||1st||2nd||3rd||Final|
|2||03:37||BSU||O'Connor, Charlie (Bauman, Kyle , Pedan, Ruslan)|
|2||05:13||BSU||Brewer, Philip (Bauman, Kyle )|
|2||09:35||BSU||Harms, Brendan (O'Connor, Charlie )|
|3||14:11||BSU||Ward, Cory (McCormack, Graeme )|
|Shots on Goal||21||37|
MARQUETTE, Mich. (Barry Events Center) -- Charlie O'Connor (1g-1a) and Kyle Bauman (2a) each chipped in two points, while Michael Bitzer turned aside a career-high 36 shots as the Beamidji State University men’s hockey team used a 5-1 victory Saturday to complete a road series sweep at Northern Michigan University.
After a scoreless first period, the BSU offense opened a three-goal lead during the first 10 minutes of the second period. O'Connor, Philip Brewer and Brendan Harms posted goals on BSU's first four shots of the frame.
Trailing 3-0 to open the third, Northern Michigan's John Siemer found the back of the net midway (9:46) through the period to trim the BSU lead to two goals. Just over four minutes later (14:11), Cory Ward netted his eight goal of the season with an assist from Graeme McCormack. John Parker would add an unassisted tally at the 18:08 mark of the third to bring the score to its final resting place.
The Beavers, now 12-14-4 overall and 8-10-4 in WCHA play, returns from Michigan's Upper Peninsula to Sanford Center to host University of Alaska-Anchorage Jan. 20 and 21 as a part of Bemidji State's B-Club Athletic Hall of Fame Weekend. Opening face-off Friday is set or 7:37 p.m. with a 7:07 p.m. start for Saturday's series finale.
Nestled in Northern Minnesota’s wooded region and located on the shore of Lake Bemidji, Bemidji State University sponsors 15 varsity athletic programs with NCAA Division I men’s and women’s hockey membership in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, while its 13 NCAA Division II programs hold membership in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC).
Bemidji State notes:
- Bitzer makes a career-high 36 saves to pick up his 10th win of the season. He becomes the first BSU goaltender to post 10 or more wins in a season since Dan Bakala recorded 11 in 2011-12.
- Bitzer is the first rookie goaltender and BSU to record 10 victories since Matt Clime posted 11 as a freshman in 2004-05.
- Michael Bitzer is 3-0-1 when facing NMU. He has allowed just three goals in 245 minutes for a 0.98 goals against average and has stopped 97 of 101 shots faced for a .960 save percentage.
- Charlie O’Connor recorded his 10th goal of the season—extending his single-season career-high total. He leads BSU.
- With a goal and an assist in the game, O’Connor recorded his third multi-point game of 2014-15.
- Kyle Bauman added two assista for his fourth multi-point game of 2014-15. He is tied with Matt Prapavesis for the team’s lead.
- BSU picks up its first road series sweep of the season and its first back-to-back road victories since Jan. 10 and 11, 2014 at Lake Superior State.
- Senior Philip Brewer has collected four points in four games versus NMU this season, which includes the only two game-winning goals of his 98-game BSU career.
- Bemidji State remains unbeaten at Barry Events Center (3-0-1).
- BSU’s penalty-kill unit held NMU in check snuffing out all four of its man advantage opportunities. BSU has now killed 34 of its opponent’s last 36 power-play chances (.944).
- BSU surrendered its last power-play goal in the second period of its Jan. 24 game versus No. 1 Minnesota State.
- BSU is now 2-2-2 on Olympic ice this season. Before a sweep this weekend, BSU dropped a pair of games at Minnesota’s Mariucci Arena and settled for back-to-back ties at Alaska-Anchorage’s Sullivan Arena.
- BSU now leads NMU in the all-time series 5-3-2, in a rivalry that got its start in 2009.
- This season BSU is 3-0-1 versus the Wildcats.
- Following a 5-1 victory, BSU is now
- BSU is 11-4-1 this season when scoring first.