|February 27, 2015||1st||2nd||3rd||Final|
|1||16:55||BSU||Ward, Cory (O'Connor, Charlie )|
|2||15:33||BSU||Brewer, Philip (Parker, John , Arentz, Nate)|
|3||16:45||FSU||Tyler Andrew (Jared VanWormer , Simon Denis)|
|Shots on Goal||24||36|
BIG RAPIDS, Mich. (Ewigleben Ice Arena) – Michael Bitzer stopped 35 shots and Philip Brewer posted his third game-winning goal of the season to lead the Bemidji State men's hockey team to a 2-1 victory at Ferris State Friday.
BSU, which opened the weekend tied with Northern Michigan for fourth place in the WCHA standings and the right to host a first round home playoff series, gained a win to keep pace with the Wildcats with three games remaining in the 2014-15 regular season.
Bemidji State got on the scoreboard before time would run out of the first period, capitalizing on a turnover by the Bulldogs. At the 16:55 mark, Cory Ward picked up a loose puck in front of C.J. Motte and the FSU goal and quickly deposited his ninth goal of the season.
Despite being outshot 13-4 and going 0-1 on the power play in the second frame, the Beavers took a 2-0 lead into the dressing room after 40 minutes of play. After a pass from Nate Arentz started a BSU 2-on-1 late in the second, John Parker set up Phil Brewer’s sixth goal of the season with a nifty pass at the 15:33 mark.
The Bulldogs again set the pace for long stretches of the third period. FSU outshot BSU 15-7 in the stanza and would get an even-strength goal off the stick of Tyler Andrew to reel the Beavers to within a goal with just 3:15 left on the clock.
With momentum in it’s favor and 60 seconds to go, FSU pulled Motte for an extra attacker. The tactic would produce several shots on goal, but Bitzer and the Beavers would hold on for their 15th victory of the season.
BSU (15-14-4; 11-10-4 WCHA) wraps up its final road series of the 2014-15 regular season tomorrow with its second game at Ferris State. The Beavers and Bulldogs will get the contest underway at 6:07 p.m. CST from Ewigleben Ice Arena.
Bemidji State notables:
• The sixth goal of the year for Philip Brewer increases his career-high, while Arentz pots a point for the second consecutive game after going 12 straight without a single point.
• BSU is 6-10-0 all-time versus Ferris State dating back to the first meeting Nov. 12, 1999, which includes a 3-6-0 mark versus the Bulldogs in Big Rapids, Mich.
• The Beavers claimed their first win in Big Rapids, Mich. since a 4-3 victory Nov. 19, 2005.
• Gerbrandt, who has 13 points (5g-8a) this season, made his first appearance in line up since Jan. 24 due to a lower body injury.
• The victory is just BSU’s fourth on the road this season, but have now won three straight roadies. The Beavers improve to 4-10-2 on the road in 2014-15.
• The game-winning goal by Philip Brewer marks his third of the season and of his 101-game career.
• BSU is 13-4-1 this season when scoring first.
• BSU is 12-4-4 in its last 20 games (.700) and have moved above .500 on the season for the first time since the team was 1-0-0 Dec. 10.
• Bitzer made 35 saves to pick up his 13th win of the season Friday. He became the first BSU goaltender to post 13 or more wins in a season since Dan Bakala recorded 14 in 2010-11.
• The Beavers’ power-play unit was held without a goal in three opportunities. BSU is now 17-of-125 (.136) overall and 12-for-94 (.128) in WCHA play to rank seventh in the league.
• Friday night’s 2-1 victory moved BSU to 5-14-3 when scoring three or fewer goals. On the flip side, the Beavers are 10-0-1 when netting four or more.
• The Beavers will attempt to gain their fifth series sweep of the season tomorrow and third straight.