|February 28, 2015||1st||2nd||3rd||OT||Final|
|2||06:20||BSU||Bauman, Kyle (Fitzgerald, Leo , Fitzgerald, Gerry)|
|3||08:23||FSU||Justin Buzzeo (Chad McDonald , Simon Denis)|
|Shots on Goal||24||42|
BIG RAPIDS, Mich. (Ewigleben Ice Arena) – Michael Bitzer posted a career-high 41 saves and fellow freshman Kyle Bauman recorded a goal to help the Bemidji State University men's hockey team wrap up its WCHA series at Ferris State University with a 1-1 tie.
After a scoreless first period, Bauman put BSU up 1-0 on passes from line mates Leo and Gerry Fitzgerald at the 6:20 mark of the second. Despite being out shot 16-6 in the frame, BSU took the one-goal lead into the third.
The Beavers' lead would hold until the 8:23 mark of the third when Justin Buzzeo scored an even-strength goal to knot the score at 1-1.
Bitzer and the BSU defense would hold off the Bulldogs' rally to get to overtime.
The teams were both scoreless in overtime and settled for the draw. BSU took three points out of Big Rapids, Mich. to win the series and extend its unbeaten streak to six games (5-0-1).
The Beavers, now 15-14-5 overall and 11-10-5 in WCHA play, hold a one-point lead over Northern Michigan University for fourth place in the WCHA standings and are in the driver’s seat for the final home playoff series with just two regular season games to go.
Bemidji State returns to Bemidji, Minn. and Sanford Center March 6-7 to host Minnesota State University, Mankato to a pair of league contests to wrap up the regular season. Opening face off Friday is set for 7:37 p.m. with a 7:07 p.m. start slated for Saturday.
Fan purchasing tickets for the series at the Sanford Center Bob Lowth Ford Pickup Window before noon Friday will be eligible for a buy one, get one free deal. Two reserved seats can be purchased for $31 or two tickets in the Sanford Center’s elite club section can be purchased for $51.
Bemidji State notables:
• BSU is 6-10-1 all-time versus Ferris State dating back to the first meeting Nov. 12, 1999, which includes a 3-6-1 mark versus the Bulldogs in Big Rapids, Mich.
• The Beavers move to 4-10-3 on the road in 2014-15.
• Kyle Bauman netted his eighth goal of the season. He leads all BSU rookies in goals scored and sits tied for fourth on the team.
• Since Jan. 1, Bauman has a team-best 12 points (8g-4a) in 15 games played.
• BSU is 13-4-2 this season when scoring first.
• BSU is 12-4-5 in its last 21 games and are above .500 on the season for the first time since the team was 1-0-0 Dec. 10.
• Bitzer made a career-high 41 saves to move to 13-9-3 on the season.
• Bitzer finished the series 1-0-1 in 125:00 between the pipes stopping 76-of-78 shots faced for a .974 save percentage and 0.96 goals against average.
• The Beavers’ power-play unit was held without a goal in six opportunities and failed to score on any of its nine power-play chances in the series. BSU is now 17-of-131 (.130) overall and 12-for-100 (.120) in WCHA play to rank seventh in the league.
• BSU remains unbeaten in overtime this season (1-0-5).