BEMIDJI, Minn. – The Bemidji State University softball team hosts its first games at the BSU Softball Field of 2016 Tuesday when they face the University of Mary for a Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference doubleheader. First pitch for game one will be at 2 p.m. and game two is scheduled to begin at 4 p.m.
Beavers go 1-2 to open conference play
BSU opened conference play last weekend in Fayette, Iowa by facing No. 15 Winona State University and Upper Iowa University, March 25-26.
The Beavers jumped to a quick start in league play by upsetting the Warriors in game one 6-3 but had their second meeting cancelled due to weather. Junior Jessica Yost went all seven innings and struck out 15 while also going 2-for-3 at the plate with a home run and two RBI.
Bemidji State then faced off with Upper Iowa the following day for a doubleheader against the Peacocks. Despite out-hitting the Peacocks 13-8 in the series, Upper Iowa was able sweep the Beavers in the series. BSU saw little run support in the series as UIU out-scored the Beavers 7-3.
Bemidji State Notes
- Bemidji State tied last seasons mark of 18 wins in their win against No. 15 Winona State Friday, marking the highest wins total since the Beavers won 19 in 1999.
- The Beavers are just seven wins shy of tying a program record of 25 set in 1998. BSU has 26 games remaining on its 2016 schedule.
- The Beavers currently sit 11th in the NSIC Standings despite the third best winning percentage in the conference at .692 (18-8). BSU is just 1-2 in conference play.
- Bemidji State’s pitching staff has been exceptional early on this season and are ranked third in the league with a team ERA of 2.16.
- BSU is also a top tier team at the plate and rank sixth with a .307 batting average.
- The Beavers are led at the plate by freshman Kelsey McAllister who is fourth in the NSIC with a .443 batting average. She leads the league in slugging percentage (.934) and is tied for second in home runs (7) and tied for fourth in doubles (9).
- Lyndsey Peterson and Jessica Yost have also been key contributors to the Beavers’ offense.
- Peterson leads the team and is eighth in the NSIC with 23 RBI and has totaled four home runs this season.
- Yost sports the fourth-best slugging percentage (.705) in the NSIC and is tied with Peterson with six home runs on the season.
- Yost is also dominant in the circle and boasts the second-best ERA (1.30) in the conference. She is also second in wins (12), strikeouts (156) and is the conference leader in opposing batting average (.147).
Scouting the Marauders
The Marauders enter Tuesday’s action tied for 13th in the NSIC standings and own a 6-16 record. U-Mary is still looking for their first win in conference play and are 0-4. U-Mary hosted its first games of the season last weekend but were swept Wayne State College (Neb.) and fell to Augustana University in one game.
U-Mary is led at the plate by Taylor Mendez who sports the league’s 11th best batting average at .411 and leads the team with five home runs and 15 RBI. MeLanie Rodriguez had made the most appearances in the circle having pitched 56.2 innings. She is 3-8 on the season and has an ERA of 4.82 and 22 strikeouts.
For more information on the Bemidji State University softball program, follow the Beavers on Twitter (@Beaver_Softball or @BSUBeavers) or like them on Facebook (facebook.com/BSUBeavers).
Nestled in Northern Minnesota’s wooded region and located on the shore of Lake Bemidji, Bemidji State University sponsors 15 varsity athletic programs with NCAA Division I men’s and women’s hockey membership in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, while its 13 NCAA Division II programs hold membership in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC).