BEMIDJI, Minn. – The Bemidji State University softball team concludes its 2016 regular season this week with three Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference series against Minot State University, Northern State University and Minnesota State University, Moorhead.
The Beavers (27-15, 10-9 NSIC) begin the week by hosting their final home series Wednesday, April 20 with the Beavers of Minot State. Bemidji State will then travel to Aberdeen, S.D., and face the Wolves before concluding the regular season in Moorhead, Minn., against the Dragons.
Bemidji State Notes
- The Beavers set a new program record with their 26th and 27th wins of the season in a sweep of Southwest Minnesota State on April 17.
- The Beavers surpass the previous school record of 25 set during the 1998 season.
- BSU is currently on their longest winning streak of the season at six games and went 6-0 during the week.
- They began the week with a pair of sweeps against St. Cloud State and Minnesota Crookston April 13 and 14 followed with a record setting sweep of the Mustangs.
- Senior Lyndsey Peterson became the programs career hits leader with her 156th career hit Sunday, April 17 against SMSU and also is the school's career doubles and RBI leader.
- Peterson is one of the most effective hitters ever at BSU and set a season record with her 10th home run against the Huskies.
- Junior pitcher Jessica Yost has also had a tremendous season this year and earned her 200th strikeout against SCSU, the most ever in BSU softball history. She also picked up her 15th win of the season against SMSU, setting a school record.
- During the week the Beavers were led by freshman Jessica Burlingame who hit .455 in 22 at bats. She led BSU with 10 hits including two doubles and the game-winning home run against St. Cloud State. She had four RBI during the week and led the team in slugging percentage (.682) and on-base percentage (.478).
- Jenna Massingill was dominant during the week and in four appearances, she earned four wins for a flawless record. She allowed just 2 runs in 23 innings and had a 0.61 ERA. She led the Beavers with 35 strikeouts and didn't surrender a walk all week.
- The Beavers currently stand eighth in the NSIC standings with a 10-9 record in conference play.
- The top 10 teams in the final NSIC standings secure a position in the NSIC Tournament. BSU hasn’t made the tournament since 2008.
For more information on the Bemidji State University softball program, follow the Beavers on Twitter (@Beaver_Softball or @BSUBeavers) or like them on Facebook (facebook.com/BSUBeavers).
Nestled in Northern Minnesota’s wooded region and located on the shore of Lake Bemidji, Bemidji State University sponsors 15 varsity athletic programs with NCAA Division I men’s and women’s hockey membership in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, while its 13 NCAA Division II programs hold membership in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC).