BEMIDJI, Minn. – The Bemidji State University softball team gets the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference season underway this weekend by traveling to Aberdeen, S.D., to face Northern State University and Minnesota State University, Moorhead. The Beavers (11-11, 0-0 NSIC) face the Wolves (10-10, 0-0 NSIC) and Dragons (7-11, 0-0 NSIC) at the Presentation College Dome after poor field conditions forced the teams to meet indoors.
Scouting the Wolves
The Beavers and Wolves play a doubleheader slated for 6:30 p.m. and 8:30 p.m. at the Presentation College Dome Friday, March 30 to open conference play. Northern State went 10-10 in non-conference play and is hitting .321 as a team while its pitching staff holds a 4.90 ERA through 126.2 innings.
Kennady Thompson leads the team in hitting by batting .424 on the year while 12 Wolves have posted a .300 or better average. Jamie Fisher leads the Wolves with a 6-5 record in the circle and has a 2.63 ERA in 14 appearances.
Scouting the Dragons
The Beavers and Dragons will play a doubleheader Saturday, March 31 beginning at 1 and 3 p.m. from the Presentation College Dome in Aberdeen, S.D. MSU-Moorhead went 7-11 in non-conference play and is hitting .293 as a team while its pitching staff holds a 6.00 team ERA.
Sophomore outfielder Madison Paige leads MSUM with a .411 average and 13 RBI. Freshman pitcher Becky Berth is hitting .348 with two doubles, a triple and four RBI. Becky Berth leads the team with a 6-4 record in the circle and has posted a 4.13 ERA in 69.1 innings with 38 strikeouts.
Bemidji State Notes
- The Beavers went 11-11 during the non-conference portion of its season and are batting .265 as a team while holding a 2.78 team ERA in the circle.
- Junior Makayla Pagel leads the team by batting .384 at the plate while Jessica Burlingame (.370), Brooke Phillips (.328) and Alexandra Ripka (.320) are each batting over .300.
- Pagel also leads the team with a .603 slugging percentage and leads the team with four homeruns and 16 RBI.
- Freshman Stephi Dullum leads BSU with 12 appearances in the circle and has posted a 6-5 record with a 2.31 ERA and 47 strikeouts.
- Sophomore Megan Pehrson follows with 10 appearances including three starts and is 2-0 with a 3.50 ERA.
For more information on the Bemidji State softball program, follow the Beavers on Twitter (@BSUBeaversSB), like them on Facebook (facebook.com/BSUBeavers) or sign up for the TXTUpdates from BSUBeavers.com text-messaging system through the "Multimedia" pull down menu on the main page of BSUBeavers.com.
Nestled in Northern Minnesota’s wooded region and located on the shore of Lake Bemidji, Bemidji State University sponsors 15 varsity athletic programs with NCAA Division I men’s and women’s hockey membership in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, while its 13 NCAA Division II programs hold membership in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC).