BEMIDJI, Minn. -- The Bemidji State University women's basketball team readies for its first game action while hosting Lakehead University in two exhibition games at 7:30 p.m. Saturday and at 1 p.m. Sunday at BSU Gymnasium.
- Bemidji State leads the all-time series record 3-1.
- The Beavers and Thunderwolves have met three times since 2011 with BSU winning all three games.
- The most recent game ended as a 79-67 win for Bemidji State Nov. 3, 2012 at BSU Gymnasium.
- Bemidji State and Lakehead first met in 1984, a 79-63 loss for the Beavers.
- The Beavers are coming off a 6-22 overall record in 2014-15 and a 2-12 conference mark to finish eighth in the divisional standings.
- Bemidji State was selected to finish eighth in the NSIC North and 15th overall in the NSIC Preseason Coaches Poll.
- Head Coach Chelsea DeVille begins her first season with Bemidji State alongside first year assistant Sam Sikkink.
- The Beavers return six starters from 2014-15 and welcome in five newcomers.
- Seven returning Beavers played in at least 20 games last season.
- Center Sarah Durand, guard Aimee Pelzer and center Sierra Senske were selected as 2015-16 team captains.
- Senske was selected as the 2014-15 NSIC Freshman of the Year.
- Senske led the Beavers in scoring (14.3 ppg), field goal percentage (.471), rebounds (5.8 rpg), free throws made (134) and blocks (22).
- Pelzer ranked second on the team in scoring (10.8 ppg) and rebounds (4.9 rpg) while leading in steals (41).
- The Zerrs continue to keep Bemidji State women’s basketball in the family as freshman Haley Zerr joins her sister Hanna, a junior, this season. Their mother, Kim (Babula), was enshrined into the BSU Athletic Hall of Fame as a member of the 1986-87 women’s basketball team.
- The Thunderwolves enter BSU Gymnasium 6-2 in its season while winning five in a row.
- Lakehead went 3-0 at the University of Manitoba Tournament while defeating Winnipeg (61-55), Manitoba (78-48) and Algoma (74-39).
- Over the five-game win streak, Gillian Lavoie led the team in scoring with 9.8 points per game while Bridget O’Reilly averaged nine points per game and Cassandra Soulias averaged 8.6 per game.
- Lakehead enters Ontario University Athletics play against Guelph Nov. 6-7 in Thunder Bay, Ontario following the two exhibitions.
- The Thunderwolves are coached by Jon Kreiner, who is in his 13th season with the program.
For more information on the Bemidji State athletic programs, tickets or schedules, visit BSUBeavers.com, follow the Beavers on Twitter (@BSUBeavers), like them on Facebook (facebook.com/BSUBeavers) or sign up for the TXTUpdates from BSUBeavers.com text-messaging system through the "Multimedia" pull down menu on the main page of BSUBeavers.com.
Nestled in Northern Minnesota’s wooded region and located on the shore of Lake Bemidji, Bemidji State University sponsors 15 varsity athletic programs with NCAA Division I men’s and women’s hockey membership in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, while its 13 NCAA Division II programs hold membership in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC).