BEMIDJI, Minn. -- An old rivalry is renewed Thursday, Nov. 3 as the Bemidji State University women’s basketball team plays North Dakota State University in a season-opening exhibition. The Beavers and Bison tip-off at 7 p.m. from Scheels Center in Fargo, N.D.
- The Beavers and Bison have met 41 times since 1968, led by NDSU with a 24-17 series record. The two teams have met just three times over the past 13 seasons.
- The last two meetings between BSU and NDSU have come as exhibitions, including a 60-51 win by the Beavers on Nov. 4, 2006. The Bison won the most recent matchup, Nov. 7, 2014, 100-47.
Fast Break Bemidji State
- Bemidji State returns six student-athletes who rotated in the starting lineup last season, while returning nine letterwinners in total. Seven newcomers join the Beavers, including three junior transfers and four true freshmen.
- Bemidji State finished the 2015-16 season with a 7-20 record overall and 3-19 in Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference action.
- Head Coach Chelsea DeVille begins her second season at the helm while improving BSU’s win total during year one. DeVille brought on first-year assistant coach Jamie Majerowicz while assistant coach Clint Neumann returns for his second season.
- Senior guards Allison Cordes and Aimee Pelzer, and junior center Sierra Senske were selected as the 2016-17 team captains.
- Cordes started 10 of 27 games played in last season and averaged 24.4 minutes per game. She ranked third on the team with 65 assists and 23 steals while adding 4.1 points per game.
- Pelzer led the Beavers in several categories including scoring (13.1 ppg), points (353), 3-point percentage (.399), 3-pointers made (63), rebounds (5.7 rpg), assists (93), steals (46) and blocks (20). She started all 27 games last season and 54 games in her career, second only to senior guard Hanna Zerr with 80 starts in 81 games.
- Senske started all 27 games and led the team in field goal percentage (.459). She tied the team lead in rebounds (5.7 rpg) and ranked third in scoring (12.5 ppg). Senske was chosen as the NSIC Freshman of the Year following the 2014-15 season.
- All three captains, along with senior guard Tatum Sheley, were named to the 2015-16 NSIC All-Academic Team.
- The Beavers finished 2015-16 ranked third in the NSIC in 3-point shooting, converting 34.5 percent from behind the arc.
Scouting North Dakota State
- North Dakota State begins its 2016-17 campaign with the exhibition versus Bemidji State.
- The Bison return three starters and five letterwinners, while bringing on six newcomers.
- Head Coach Maren Walseth is in her third season with an 18-40 record overall at NDSU. Walseth coached the Bison to a 7-22 record overall last season and helped two student-athletes earn All-Summit League honors.
- Junior Taylor Thunstedt was tabbed honorable mention all-league. She led the Bison in scoring (17.0 ppg), assists (91), 3-point percentage (.392) and 3-pointers made (82). Thunstedt ranked second in field goal percentage (.412), free throw percentage (.792) and steals (44).
- The Bison averaged 64.9 points per game, while allowing 72.9 points. NDSU held a positive rebound margin, recording 36.7 rebounds per game and allowing 35.9 rebounds per game.
For more information on the Bemidji State athletic programs, tickets or schedules, visit BSUBeavers.com, follow the Beavers on Twitter (@BSUBeavers), like them on Facebook (facebook.com/BSUBeavers) or sign up for the TXTUpdates from BSUBeavers.com text-messaging system through the "Multimedia" pull down menu on the main page of BSUBeavers.com.
Nestled in Northern Minnesota’s wooded region and located on the shore of Lake Bemidji, Bemidji State University sponsors 15 varsity athletic programs with NCAA Division I men’s and women’s hockey membership in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, while its 13 NCAA Division II programs hold membership in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC).