BEMIDJI, Minn. -- Bemidji State University women’s basketball wraps up a four-game homestand Jan. 31-Feb. 1 with a Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference interdivisional series against the University of Sioux Falls and Southwest Minnesota State University at BSU Gymnasium. The Beavers first play the Cougars at 5:30 p.m. Friday followed by the Mustangs at 3:30 p.m. Saturday.
vs Sioux Falls
- Sioux Falls leads the all-time series versus Bemidji State, 8-1.
- The Cougars have won seven straight games against the Beavers, including last season’s lone meeting Feb. 1, 2019, 95-47, in Sioux Falls, S.D.
- Junior center Taylor Bray led BSU in scoring with 13 points in 18 minutes of court-time. She added a team-high five rebounds and went 6-of-6 from the free-throw line. Junior guard Sydney Zerr followed Bray with nine points and recorded a career-high four steals.
- The series began Jan. 5, 1986, an 81-79 win by Bemidji State for its only win in the series.
vs Southwest Minn. State
- Southwest Minnesota State leads the all-time series against Bemidji State, 42-34.
- The Mustangs won back-to-back games in the series in 2018 and 2019 for the first time since taking four straight games from 2008-11. SMSU took down BSU, 72-51, Feb. 2, 2019 during its lone meeting of the 2018-19 season.
- Bray led BSU in scoring against SMSU last season with 12 points. She was one rebound shy of a double-double while junior guard Brooklyn Bachmann led the team with 10 boards. Sophomore guard Trinity Myer recorded 10 points while going 2-of-4 from 3-point range and 4-of-4 from the free-throw line.
- The series began in 1978 as SMSU took down BSU, 90-88. The Mustangs won the first two games of the series while the Beavers followed with two straight wins. Both teams then followed with winning streaks of at least seven games in the series.
Fast Break Bemidji State
- Bemidji State was on the short-end of a weekend sweep at home to Minot State University, 72-65, and University of Mary, 76-70, last weekend.
- BSU failed to score over the first six minutes of the game against MiSU but stormed back with 11 straight points and eventually took a game-high six-point lead early in the second quarter. Bemidji State held a one-point, 49-48 lead heading into the fourth quarter but was outscored in the final period, 24-16. Minot State won the rebound margin, 42-29, and shot 53.1 percent from the field, the second-largest percentage allowed by Bemidji State this season.
- The Beavers led by as many as 19 points Saturday against the Marauders, but scored just three points over a seven-minute span in the fourth quarter. During BSU’s point-shortage, UMary scored 20 points to lead by eight points with 17 seconds to play in the game. BSU recorded a season-high 21 assists but lost for the first time this season when shooting above 50 percent from the field.
- Myer led BSU over the weekend with 16.0 points, 5.0 rebounds and 3.0 steals per game, including a career-high four steals. Zerr also set a career-highs versus Minot State with 14 points and four 3-pointers. Sophomore forward Claire Wolhowe set a career-high six assists Saturday versus the Marauders.
- Bemidji State ranks fourth in the NSIC and 22nd nationally in fewest turnovers per game with 13.1. BSU ranks sixth in the NSIC with 36.8 rebounds allowed per game.
- Myer ranks 13th in the NSIC with 13.7 points per game, sixth shooting 46.0percent from the field, fifth with 3.8 assists per game, and tied for 24th with 5.5 rebounds per game. Wolhowe leads the conference and ranks 21st in the nation shooting 44.0 percent from 3-point range.
Scouting Sioux Falls
- Sioux Falls took its third loss of the conference season following a weekend split with an 86-43 win over Upper Iowa University and a 78-76 loss to Winona State University. The Cougars are ranked 11th in the Women’s Basketball Coaches Association Top 25 Poll and led the NSIC South Division standings.
- The Cougars lead the NSIC with 78.0 points per game, .376 3-point field goal percentage and a 1.38 assist-to-turnover ratio.
- Senior guard Kaely Hummel leads the team and ranks fourth in the conference with 18.1 points per game. She also leads the team and ranks behind Wolhowe shooting 41.9 percent from beyond the arc. Graduate student Jacey Huinker ranks second in the league with 8.8 rebounds per game.
Scouting Southwest Minn. State
- Southwest Minnesota State has won four of its last five games, including a weekend split following a 74-58 loss to Winona State and a 76-51 win over Upper Iowa last weekend. SMSU enters the weekend 10-9 overall and 5-9 in the NSIC to rank seventh in the conference division standings.
- The Mustangs lead the conference with a .281 3-point field goal percentage defense and fourth with 39.3 rebounds per game.
- Junior guard Meleah Reinhart leads the team and ranks sixth in the NSIC with 15.6 points per game. Junior center Abuk Akoi ranks leads the league with 2.3 blocks per game and fourth with 8.2 rebounds per game, and is shooting 51.9 percent from the field.
For more information on the Bemidji State athletic programs, tickets or schedules, visit BSUBeavers.com, follow the Beavers on Twitter (@BSUBeavers), like them on Facebook (facebook.com/BSUBeavers) or sign up for the TXTUpdates from BSUBeavers.com text-messaging system through the "Multimedia" pull-down menu on the main page of BSUBeavers.com.
Nestled in Northern Minnesota’s wooded region and located on the shore of Lake Bemidji, Bemidji State University sponsors 15 varsity athletic programs with NCAA Division I men’s and women’s hockey membership in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, while its 13 NCAA Division II programs hold membership in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC).