Erickson and Thurston propel Beaver comeback
Saturday, October 17, 2009

BEMIDJI, Minn. — In a barn-burner of a game, Emily Erickson (R-Fr., Coleraine, Minn.) scored one goal and was the decisive factor in the shootout to give the Bemidji State University women’s hockey team a 3-2 shootout win over Ohio State on Saturday afternoon in the John Glas Fieldhouse.

The game officially counts as a tie as both sides were deadlocked 2-2 at the end of overtime. Both teams were awarded one point for standings in the WCHA, but Bemidji State gets an extra point for the shootout win. BSU improves to 1-4-1 (1-2-1-1 WCHA) on the year while Ohio State is now at 1-2-3 (1-2-1-0 WCHA).

“We were really proud of the way we came back today especially after yesterday’s game,” said head coach Steve Sertich. “We played Beaver hockey today, even when we were down 2-0 the girls knew they could come back and they did.”

Alana McElhinney (So., Calgary, Alberta) started in net for the Beavers stopping 30 shots. The two WCHA points from the shootout win were her first of her career.

Ohio State scored two quick goals in the second period to put the Buckeyes up 2-0 halfway through the game. However, Bemidji State didn’t give up and Erickson scored her first collegiate goal to end the second period 2-1. Erickson stole the puck from an Ohio State player in the neutral zone forcing play back into the Ohio State zone. Erickson didn’t falter as she put the puck top bunk over the OSU goalie’s glove.

With less than a minute left in the game McElhinney skated to the bench for an extra attacker. With the six on five play resulting, MacKenzie Thurston (Fr., Ottawa, Ontario) scored with 46 seconds left to tie the game at 2-2. The goal was her first of her collegiate career. Erika Wheelhouse (Fr., Crookston, Minn.) picked up her first-collegiate assist on the goal.

While in overtime Ohio State’s leading scorer Natalie Spooner drew a penalty with less than two minutes left. That would come back to help the Beavers as Spooner was unable to participate in the shootout because her penalty had not expired by the end of the overtime period.

In the shootout Ohio State’s Kim Theut went first scoring for the Buckeyes. BSU’s Erin Cody (Jr., Roseville, Minn.) would respond with her own shootout-goal to tie it back at 1-1. Both Ohio State’s second and third shooters would fail to score along with BSU’s second shooter, Erin Johnson (Jr., Farmington, Minn.), and third shooter, Annie Bauerfeld (Jr., Woodbury, Minn.).

With the shootout in sudden death, Ohio State’s Laura McIntosh took the puck down dekeing out McElhinney. Fortunately for the Beavers, McIntosh’s shot hit the left pipe and fell wide.

With a goal to win the shootout, Erickson went next for the Beavers. She went down dekeing to the right and put the puck past the OSU’s tender Chelsea Knapp for a second time that night to give the Beavers the shootout victory.

The Beavers will be on the road next weekend as they travel out to Boston taking on Northeastern on Friday at 6 p.m. and again on Saturday at 2 p.m.