BEMIDJI, Minn. (Chet Anderson Stadium) -- After more than 105 minutes of scoreless play, junior midfielder Christine Szurek found a rebound slipped it past the Missouri Western State University goalkeeper to lift the Bemidji State University soccer team to a 1-0 victory, Friday afternoon at Chet Anderson Stadium.
Freshman goalkeeper Anna Fobbe collected five saves to post her second consecutive shutout and third collegiate save.
The Beavers, which improved 3-0-0 on the season, are back in action Sunday when they host Northwest Missouri State University to wrap up the 2015 nonconference slate with the team's annual Cheryl Smyth Memorial/Cancer Awareness game. Opening kick is scheduled for noon.
Bemidji State soccer notes:
- Szurek’s goal is her first of the season and the sixth of her career.
- Szurek now has four career game-winning goals.
- Fobbe’s shutout is the second of her collegiate career, while it is her third win of the season.
- Bemidji State is now 2-1-0 all-time versus Northern Michigan, and has won the last two meetings versus the Griffons.
- The 106-minute game stands as BSU’s first overtime match of the season and the longest contest since BSU tied Southwest Minnesota State University, Oct. 11, 2014.
- 2015 BSU Soccer Schedule
- Follow the Beavers on social media: We are on Twitter / Facebook
- Get TXTUpdates on Bemidji State soccer or any BSU athletic program deliver directly to you favorite mobile device.
- Download the BSU Soccer eCalendar
Nestled in Northern Minnesota’s wooded region and located on the shore of Lake Bemidji, Bemidji State University sponsors 15 varsity athletic programs with NCAA Division I men’s and women’s hockey membership in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, while its 13 NCAA Division II programs hold membership in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC).