BEMIDJI, Minn. -- After a weekend away, the Bemidji State women’s soccer team returns to Chet Anderson Stadium to host a pair of NSIC matches this weekend. The Beavers will begin the weekend with Southwest Minnesota State 1 p.m. Saturday and will follow that with a special senior day match versus Sioux Falls at 1 p.m. Sunday.
Bemidji State is 5-2-0 at home this year with three home games remaining they look to build off that record against the Mustangs and Cougars this weekend.
On Sunday the Beavers will honor their four seniors with a special ceremony on senior day. The senior class consists of: Christine Szurek, Bayley Ertl, Sarah Stram and Claire White. As a class these seniors have been a part of 42 wins, including 12 in 2013 and have made it to the NSIC Tournament in their first three years.
BSU women’s soccer team split a pair of conferences matches this last weekend. BSU began the road trip with a 2-1 loss against Augustana University on Saturday. The lone goal for the beavers came from senior forward Bayley Ertl, it was her team leading 9th goal on the season, she was assisted by her fellow strikers Raquel Thelen (her 10th assist) and Sarah Stram (her 9th assist). Goalie Anna Fobbe turned away 5 of the 7 shots she faced, she took the loss and is now 5-3 on the season.
On Sunday the Beavers turned it around with a 3-0 victory over Wayne State College. Junior Raquel Thelen opened up the scoring with an unassisted goal in the 1st half, it was her 4th goal on the year. In the second half sophomore Allie Erickson put Bemidji up by two when she scored her 3rd goal on the year, she was assisted by Raquel Thelen (her 11th assist) and by Sarah Stram (her 10th assist). Towards the very end of the game freshman Emma Brechlin netted her 2nd goal of the year, she was assisted by Bayley Ertl it was her 4th assist of the season. Goal keeper Catherine Arneson turned away 7 shots and recorded her 2nd shutout of the season and improved her record to 5-1 on the year.
- Picking up the 3-0 win Sunday, Bemidji State has secured at least 10 wins in five of the last six seasons.
- BSU has shut out its opponents in three of its last four matches and has allowed only two goals in its last 342:39.
- BSU junior Raquel Thelen posted a goal and two assists on the road trip. Her assist Sunday added to her career-single-season high of 11 and matched Jamie Ford (2010-11) for most assists in a season at BSU since 2002.
- Sarah Stram added two assists to bring her total to a career-high 10 in 2016.
- BSU continues to play even or with a lead this season. Despite trailing for 72 minutes Oct. 2, BSU has trailed for just 81:07 this season.
- The Beavers have won the last five matches Catherine Arenson she has appeared in, while she has allowed just two goals in her last 408:59.
- the Beavers are 4 wins away from tieing the school record for 14 wins set in 2010.
Southwest Minnesota State match up information:
- SMSU is 5-8-1 overall, 4-6-1 NSIC, and 2-3-0 on the road this season.
- Bemidji State is 6-11-4 all-time versus Southwest Minnesota State.
- BSU is 5-6 all-time when playing SMSU at home.
- Last time the Beavers played the Mustangs, BSU won 6-2 on 10/10/15.
- 2016 Southwest Minnesota State Soccer Stats.
- 2016 Southwest Minnesota State Soccer Schedule.
Sioux Falls match up information:
- USF is 3-9-2 overall, 3-7-1 NSIC, and 2-2-0 on the road this season.
- The BSU is 4-0-0 all-time against Sioux Falls
- BSU is 2-0 when hosting USF.
- The Beavers won their last match with the Cougars, 7-1 on 10/11/15.
- 2016 Sioux Falls Soccer Stats.
- 2016 Sioux Falls Soccer Schedule.
Bemidji State soccer information:
- 2016 BSU Soccer Stats.
- 2016 BSU Soccer Schedule.
- Live Stats versus SMSU
- Live Stats versus USF
- Watch the live web stream
- Follow the Beavers on social media: We are on Twitter / Facebook
- Get TXTUpdates on Bemidji State soccer or any BSU athletic program deliver directly to you favorite mobile device.
Nestled in Northern Minnesota’s wooded region and located on the shore of Lake Bemidji, Bemidji State University sponsors 15 varsity athletic programs with NCAA Division I men’s and women’s hockey membership in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, while its 13 NCAA Division II programs hold membership in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC).