BEMIDJI, Minn. -- The Bemidji State University Soccer team lifts the lid on its 2018 home season with a pair of match ups at Chet Anderson Stadium this week. The Beavers get Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference play underway Wednesday with a 7:30 p.m. match versus the University of Minnesota Crookston (0-3-0) and return to the Chet at 3 p.m. Friday for a non-conference matinee with Michigan Tech (1-0-1).
The Beavers open the week holding down the No. 22 spot in the United Soccer Coaches national poll and are No. 3 in the Central Region.
Last week BSU earned a 1-0 victory over Oklahoma Baptist University in Minot, N.D. to open the 2018 season. The Beavers and Bison were locked in a scoreless tie until Dani Nelson made good on a free kick from 28 yards out in the 89th minute of play. Anna Fobbe turned aside three shots to collect her first win of the season by way of a shut out.
BSU is coming off a 2017 campaign during which it compiled an overall record of 15-1-4 and finished second in the NSIC standings owning a 12-0-3 mark in league play. At the conclusion of the regular season, BSU made its ninth consecutive appearance in the NSIC Tournament and earned a berth into the NCAA Tournament for the first time in program history.
Under Jim Stone, who is in his 17th season at BSU, the beavers return a roster of 19 including seniors Rachael Norton (20 GP, 14G, 10A, 6GWG, 38 pts), the 2017 NSIC Offensive Player of the Year and all-region selection, and Anna Fobbe, a goalkeeper with a with a career 21-10-2 record to go with 11 shutouts. In addition, reigning NSIC Freshman of the Year, Allyson Smith (20 GP, 9 G, 9 A, 27 pts, 3 GWG) and all-region midfielder Nelson (19 GP, 6G, 4A, 16 pts) are back for 2018, while eight of the team’s top 10 scoring threats are back.
Minnesota Crookston match up information:
- BSU is 22-5-1 all-time against Minnesota Crookston.
- BSU has not lost to Minnesota Crookston since 2002
- BSU earned a victory during its last meeting with Golden Eagles, 3-0 in Crookston, Minn., September 5, 2017
- 2018 UMC Soccer Stats
- 2018 UMC Soccer Schedule
Michigan Tech match up information:
- BSU is 3-2 all-time versus the Huskies.
- BSU’s last win over MTU in Bemidji came as a 3-2 OT victory, Sept. 2, 2012. Tiffany VanHaaften scored the GWG in the 95th minute of play
- BSU won its last meeting with MTU, 1-0 in Houghton, Mich.
- 2018 MTU Soccer Stats
- 2018 MTU Soccer Schedule
Bemidji State soccer information:
- 2018 BSU Soccer Stats
- 2018 BSU Soccer Schedule
- Live Stats versus UMC
- Live Stats versus Michigan Tech
- Watch the live web stream
- Follow the Beavers on social media: We are on Twitter / Facebook
- Get TXTUpdates on Bemidji State soccer or any BSU athletic program deliver directly to you favorite mobile device.
- Download the BSU Soccer eCalendar
Nestled in Northern Minnesota’s wooded region and located on the shore of Lake Bemidji, Bemidji State University sponsors 15 varsity athletic programs with NCAA Division I men’s and women’s hockey membership in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, while its 13 NCAA Division II programs hold membership in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference (NSIC).