Although the team was missing two of its top three singles players and was forced to shuffle up two of its three doubles teams, BSU was just points from gaining a 5-4 team victory.
BSU's teams of Sarah Berg/Emily Berg and Kristen Lexcen/Emily Foster won their respective doubles matches at No. 2 and No. 3 positions respectively while the newly formed pair of Sherry Kuzel/Holly Gilbertson pushed the USD team of Maya Ristic /Michelle Hogan to a tie-breaker before dropping the No. 1 doubles match 10-8.
Holding a 2-1 lead going into single's play, the Beavers struggled gaining just one team point at No. 6 singles where Gilbertson defeated Brittany Neiles in straight sets (6-0, 6-0).
The Beavers entered the non-conference match short two of its regular players. Senior Angie Harrison (Virginia, Minn.) was out due to an injury suffered last week during her singles match while Melissa Fogelson (So., Bemidji, Minn.) was absent from her No. 1 singles post traveling away from the team.
The loss drops BSU to 4-8 on the season. The win was the first of the young 2005 campaign for the Coyotes who improved to 1-4 overall.
BSU will be back in action Saturday (March 20) when it will travel to Moorhead, Minn. to face Concordia College. The Beavers look to make it two in a row over the non-conference opponent after defeating the Cobbers 5-4 at home March 5th.
University of South Dakota 6, Bemidji State University
3/11/2005 at Duluth, Minn.
1. Maya Ristic (USD) def. Sherry Kuzel (BSU) 6-2, 6-1
2. Michelle Hogan (USD) def. Emily Berg (BSU) 6-2, 6-2
3. Rachel Kludt (USD) def. Sarah Berg (BSU) 6-0, 6-3
4. Catherine Stoos (USD) def. Kristin Lexcen (BSU) 3-6, 6-1, 10-8
5. Brittany Johnson (USD) def. Emily Foster (BSU) 6-2, 6-2
6. Holly Gilbertson (BSU) def. Brittany Neiles (USD) 6-0, 6-0
1. Maya Ristic/Michelle Hogan (USD) def. Holly Gilbertson/Sherry Kuzel (BSU) 10-8
2. Sarah Berg/Emily Berg (BSU) def. Rachel Kludt/Catherine Stoos (USD) 8-6
3. Kristin Lexcen/Emily Foster (BSU) def. Brittany Johnson/Brittany Neiles (USD) 8-2
Bemidji State University 4-8; 2-1 NSIC
University of South Dakota 1-4