Bemidji State slipped behind UMD early dropping each of three doubles contests to head into singles competition in a 3-0 hole.
In singles play, the Beavers knew they would have their work cut out for them. When the teams met in mid-February, UMD struggled at No. 1 and 2 singles but one the final four contests in decisive fashion. BSU's was able to steal one team point when No. 2 singles player Kali Welu rattled off her third consecutive collegiate win. But Saturday would be different. The Bulldogs topped BSU at each of the six singles spots to complete the sweep and continue its unbeaten streak versus the Beavers to eight matches dating back to March 7, 1999.
"The scores this week were reflective of playing a solid tennis team on their home courts," stated BSU head tennis Coach Dr. Tom Hokanson.
The loss drops BSU to 0-7 overall while the team is 0-3 versus NSIC competition. Minnesota Duluth improves to 6-2 overall.
The Beavers will be off for the next two weeks due to spring break but will return to action Mar. 25-26 when they hosts a pair of matches in the Gillette Fitness/Recreation Center. Saturday Mar, 25th, BSU welcomes NSIC foe University of Minnesota-Crookston at 10 a.m. while it will turn around to battle non-conference opponent St. Cloud State University at 9 a.m. Sunday.
Bemidji State University vs Minnesota Duluth (Mar 04, 2006)
Minnesota Duluth 9, Bemidji State University 0
Mar 04, 2006 at Duluth, Minn.
1. Hockett, Anna (UMD) def. Fogelson, Melissa (BSU) 6-1, 6-4
2. Skildum, Kara (UMD) def. Welu, Kali (BSU) 6-0, 6-2
3. Standke, Beth (UMD) def. Lexcen, Kristen (BSU) 6-1, 6-3
4. Schultz, Stacy (UMD) def. Kapsner, Julie (BSU) 6-3, 6-1
5. Hasner, Jamie (UMD) def. Jespersen, Jenna (BSU) 6-0, 6-3
6. Mock, Andrea (UMD) def. Erickson, Amy (BSU) 6-1, 6-1
1. Hockett, Anna/Skildum, Kara (UMD) def. Fogelson, Melissa/Welu, Kali (BSU) 8-2
2. Schultz, Stacy/Standke, Beth (UMD) def. Lexcen, Kristen/Jespersen, Jenna (BSU) 8-0
3. Hasner, Jamie/Mock, Andrea (UMD) def. Erickson, Amy/Kapsner, Julie (BSU) 8-2
Minnesota Duluth 6-2; 2-1 NCC
Bemidji State University 0-7; 0-3 NSIC
Marks the eighth consecutive loss to UMD dating back to March 7, 1999